Dropped dead after reading about titanic

Encyclopedia Titanica

Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
After reading the story of the survivors of the Titanic disaster John J. Keep of 875 Belmont avenue Brooklyn dropped dead. ... Chicago American Mon, 22 Apr 1912

More...

Adam Went

Apr 28, 2003
Strangely enough this isn't an uncommon phenomenon. I've encountered a fair amount of stories over the years of people who have dropped dead after hearing word of a major catastrophic event......such news gives everybody a shock, clearly it has a bigger effect on some than others!

Cheers,
Adam.

Jan 4, 2007
Strangely enough this isn't an uncommon phenomenon. I've encountered a fair amount of stories over the years of people who have dropped dead after hearing word of a major catastrophic event......such news gives everybody a shock, clearly it has a bigger effect on some than others!

Cheers,
Adam.

Adam:

It's true, now this doesn't have anything to do with Titanic, but I remember reading about when Marilyn Monroe died, that soon after a spat of suicides occured in LA, and even world wide. Strange, sudden deaths, seem to follow major occurances (JFK assassination, other world shattering events), and people react oddly to them--and not necessarily relatives or friends, could be people who had actually nothing to do with the event, yet react in an adverse way . . . as far at Titanic gpes. I've found several news items of odd reactions to the event--in one case an aunt of one of the victims succumbed within days of getting the news, others with no links at all committing suicide . . . not sure how to describe this strange phenomenon, but it does happen . . .

Warmest,
Tom

Arun Vajpey

Apr 21, 2009
I've encountered a fair amount of stories over the years of people who have dropped dead after hearing word of a major catastrophic event.
Cheers,
Adam.

Quite true. I recall reading in the papers that in the 1970 Football (Soccer to the Americans :rolleyes:) World Cup, the then titleholders England faced Germany in the Quarter Finals. After being 2-0 up and half time, England lost 2-3 and it was considered a major catastrophic event. A guy smashed his TV and shot himself but if I recall correctly, he survived.

Jan 4, 2007
Quite true. I recall reading in the papers that in the 1970 Football (Soccer to the Americans :rolleyes:) World Cup, the then titleholders England faced Germany in the Quarter Finals. After being 2-0 up and half time, England lost 2-3 and it was considered a major catastrophic event. A guy smashed his TV and shot himself but if I recall correctly, he survived.

There was a series of bizarre deaths following the foundering of Titanic, many of the items I had, of course, have already been given to ET, what's amazing is that I keep finding more! Of course one could claim these things just coincide, that the aunt of Titanicvictim Maguire may have already been ill for a long time--hearing of his death, made her more despondent--as such not at all unusual; suicides take place, not all can be attached to a specific event--but it is strange how because of certain happenings (sinkings, crashes, deaths of notables (Marilyn, Elvis), these things seem to jump in number . . . it may never really ever be known what the full death total of Titanic is . . .

Adam Went

Apr 28, 2003
Hi Thomas and Arun,

You have both listed some good examples of this phenomenon there, it really is quite strange but I guess the shock of such news in the heat of the moment can trigger some people to do something silly - or perhaps if they are already not of very good health, the shock is enough to make them drop on the spot.

The Jack the Ripper murders is another case in point, there's numerous reports in newspapers of people either taking their own lives or keeling over when they heard that there had been another brutal murder. Mind you, that was in the Victorian era when things were a bit more.....delicate I suppose you could say.

It would be more understandable if it was a relative or friend of somebody who was likely to be deceased, but yes, quite often these were individuals who had no personal attachment to the disaster at all!

Cheers,
Adam.