S

sashka pozzetti

This is really, really sad. I can't believe that anyone would steal such a beautiful drawing from a museum. Lucile must have been spinning in her grave. Thank God it has been found. I will keep my eye out for any more. This make me really mad, because someone stole some things of mine and they were not worth as much as this surely is, but they were precious to me. Whoever stole all these things should do an honest days work like the rest of us. Sorry, I am really mad, as Lucile is my favourite!!!

S

sashka pozzetti

Ok, so am I being really dumb here, whilst everyone else has worked this out? (That is what happens to me at night, the brain goes weak!) But is this controversy above somehow connected to another Lucile controversy? Have I been left completely behind here???

lewis orchard

Feb 25, 2006
The two 'controversy's' are connected.

Both involve an individual selling items, that have been connected to the Duff-Gordon family but with inaccurate provenances.

The sketch above had been stolen from a major Museum library collection in London

Another item bought from the same individual had been stolen from a Special Collections Library in New York.

Both items have been returned by myself to the rightful owners without fuss or financial recompense, for obvious reasons. Sadly both items had been irredeemably damaged in an attempt to disguise their true origins. One item had been torn from a book, the other defaced with a biro, and cropped with scissors.

Any further related information is welcomed, as
the matter is ongoing. I can be contacted through this site.

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
I will be in a position to ask questions on this matter this coming October. Anything you would care to have asked, please forward to me.

>Both items have been returned by myself to the rightful owners without fuss or financial recompense,

Were you not able to file suit against the individual? You are at least entitled to restitution. If he/she knowingly sold you stolen goods, could not charges be filed? If the items crossed state or international boundaries, this becomes a bit more complex~ particularly because the items have been returned to their rightful owners. Are you seeking others who may have unknowingly purchased stolen goods from this man/woman, who are still in possession of them, but who are willing to forfeit them for the sake of doing what is morally correct? This is the best bet for prosecution.

If the statute of limitations has not been reached, you should definitely seek legal help in getting the money you paid this individual returned.

lewis orchard

Feb 25, 2006
Just to Clarify;

The items sold to me with an inaccurate provenance are connected with an item sold to another collector.

There are other related issues and I would suggest that anyone who is offered a partial book manuscript about 'Lucile' to consider, should compare it with a published PHD written by Dr Victoria Steele of UCLA.

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
Fascinating! I hope to find a copy of both works before October. An individual in the position to know quite a few answers is making a public appearance then, and myself and a friend who is a reporter (who has been following this story with interest) have some very pointed questions we plan on asking.