DUMB Question Here Ibd like to know how many of you miss the Titanic

Teri Lynn Milch

Apr 7, 2001
ET Members,

Just wondering what the feelings are out there regarding Titanic today. Mad, happy, sad, frustrated or what?

Me? My feelings are sad that she's gone, frustrated that no one has built another one like her, and happy that I have ET members to talk to!

Teri

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Uh...feelings? I don't know that I've ever really given it much thought. To me, it's more an excercise in history, but one that I have a very deep interest in.

The Titanic is one of the most notorious maritime disasters of all time, perhaps the most over documented as well, yet it's amazing how much of what is generally taken as fact is either mythic, distorted, or just plain wrong. (Like the 300ft gash thing.) The fun is trying to sort through all of this to get at the hard nuggets of fact.

I think it's also worth my while to learn something of the people, their times, their hopes, dreams, aspirations, and some of the hard realities they had to live with. In many crucial respects, they weren't all that different from us.

By the way, that's a nice photo of you in your profile.

Hope this helps.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

May 5, 2001
Hello There Teri & Mike,

What feelings do The Titanic bring to me?, well obviously, this event happened 42 years before I was born so on that scale, it doesn't evoke anything and if I was not the fanatic that I am about it, like Mike said, it is just another History lesson BUT, fortunately, my feelings are ever widening where the Titanic is concerned, I have been to the RMS Titanic Exhibit in Atlantic City, New Jersey back in 1999 and it moved me, esepcially when I got to the personal effects section toward the end of the exhibit, I felt a sense of awe that the personal effects I was looking at once belonged to a human being who died as a result of this tragedy.

It was almost more than I could bear....I held back emotions because my wife was with me and she is not as much of a Titanic fanatic as I am...I have books, CD soundtracks of a couple of Titanic movies, I have music of the Era, I have Videos of Titanic specials up the Wahzoo, I have an unfinished 3 foot model of The Big T behind me in the box it came in that I need to finish...Oh yeah, I would say that The Titanic has touched my life........perhaps a bit too much for some.

Regards,
Bill

Teri Lynn Milch

Apr 7, 2001
Dear William,

Did you happen to take any photos of the exhibit in New Jersey? If so, could you post them on the exhibit thread or could you email them to me? Click on my profile and my email address will be available.

I know, some things about Titanic are really hard to confront. Some of us are more close to Titanic more than we'd like to think. Do you really think she would have thought you odd if you had shown your strong emotions towards Titanic that day at the exhibit? Gawd I am so sorry that you had to hold them back and I wish I was there to have helped you along. Thank you very much for sharing that with me. I am fortunate enough to live by myself and have no spouse to hide emotions from. I can cry to my hearts content all I want, I do love this freedom I have at home.

So Titanic has touched your life - - but this is not too much for me.

Sincerely Yours,

Teri

May 5, 2001
Did you happen to take any photos of the exhibit in New Jersey? If so, could you post them on the exhibit thread or could you email them to me? Click on my profile and my email address will be available.

Good evening once again Teri and like I said before, thank you for your thoughts....unfortunately, due to the fact that RMS Titanic owned the rights to this stuff, Cameras were not allowed in the exhibit Hall, I am sorry, I couldn't even take a picture of THE BIG PIECE that was sitting out in a pool on the boardwalk, I was disappointed but I shall cherish that exhibit forever.

I know, some things about Titanic are really hard to confront. Some of us are more close to Titanic more than we'd like to think. Do you really think she would have thought you odd if you had shown your strong emotions towards Titanic that day at the exhibit? Gawd I am so sorry that you had to hold them back and I wish I was there to have helped you along. Thank you very much for sharing that with me. I am fortunate enough to live by myself and have no spouse to hide emotions from. I can cry to my hearts content all I want, I do love this freedom I have at home.

Well I really didn't hold it back but my wife noticed that I had a considerable amount of fluid in my eyes....she knows this effects me greatly and just basically doesn't say anything to diminish it.

So Titanic has touched your life - - but this is not too much for me.

You mean by the standpoint of The tragedy?...Hmmm you should go to an exhibit sometime!
happy.gif

Sincerly,
Bill

Teri Lynn Milch

Apr 7, 2001
Michael,

Thanks for the compliment on my photo.

And thanks for sharing your thoughts on Titanic.

I agree that it can be quite frustrating trying to get at the facts when so many people are pouring on falsities regarding the Titanic. It is so irritating.

And you're right that many of the passengers were very much like we are today. We have dreams and hopes too, just like they did back in 1912. Well I hope your journey into Titanic's passengers has been an adventurous one for you!

Bill,

So you say Titanic has touched your life. Then I said that it was not too much for me. By that yes - - from the standpoint of the tragedy. It is actually sometimes a bit much for me to confront, but then I am fine just a short while later.

Hey Bill! I HAVE been to a Titanic exhibit - - to the one in Las Vegas! It was superb! It just so happens that at the time I saw this exhibit Titanic hadn't engulfed me like it has THESE days and so when I saw the exhibit it didn't create such an effect as it might have created on me today. If I go back to that same exhibit I will probably have to make sure I bring come kleenex with me!

But I tell you that I don't have to go to an exhibit to get a huge effect. I could be seeing a photo online and all of sudden I realize this online photo has created a huge effect on me. That's when it's time to break out the old machine gun....

Teri

Tracy Smith

Apr 20, 2012
South Carolina USA
I know that I cried during the final sinking scene in Cameron's Titanic. I thought of my great grandparents who had nearly booked passage on this ship...if they had gone ahead with their plans, they could have easily been part of this group, clinging to the stern at the end.

May 5, 2001
So you say Titanic has touched your life. Then I said that it was not too much for me. By that yes - - from the standpoint of the tragedy. It is actually sometimes a bit much for me to confront, but then I am fine just a short while later.

It isn't so much that it is difficult to stare it down and meet it head on, it's just the end result is a bit much.....ya think you can stand it but then you look at all the destruction and death and you forget about how stoic you are about it.

Hey Bill! I HAVE been to a Titanic exhibit - - to the one in Las Vegas! It was superb! It just so happens that at the time I saw this exhibit Titanic hadn't engulfed me like it has THESE days and so when I saw the exhibit it didn't create such an effect as it might have created on me today. If I go back to that same exhibit I will probably have to make sure I bring come kleenex with me!

Well it came back to Atlantic City last year and I was ready to go again but never made it there unfortunately...but next time.....FER SURE!

But I tell you that I don't have to go to an exhibit to get a huge effect. I could be seeing a photo online and all of sudden I realize this online photo has created a huge effect on me. That's when it's time to break out the old machine gun....

Well I will try to keep that in mind if I ever want to E-Mail you some pics......."Let's see, Titanic pics to Teri.....E-Mail.....DUCK!"

Sincerly,
Bill

May 5, 2001
I know that I cried during the final sinking scene in Cameron's Titanic. I thought of my great grandparents who had nearly booked passage on this ship...if they had gone ahead with their plans, they could have easily been part of this group, clinging to the stern at the end.

Good evening Tracy, I didn't cry during the sinking sequence of the ship itself mainly because I have seen it in so many different films over the years but what got to me was the sequences of the people inside the ship when the water was cascading through the dome and the people are struggling to save themselves and the carnage of the bodies in the water afterwards, especially the mother with the baby..NOW THAT, even though it was only a scene in the movie, was moving enough to get choked up.

Sincerly,
Bill

May 5, 2001
Must be SOME photo if it calls for a machine gun.

Hi Mike, you shouldn't post messages like this when I have a mouthful of coffee, you almost caused my death from choking......It wasn't so much how you said it but what you said with the smiley face afterwards....I completely lost it!

I feel terrible laughing because I know deep in my heart that there is nothing funny here but that was just too much Mike

I sincerly apologize Teri, I really meant no disrespect, it's just the kind of day I had!

Cordially,
Bill

Teri Lynn Milch

Apr 7, 2001
Bill,

You can send me any Titanic photos that you like, don't worry about me. Since learning of Titanic and her short life on the sea I have had to handle many things so you don't need to be careful in what Titanic photos you send me. Gees, a frozen mom with a child cradled in her arms in Cameron's film - - what scene could be worse to look at than that?

So go ahead and send me whatever Titanic photos you want. I welcome them all.

No disrespect taken on the machine gun thing, it was kinda funny really.

Sincerely,

Teri

E

Emily Bisignano

The Titanic tragedy didn't shock the world for nothing. I remember when I saw the movie in '97 and when the movie was over, everybody was walking out either crying or in total shock. I was bawling my eyes out along with my step-sister. This truly was an unspeakable tragedy. I take a moment of silence everyday in rememberance of those on Titanic. I think about all the passengers, the ship itself, and especially what was going on inside of Mr. Andrew's head when he said that the ship had an hour or so to live. I think about the crew trying to convince some people that this was "merely a precaution" and the women that refused to leave their husbands. I'm outraged beyond belief that such a tragedy happened but at the same time I'm grateful that it happened because it needed to. People couldn't get away with such overconfidence forever. Nature had to teach man that he doesn't try to overrule her and get away with it. The Titanic disaster prepared people for he turbulent times ahead.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Well Bill, that'll larn ya about drinkin' java when coming onto one of my posts. I can be deadly serious one minute and just plain deadly with the gags the next.

Look on the bright side, I could have gone for the nuclear option. Don't glow away mad....(heh heh heh!)

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

May 5, 2001
Teri Milch-
~~~~~~~~~~~
Gees, a frozen mom with a child cradled in her arms in Cameron's film - - what scene could be worse to look at than that?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lets get real here.....that quote up there from your post leaves me with one question:
That one scene spoke volumes for the tragedy so why would even bother comparing that?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Emily Bisignano-
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I think about all the passengers, the ship itself, and especially what was going on inside of Mr. Andrew's head when he said that the ship had an hour or so to live.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hello Emily...I think it is pretty safe to say that the minute..............the second Mr. Andrews announced that the ship was doomed, Ismay, Andrews AND The Captain knew that alot of people were going to die because there were not enough lifeboats....especially since Ismay got into one of them.

Sincerly,
Bill

Teri Lynn Milch

Apr 7, 2001
Bill,

From your earlier posting you seemed worried about sending me horrific photographs so I wanted to convey to you that I have seen the worst of photos, (as far as I know) the one being the mom with the frozen child in Cameron's movie. So then since I have seen the worst of photos, any additional photos could not be as horrible, at least in my own opinion insofar. That's all I was inferring to in my earlier posting of Friday May 11 and nothing more.

Emily - There has to be another way of teaching man not to practice overconfidence than sinking a ship and creating a catastrophe.

Teri

A

Alexis Shaver

I'm glad the Titanic was invented. Although I dred the fact it sunk. Alle

J

Jared Berger

The scenes in Cameron's Titanic with the Grand Staircase flooding and the people getting sucked into windows, and the first class corridor with water blasting down the halls and through doors made me think a lot about the real thing, the people who were affected, and the pain and suffering.

Leona Nolan

Dec 17, 2002
The Titanic just fills me with sadness and fascination!!!

Fascinated by the absolute beauty and grandeur of the ship, the class structure, the crew and passengers life stories,how the Titanic sinking impacted on the lives of people in 1912 and of the people today in 2003
happy.gif

No other ship sinking seems to have had such an impact on people
happy.gif

Kyrila Scully

Apr 15, 2001
South Florida
Impact is an interesting word choice, as I have been pondering what to name my new non-profit org dedicated to teaching about Titanic in the schools, libraries, etc. I was just asking someone the other day what he thought of the name "Titanic Impact?" What do the rest of you think? Too tacky, or just right? (Bearing in mind that I do want to impact people with not only a love of history, but an inspiration that they can overcome and survive personal tragedy.)

Kyrila