Dr Joe McInnis was speaker at our luncheon info on Last Mysteries

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jaime Croft Larsen

Afternoon All,

We just had our annual convention this past week, (7000+ delegates and Calgary was under flood conditions...OH MY!), and Dr. Joe McInnis was our luncheon speaker. Needless to say I was very excited and now all my fellow employees know about my Titanic "interests".

Anyway...he did touch on Cameron's next expedition to Titanic, of which he is a member of the crew. They will be focusing on the bow, but not the stern, and he specifically mentioned getting a closer look at the turkish baths and marconi room. He also stated that this will be Cameron's last trip to Titanic. He is very excited about their live broadcast.

Overall it was a very interesting presentation covering all of his deep sea interests/excursions. He was a pleasure to meet as well.

Just thought you would all like to know!

Cheers - Jaime

Jason D. Tiller

Aug 20, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Hi Jaime,

I was not aware that Joseph McInnis is a member of this expedition, so that's good to hear he is. I'm sure the presentation he gave was very interesting, that would have been a pleasure to listen to.

Joe lives here in Toronto, but I have not had the pleasure yet of meeting him. Hopefully, one of these days I will. That's terrific that you got the chance to meet him!

Thanks for mentioning this.

Best wishes,

Jason
happy.gif

Mar 3, 1998
I'm sitting in the conference room of the Keldysh in St. Johns on a wireless connection and ran across this thread. I asked Joe to come over and read what was being written about him. He thought that it was simply amazing that he could speak in Calgary on Monday and read about it in a public forum just a few days later. This was his introduction to the online Titanic community.

Isn't the Internet amazing?

Parks

Mar 3, 1998
Well, I had a heck of a time getting to St. Johns yesterday (my troubles would make for an entertaining book on its own) and found when I arrived that I am assigned to a mattress on the floor of a stateroom. However, this is more than offset by the atmosphere...Jim Cameron sat down with Ken, Don and I during breakfast and we talked about all the places we could visit in the wreck for the next few hours. I found the situation to be pleasantly surreal.

I have a few hours before we sail and I want to visit the Marconi wireless station here while I have the chance. I won't have Internet connectivity during the transit to the wrecksite, so I will probably be radio silent for the next few days. I'll try and check in again once we arrive.

Parks

Jason D. Tiller

Aug 20, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Good to hear you made it there alright. I have no doubt that the discussion was a dream!

That Marconi station would be very interesting to visit. I look forward to hearing more from you, when you have a chance again to post.

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
"We will certainly be in for a treat", when the approved information is sent here.
Parks: I truly envy you. The great things to come from this trip will more than compensate for whatever happened to Parks, on his journey to Saint Johns.

J

Jaime Croft Larsen

Hi Parks!

The internet is amazing isn't it! Please let Dr. McInnis know that I was just as tickled to learn he had seen my post. He is a lovely public speaker and we all greatly enjoyed his talk. (I myself was simply trying not to act like an idiot over the fact that I was "this-close" to an actual Titanic person and then doing my best not to squeal over the six-gill shark footage. Bad experience with JAWS when I was four... I agree...you all needed a MUCH bigger sub!) Still, Titanic related or not, there was much food for thought in what he said.

Oh, and my fellow employees have finally stopped razzing me over Titanic and our now finding my additional information on the events/people Dr. McInnis discussed quite interesting. (Thank heaven...) We, (I work as Communications Manager for the Canadian Society of Petroleum Geologists, the host society for the event Dr. McInnis was at), put on a public address each year and I would greatly love to get Titanic on as the topic. We have actually had Emory Kristoff speak twice - last year on the deep vents - and Ballard was here in the late 80's. Considering all the drilling taking place off the Atlantic coast, I would think the current state of the ship and how the steel is being effected would be of particular interest to the earth/petroleum scientists out here.

Anyway... Parks, I am just so thrilled for you. Obviously we all are. While I only post now and then, I am on here daily and it is amazing to see someone "living out the dream". For many of us, your reports are just as surreal as your feeling of actually being there. Thanks so much for sharing it with us.

Take care,

Jaime

Status
Not open for further replies.