Dr Ballard is establishing a research center and may teach at the University of Rhode Island

Feb 14, 2011
In todays Boston Globe, there is an article that discusses how Dr Ballard is establishing a research center at the University of Rhode Island's Graduate School of Oceanography. Dr Ballard will teach courses, and will oversee the institute, which will engage in marine archaeology.

Finally Dr Ballard will teach- it would truly be an honor to take course under him- now i know where i hope to apply for graduate studies.

With Dr Balard becoming involved in the academia of marine archaeology, i pray interest in the field will explode- and the days when only 3 universites had marine archaology programs will end. Im hoping for the day when dozens of universities will have marine archaeology programs.

Peace

Tarn Stephanos

Feb 14, 2011
One thing I forgot to mention- the article indicates the institute at the University of Rhode Island will have deep sea technologies allowing scientsis and archeolgists to do their reasearch in the deep ocean.

It makes me wonder if Dr Ballard will ever return to the sunken Titanic. If any man deserves to visit her again- its him, after all,he lead the expedition that found her....

regards

Tarn Stephanos

Apr 14, 2001
tarn thank you for the information on dr ballard i too think that he should return to the titanic but he wont because his hope was that the ship would be left the way he saw it but times have changed since he discovered it a salvage company called rms titanic,inc went to cort and recived the rights to takew artifacts from the site and they have recovered 6,000 artifacts and that has made dr ballard very upset but i read a article from the national geographic society which he is a explorer in residence that he is going to the britanic and the purpose of that trip is to see if he can film the ship with virtual reality technology so that in the future people can visit the ship with virtual reality and if hes successful maybe he will go back to the titanic but i dont know when he will do this i hope this answers your question jennifer mueller