Earthquake Near Indonesia

Jason D. Tiller

Dec 3, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Gentlemen,

I moved this topic to here, where it's more appropriate.

The death toll now stands at 60,000, but it will continue to rise no doubt. Scientists predicated that we would be seeing more severe weather due to climate change, but it's still an unbelievable disaster.

Susan Alby

Oct 22, 2004
Scary (unreal) photo right after the moment of impact at a resort in Sri Lanka less than four hours after the earth quake.
93420.jpg

Jeremy Lee

Jun 12, 2003
Death toll now exceeds 80,000

Here's the breakdown:

Indonesia - 45,268
Sri Lanka - 22,493
India - 10,850
Thailand - 1,829
Somalia - 100
Myanmar - 90
Malaysia - 65
Maldives - 55
Tanzania - 10
Bangladesh - 2
Kenya - 1

TOTAL - 80,763

Its amazing that here in Singapore it is unaffected, excepts for slight tremors.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Singapore at least seems to have been in the lee side of some of these shockwaves from the earthquake which caused all of this. Very fortunately I might add as a staggering amount of shipping of all kinds goes past Singapore when transiting the Straits of Malacca. Imagine if you will, one of those huge LNG tankers being hurled up against the city itself...or several of them. You'd be sweeping up what's left with a broom.

Jeremy Lee

Jun 12, 2003
LOL! Luckily we have Sumatra the land mass to block, if it happened on the other side (but then there's no tectonic plate there) at the Celebes, Singapore would be finished. Immediately.

Feb 14, 2011
115,000 poeople dead...What a nightmare..It makes 911 pale in comparison.
After 911, then this tragedy, Ive gone from being an agnostic to a pure athiest..Seeing images of hundreds of dead children killed off my belief of a compassionate god.....

Lets hope all nations can overcome greed and the lust for war, and for once exercise compassion for their fellow human, by coming together to help the victims of this tragedy...

Tarn Stephanos

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
Saw a Tsunami fund collector in the street yesterday. Every passerby contributed - I've never seen such a uniform response.

I can understand why some people lose their faith, Tarn...and also why it strengthens the faith of others.

Living by the sea, I've been haunted most of my life by dreams about the tide receding far out to sea...the prelude to a Tsunami. Although we live high on a headland above sheer cliffs of a couple of hundred feet, I've dreamed I've stood on our top story balconies and watched the sea come higher and higher until it was engulfing our home. It was only in adulthood when discussing these dreams with neighbours that I disovered we had all had nearly identical visions, so primal is that fear of the rising waters.

When I heard about the tide going out unnaturally fast and far before the Tsunamis hit, I could have sobbed. There must have been some people there who knew what it prefigured...that such an unnatural event was a classic sign of the giant waves. But many visitors thought it was a normal local event, and many tourists and locals would never have heard about pre-Tsunami phenomena. So the children went out to collect fish and shells. It doesn't bear thinking about.

The world is responding with an outpouring of generosity - I've found the people around me giving with a spontaneous compassion and liberality I've never seen. I just hope this continues long after this event has faded from the headlines, because the effects of the disaster will be around for generations.

H

Harriet Collingham

It is such a harrowing and destructive force, that it can take away stability and permanence so quickly. The suffering is horrendous and we should do what we can to alleviate it by any means we have

Susan Alby

Oct 22, 2004
When a horrible destructive event like this strikes, we all need to pull together and reach out by donating whatever we can to help. We have dealt with these disasters before and we will get thru this one.

For those survivors, who have lost everything, all they have left to live on is their FAITH.

Please pray for their families and for those who are still missing.

Jan 5, 2001
It is indeed a tragic event -- the enormity is hard to picture.

The search engine Google has a page dedicated to various charitable organisations:

They all appear to take 'plastic,' while I am sure that there are more online payment services.

Best wishes,

Mark.

L

Laura Melinda Varjo

I was on vacation in Pennsylvania when all this happened, and first we thought it was just an earthquake, with 7000 people dead, as they said in the news. Then, for the next couple of days, I lost track on the news, came back on the 29th, and it was VERY high, now the death toll is over 130,000!!! I have seen some videos of the disaster, where the water just bursted in the hotels, swirling people in, chairs, plates, tables in the sea water, just like a scene in Titanic. My deepest symphathy to those who died, and it's very saddening, because I saw in the news today, it is already January 1st in that part of the world and so many are crying for loved ones, and they never got the chance to live up to the New Year ! Very, very sad.

Laura

Jeremy Lee

Jun 12, 2003
The death toll now stands at 150,000 and estimates that up to 300,000 feared dead due to bodies being washed out to sea and the outbreak of diseases in the affected areas.

This is so far the tsunami with the highest casualties in modern history, the next closest being an tsunami which struck the Atlantic in 1755 leaving 100,000 dead.

L

Laura Melinda Varjo

300,000 people estimated ? That is how many I've estimated, sometime during the week they said 77,000 perished, I knew the number of deaths were inclining.

I'm just relieved that no one in my friend's family was hurt, because she has relatives in India and Sri Lanka.

Jeremy Lee

Jun 12, 2003
Over here, all of us in school have to do an Community Involvement Project e.g. collection of supplies and fund-raising for those in the affected areas.

Just count ourselves lucky - this is almost 200 times worse than the Titanic!