E Deck help please

Oct 28, 2009
Dear ETers
I am trying to find out more about E-deck. I understand this was the deck that had Scotland Road on it. Was it called Scotland Road? or Scotland Row?
Thanks
Tina

Oct 28, 2009
Dear All
I would be really grateful if someone could help clarify some questions I have about E-Deck:

1) Was Scotland Road also called Park Lane? Or was this a separate corridor on starboard where the 1st class passengers were?
2) Was Scotland Road the highest continuous corridor on the ship running from front to back, connecting the two 3rd class sections fore and aft?
3) Would Scotland Road have been the main route up and out of the ship for steerage passengers?
4) Was Scotland Road the main transit route for crew?
5) Was E-deck the only deck with all classes of passengers and crew? If that is the case, were the classes separated?
6) I understand structurally the E Deck was called the freeboard deck - because it was the deck to which the majority of the watertight bulkheads rose and stopped. If this is the case - what role would E-Deck have played on the night of the disaster?

best wishes
Tina

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Scotland Road. Named after a real street in Liverpool which was the central axis of the multi-ethnic working class area of the city (and had 200 pubs along its length!) Lots of ships, not just the Titanic, had a 'Scotland Road', which was officially termed the 'working alleyway'.

Mar 22, 2003
Chicago, IL, USA
www.titanicology.com
Hi Tina,

I saw this after I received your private email to me. So others can see it and provide addition comment, I have included my response to your questions below:

>>The answers to your questions are:

1) It may be, I heard that term once before. Scottland Road was also known as the working corridor because many of the victualling staff lived there as did some other members of the crew. I have never heard of any name for the much smaller corridor on the starboard side where the 1st class cabins were.

2) Yes.

3) No, not if all the watertight doors on E deck were closed. There were other ways to gain access to the upper decks from each compartment. But it connected and provided access for the 3rd class forward with the 3rd class aft.

4) For most of the victualling crew yes. Most, but not all, of deck department crew were house in forecastle and would not need to use it. The engineering department also had separate access to the areas where they worked. Firemen, greasers, and trimmers had access to the engine and boiler rooms via their own tunnel from their quarters in the forecastle. Most engineers had quarters on F deck above the engine rooms.

5) I believe D deck also had spaces for all three class and crew. The areas were kept separate.

6) E deck was called the bulkhead deck because many of the watertight bulkheads went as high as E deck. However, the first two and last six bulkheads were taken up to D deck. The ship was design to float with the any two adjacent compartments flooded as you may have read. It also could stay afloat if the first four compartments flooded. However, because there was major damage to the first 5 compartments, water in the forward compartments would have gone over the top of the bulkheads thereby flooding more compartments aft. As a result, there was no way to save the ship. For more information about this, please check out this page on my website: Practically Unsinkable.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
1) 2nd Officer Lightoller's reference to 'Park Lane' does not locate it precisely: I had been right fore and aft several decks, along a passage known as Park Lane, leading through the bowels of the ship on one side, and bringing me out by a short cut to the after deck. But it's notable that Scotland Road is the only one of these two very long passages that goes all the way aft.
2) It was the only connection between the fore and aft 3rd Class areas.
3) The single men quartered forward needed to use it to get aft. There were emergency exits located along it, but from the stern the main 3rd Class stairs were a direct route to the open decks.
4) Yes, if they needed to get right forward from right aft or vice versa, as did Lightoller on his inspection tour. But many, like the firemen, would have no reason to use it.
5) No - D deck also accommodated crew as well as all three passenger Classes. And yes, all Classes were well segregated.
6) I'll leave that one to the rivet counters!

Oct 28, 2009
Thank you for your help. Apologies if I put it on more than one thread. I wasn't getting quite confused! I read that Park Lane was the 1st class corridor on E-deck, running parallel for some of the way to Scotland Road. My source was this:

http://library.thinkquest.org/18626/SLure.html

The long, wide passage that ran along the port side of E deck and was a popular route with the crew and steerage passengers, was nicknamed "Scotland Road" after the bustling, working-class thoroughfare in Liverpool, the Titanic’s port of registration. Meanwhile, a narrower passage on the starboard side of E deck, which was for first-class use, was known as "park Lane" after the fashionable street in London’s Mayfair. Virtually all the liner’s most impressive facilities were solely for the use of the first-class.