Dr Ballard's New Expedition

Scott Newman

Jun 16, 2004
John, Paul,

Theres nothing quite like building your own model. I'm new at building models, but I purchased an Academy 1/350 Titanic model...it was really fun to put together but I was a little disapointed at how some of the pieces fit together though...I guess the "Deluxe" version is better but maybe some of you know...

Back to the topic of the thread, I was curious about these new ROV's that Dr. Ballard had on this expedition. Was the innovation that these new bots could go down all by themselves for hours and hours? I think the Dark Matter bots, Jake and Elwood, that Mike Cameron designed are still more advanced than the others. The fiber optic cable seemed to be problematic, but so did the cable for Dr. Ballard's, from what I've read...so give me your vote...which bots would YOU take? From an article I read last year, the U.S. military is VERY interested in Jake and Elwood. Has anybody heard anything about this? Has this topic already been discussed?

Scott

Paul Lee

Aug 11, 2003
Hi Scott,
Wait until you try and make a wrecked version of the model - or try to correct many of the errors implicit in the model - I have a Minicraft model from years ago and it doesn't have an anchor at the tip of the bow. I've finally found a supplier of small anchors (after years of trying) - in a model shop in Southampton, no less! The anchors are still a little too big so need slicing up a bit...

....and then theres cutting through 1 millimetre thick styrene plastic, which is fun. Not.

Have a look at http://www.titanicmodel.com or
http://www.buildthetitanic.co.uk

Best wishes

Paul

John Melish

May 17, 2004
Hello Ken,

I never really noticed that until you mentioned it. Not sure who thought of that one. By the way, your artwork is awesome. I can't believe how life-like they are.

Scott Newman

Jun 16, 2004
Paul,

I have looked at the TRMA site before and Michael, this is not the first time I've noticed this site being down...who knows what's going on.

I really do want to rebuild my model using the extra goodies TRMA has offered in the past.

Is there any difference between the deluxe and regular versions of the Minicraft Titanic? Maybe the only way to go is wood...too bad I'm not good with sharp things...

Scott

Mike Bull

Dec 23, 2000
LOL @ Ken's 'sigh'!

Picking up on a comment Scott made a few posts ago, I too of course think it is great that Ken occasionally posts here, though I do worry that too many eager people asking him questions all the time- no matter how well intended- might put him off us! I'm just uber-glad that we can swap words/thoughts with him, as well of course as with all the other experts in their own fields that we have here; Marconi man Parks, Olympic man Mark, authors like George Behe and David Brown, etc etc.

We- united Titanic enthusiasts as we all are, at whatever level our knowledge is- are very lucky people because of this.

Re. the ROVs, I think Ballard's system is a lot different from Jake and Elwood; Ballard's surface tehtered system was a pretty big affair, with a smaller ROV that came out of it, while J&E of course were purpose designed to be small. And as for trailing their own tether, so they don't get hung up- brilliant! One of the premier systems available for use in the deep sea, and I do hope that JC goes on some more wreck expeditions, to bring us the sort of imagery that only he can.

After he's gone back to the Turkish Bath first, of course... ;-)

Scott Newman

Jun 16, 2004
Mike,

Points well taken...I think we all have been excited to see the big names on this site. Some of us may get a little overexcited at the opportunity to communicate with these guys, that's to be sure...

As far as JC producing another wreck expedition, I suggested in the Britannic thread that he should explore that wreck. There has got to be some amazing footage in that ship. I understand the politics surrounding both the wreck itself and Cameron "following" Ballard around, but heck, I wouldn't mind...

Keep the comments coming...some interesting conversation on this site.

Scott

Mike Bull

Dec 23, 2000
I don't mind if JC follows Ballard around-that way, we get some proper coverage of the wrecks, not just enough to satisfy whatever is the latest National Geo book/TV deal...

I mean, both JC's Titanic and Bismarck work have been absolutely stunning.

Scott Newman

Jun 16, 2004
AMEN Mike,

As for the ROV's, here's a question for you...why was only Elwood shown searching the wreck in the Bismarck special. Did they just want to verify to "investors" that Elwood truly was okay after the Titanic incident? Or was Jake busted? I'm sorry, this message is so amateur, but that's what I am! lol

Scott

Dec 24, 1997
Wrong Thread BUT Re visiting the Masthead light.
Regarding the photo I posted a few pages back, I have been closely looking at the rigging plan and other plans and have found that indeed the Masthead Light was mounted on a bracket the wiring coming from inside the mast and the light itself was about 2-3 inches from touching the mast itself with deflector shields on each side to keep the light from being visible from the stern. Cheers Jon

Sean Hankins

May 15, 2004
Hi John,

Last I heard the "Big Piece" would be in conservation for a few months and wouldn't be going to Philadelphia. Hopefully it will rejoin the "A" exhibit after Philly. (If anyone knows different please correct me). A few months sounds like a long time but for them to even move it takes enough time in itself. The workers used a great deal of care when moving it. It was amazing to watch everyone in the museum stop what they were doing while they were moving the piece and just look at it in awe.

Paul Lee

Aug 11, 2003
Returning briefly to the stern plaque debate:
you can just about see Cameron's 2001 plaque on the stern in the "Return to the Titanic" show, but it is not clearly visible.

The "strap" that Bollard mistook for his plaque on the ocean floor below the stern made me think that this was the handling strap - the plaque being in the sediment, until I checked 1986 dive video and found that the strap on on that plaque had orange nylon rope.

If you want to find the plaque, look beneath the poop, but my guess is its been driven into the mud by the submersibles landing there to look at the propellors.

Cheers

Paul

Jan 21, 2003
Has anyone watched the titanic special on the National Geographic Channel about ballards return to Titanic? Does anyone agree thats its not that good? He complains about all the damage supposedly done by subs. I think he should be happy to see her again and that she is still there.

Reactions: 1 user

Cam Houseman

Jul 14, 2020
Maryland, USA
Agreed, David - acrimony has no place in this thread (or any other). I think it's important to note that Kritina had already re-thought her response and was going to edit it, but the responses put her on a more defensive footing. Unfortunately this happens sometimes - people are usually open to rethinking their position, or at least agreeing to disagree in a civil fashion, but a hard-line response puts the back up. I would just like to address a couple of points from the point of view of a diver, hopefully to help clarify how we approach this occasionally hazardous activity.

Yes, some divers (just like some people in general) do act irresponsibly. This phenomena - over-riding known risks because of a desire for artefacts - has even been given the name 'China Fever' in connection with the Andrea Doria, and a book of that name has been written about the Andrea Doria deaths. You did not draw that distinction, however, and said 'any diver' who dived on the wreck deserved their fate.

I've dived with some irresponsible divers and questioned the wisdom of whoever it was who gave them their certification, but their deaths would still have saddened me, and I would have thought them tragic.

The questions of why we take risks is one to which there are a variety of individual responses, some of them murky and ill-defined and others quite clear. I dive the ocean, and wrecks, because of an insatiable curiousity and an appreciation for beauty. I dive with sharks, for example, not because of any desire to feel an adrenaline surge, but because I think they are exquisitely lovely (same reason I dive with harmless manta rays). Exploring a wreck underwater, suspended, is flying into another world. Adrenaline does come into it sometimes - there's nothing like being in a ripping current off a reef corner when the pelagics come into play. Being alert and feeling alive and charged is something to cherish, but not for everyone. I respect the wishes of those who prefer the safety of dry land, even if I don't, on an emotional level, quite understand why, just as my decision to swim out beyond the breakers and freedive down to visit blue grouper is no doubt equally incomprehensible to some.

I'd like to dive the Andrea Doria out of fascination with the wreck and its history, just as I'd like to dive the Britannic.​
and if it was possible, Titanic