Easton Press edition of Ballard's Titanic The Last Great Images

Feb 14, 2011
Today I received an advert from the Easton Press about the special leather bound edition of 'Titanic-The Last Great Images'. It measures 11 1/2" 11"- leather bound and accented with 22 carrot gold-Plus signed by Dr Ballard.

I'll pass- I'm only interested in 1st editions....But thought this might interest some of my fellow Titanic buffs on ET....

Steven Hall

Dec 17, 2008
Tarn, I've seen his book (normal hardback) a few times at the local bookshop. The images indeed are spectacular.
I won't be releasing the moths hiding in my wallet purchasing it though.
With the 100 year anniversary sneaking up quite quickly there'll be a lot of Titanic books re-released; a good time to top-up ones collection !
I do, personally, think the anniversary will be somewhat of a flop somehow. Call it instinct really.
With the passing of Ms. Dean (an era has ended) and the lack of availability of submersibles available for expeditions I think the golden era of Titanic has finally closed.
Speaking to a friend in (TV) program planning recently he was quite blunt; “Titanic has lost it sheen. The big audience pulling history programs today, ancient Egypt, Space / Technology and Environment (global warming)”￾.

Feb 14, 2011
Hi Steve
For years the core of hardcore Titanic buffs has always been small, but every once in awhile an event will happen to make the topic very popular and 'in'.

Walter Lord's book and film adaptation of 'A Night To Remember' made Titanic the in thing for a time, and did succeed in sparking a generation of Titanic buffs.

I remember when the wreck was found in 1985 when I was in high school, and Titanic was suddenly the topic of everyone's conversation, and overnight everyone became a Titanic buff.
Up until then I was concidered an oddity by my classmates for being so interested in the Titanic.

But after awhile, the newspapers stopped writing about the Titanic, and many people lost lost interest in the story , but a small number of dedicated Titanic buffs were created as a result of the discovery.

More recently, Titanic turned into a 'fad' for many after the James Cameron Titanic film came out, and once again, everyone seemed to turn into Titanic buffs- but many of the 'johnny come lately' Titanic buffs eventually got bored and lost interest. Some felt the story got so much exposure and coverage, they were totally burned out on the topic. Just look at how Ebay is being flooded with all manner of Titanic bricabrac...

For many people, Titanic is now a 'been there, done that' sort of thing. But of course for regulars here on ET, Titanic is a lifelong obsession...

The last James Cameron expedition to the wreck was the most comprehensive ever undertaken, so i'm left to wonder, what is there left to explore at the wrecksite- that hasn't already been explored?

Deep Ocean Expedition's public dives to the Titanic wreck are on indefinite hold as the MIR subs are no longer available-plus the public dives were not profitable.

Expeditions and public dives to the Titanic wreck WILL eventually resume (as will missions to the moon), but my guess it won't be for a LONG time-

I'll be an old man before I get a chance to dive Titanic..

2012 will be NOTHING like 1985 or 1997 when it comes to public interest in the great ship, and with Millvina Dean's passing, the last living link to the great ship and her sinking is gone...

so the title of Dr Ballard's book' 'The Last Great Images' might not be far from the truth- But I refuse to believe that expeditions to the wreck are done forever...

Steven Hall

Dec 17, 2008
I agree Tarn.
Thank heavens for ET, TRMA and Titanic Titanic sites and their boards. They've done so much to keep the memory of Titanic alive.
I love Cameron’s Titanic movie and respect his work in regards to his research dives to it.
Unless someone wants to return to Titanic and do likewise research they may as well just leave the ship alone.
Looking back...., I really think Bruce Beveridge, for all the work he has done, should have got the opportunity to visit the wreck.

Bring on the return to the Moon missions.
What a great era. The Concorde, The Jumbo Jet, the VCR, digital watches, calculators, the Beatles, Clint Eastwood / John Wayne movies and other great artists. The good old days when I had more hair on my head (the only wave in my hair now is as I wave it goodbye).
Some things to forget. The flaired pants and body shirts.
It was that cold here the other day Tarn I said to an old chap, "I'm freezing in this wind". He said, "It's a short wind today".
I said "What do you mean". He replied, "It goes through you and not around". LOL. The wisdom of the years I thought. I smiled as I walked away.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>The last James Cameron expedition to the wreck was the most comprehensive ever undertaken, so i'm left to wonder, what is there left to explore at the wrecksite- that hasn't already been explored? <<

Offhand, I would say that there's quite a bit to be explored. The wreckage lies scattered over an area in excess of four square miles and the only light you have is what you bring with you. Unless you do a very thorough and comprehensive inch by inch survey of the wrecksite, you can miss a lot that way.

Don't forget the hull. Very little attention has been paid to the stern section in part because of it's advanced state of collapse. Still, I don't think it would be too far off base to propose that there are still areas which can be accessed with an ROV.

Then there's the bow section. As thoroughly as that's been explored, there's still more which hasn't been seen. It probably won't be unless somebody does something about it soon. The wreck will not be going anywhere in our lifetimes, but it'll become more inaccessable over time as the elements do their thing.

Steven Hall

Dec 17, 2008
I’m waiting for the sensational 100 year anniversary sinking theories.
What can they be ?
Here Tis a few released teasers.....
Researcher Constance Noring reveals the paint used on the hull reacted with the salt and cold Atlantic water and this caused the hull plates to fracture at precisely 32.2507 degrees Fahrenheit.
Ms. Kerry Oki and Ms. Kandi Apple’s new research shows that if Titanic’s hull was painted white, not black — the Californian would have seen her clearly in the distance when the distress rockets were fired.
Real Estate Agent and Titanic historian Tommy Hawk tells us, “If Titanic had just ‘three’ funnels, she would have been balanced better when flooding; this would have delayed the sinking by 7” minutes. More could have been saved”.
This amazing revelation is also backed up be Titanic archivist and lecturer, Mr. Doug Hole.
Adding to this: Mr. Sonny Day and Ms. Sue Flay claim, “On the bridge at the time, there were too many left-handed people! That’s why the ship turned to the port and not starboard”.
Startling new research actually shows Titanic was really quarter of an inch longer then Olympic. Ms. Jean Poole reveals her amazing information after eight years research. Due to this magnificent work, Jean’s been invited to dive to Titanic to further her research.
Yes, 2012 is going to be quite an exciting time with information and quality researchers like this.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Yes, 2012 is going to be quite an exciting time with information and quality researchers like this.<<

Uhhhh...yeah...let's hope we get some researchers turning up who are actually sound of mind. I suppose it could be worse. Mrs. Ima Kouk could come up with some ideas along with her boyfriend Mr Iyn Sayne that should get some tounges wagging!

Steven Hall

Dec 17, 2008
Michael,
sometimes a good belly laugh is good.
I'm sure there is a few theories for 2012 in the works right now.
The ever ready press hear the word TITANIC and jump on it.

Steve

Feb 14, 2011
I still can't over the tinfoil hat conspiracy that Titanic and Olympic switched identities in some sort of insurance scam...

May 27, 2007
I'll be checking the book out at the library! Ballard's book "Exploring The Titanic" was one of the first I read and actually got to see pictures of the wreck so I'll see what he's got to say about it and the Pictures he's got to show!

May 27, 2007
Wait awhile Marilyn and read something else that really fascinates you! That's what I do for spoilers! Luckily I have just finished Fatal Purity about Robespierre and the French Revolution recommended by Ms. Inger Sheil who gave a bit away but I found I noticed things she didn't go into! Not that she meant to give anything away but some parts of the book were unintentially funny! Like the Committee For Public Security having to move up a floor so the people on the street going by couldn't hear them argue! Mondeau! Anyways I'm sure Tarn didn't mean to spoil the book! I will read it after I untangle myself from Revolutionary France!