Edgar Joseph Meyer

• Thread starter Encyclopedia Titanica
  • Start date
J

Jan C. Nielsen

You're welcome, guys. Apparently, the University of California has some 5,000 or more photographs which they acquired from Elise Stern Haas, before she died in 1990. Many of the photographs are from the 1950s through the 1980s, but she had other photographs handed down from her mother, Rosalie Stern. Rosalie, of course, was the older sister to Edgar Meyer.

I looked through the inventory for any connection to Dr. Dodge. Sure enough, one of the inventories listed a photograph of "Herbert Fleishhacker." He was the president of the Anglo London Paris National Bank, and the Anglo California Trust Company. Dr. Dodge had worked at the bank, and certain officers of the Trust Company, Tilden Tegnazzini and Charles Legee, sued Dr. Dodge in connection with the Federal Telegraph scandal. I can't believe that Tegnazzini and Legge would have sued Dodge without Fleishhacker's express consent and knowledge. Now, apparently, as the inventory list reveals, Fleishhacker and the Stern family were friends.

Here's what I suspect happened: Dr. Dodge used his connections at the Bank to gain investors for the Federal Telegraph Company, including, inter alia, the Stern and Meyer families. Dodge reorganized Federal Telegraph, but something didn't pan out, or maybe, Dodge needed money. He resigned from Anglo London Paris National Bank in 1917, in part, I think, because he was going to orchestrate a deal for himself out of the Federal Telegraph Company's assets. Such a transaction would be adverse to the shareholders, who included friends of Fleishhacker. Thus, Dodge left the bank to make himself more independent of these other people who might be adversely affected by his plans. The following year, he did the deal -- and the fall out started.

After the Federal Telegraph stock's value plummeted, and Dodge got his "insider" commission, this shareholder group, the Sterns, Lazard Freres, Tegnazzini and Legge (with Fleishhacker's backing) went after Dodge.

C

Chris Dohany

Meyer's photo did appear in an April 28, 1912 edition of the NYT.

I agree he does look much the same as when he was younger.

C

Colleen Collier

Jan. I just wanted to let you know that I really look forward to, and appreciate, the pictures and unearthed items. Especially from those in California and the West coast.
Do you happen to know who the rest of the kids are in the picture?
Thanks again.
Colleen

B

Beverly J. Crowder

Kah-leen,
Jan has got the most excellent website of information and photos. Have you been there?
He is a dedicated and incredible researcher.

Beverly

C

Colleen Collier

Beverly. I haven't been able to get a link to his site that worked. Guess I should have asked before now. :)

Colleen

B

Beverly J. Crowder

Oh Jan,

Would you please give us the link to your site of wonderful works please and thank you. Kah-leen, wait until you see some of the stuff he's been working on. Very ambitious man he is.

Beverly
Happy

J

Jan C. Nielsen

Sorry, I took it down for now. Working on it was starting to distract me from my kids, and job. Thanks for the compliments, though.

J

Jan C. Nielsen

I found one more on-line photograph. It's of the Meyer family's residence in San Francisco. Edgar grew up here. As noted in the article, "Iceberg at the Golden Gate," the Meyer family left San Francisco in 1893, when Eugene, Sr., got a job at Lazard Freres investment banking house in New York. Older sisters Rosalie and Elise stayed behind, and married Sigmund and Abraham Stern, the president and chief operating officers of Levi, Strauss & Co.http://sunsite.berkeley.edu/FindingAids/dynaweb/calher/arthomes/figures/I0026388B.jpg

Attachments

• edgar-joseph-meyer3.jpg
    edgar-joseph-meyer3.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 55
R

Robert J. Meyer

I just got an eerie feeling looking at the picture of the kids on the hammock!...My son Robert III, is the twin to Walter Meyer!

J

Jan C. Nielsen

Robert,
Not to embellish on the eerieness of it all, but here's another photo of Walter Meyer.http://sunsite.berkeley.edu/FindingAids/dynaweb/calher/bluelakes/figures/I0032639A.jpg
I would like get some feedback from you on the "Iceberg at the Golden Gate" article (see main page), which has a lot about the Meyer family in it. Do you have any knowledge about the Stern family, located in San Francisco? Thanks.

Attachments

• edgar-joseph-meyer4.jpg
    edgar-joseph-meyer4.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 67
R

Robert J. Meyer

Jan,

You were right! That picture was even better! I will post a picture of my son tomorrow...you will be amazed at the similarities!

I read your article...it was EXCELLENT!...bravo!
I have known for a few years now about Edgar Meyer, and have researched my family back to 1845...there is NO trace of joint history. My family have been in the Newark, NJ area from 1845 on. And no, I cannot help you with the Stern family at all. Its interesting though that a few of my family generations have worked in the Macy's building in Newark, NJ...actually going back a few decades...it was Bambergers...before being bought by Macy's.

I find all the threads here to be absolutely fascinating!...I am learning more every day!

God Bless and keep up the great job!

J

Jan C. Nielsen

Here's a photograph of the Campanile at the University of California's Berkeley campus.

I visited the famous Bancroft Library on the campus, which is very near the Campanile. Bancroft is a top-notch research facility, with an incredible collection of materials. Here's a photograph of the entrance.

Interestingly, the research I did today buttressed the thesis of my article "Iceberg At The Golden Gate." It appears that Edgar Meyer, and his sister's family, the Sterns, in San Francisco, including in particular Edgar's niece, Elise Stern, were very close. There were photographs of Edgar taking Elise skating in Central Park. Elise had written in pencil on the back: "I really loved it when Uncle Edgar took me skating." There were other pictures of Edgar holding Elise. Elise is referred as "Bab" on the back of the photograph. Other photographs depict Edgar visiting Elise and another relative in Burlingame (near San Francisco). He is shown hugging the children, and under his picture is written "Uncle Edgar." Elise had taken pictures of the May 6, 1908 arrival of the Great White Fleet in San Francisco. She and her family went aboard the U.S.S. Nebraska for a tour. On May 7, 1908, there was a big parade. San Francisco was all decked out in patriotic style, with flags draped on the Ferry building. There are many excellent photographs of Edgar in the collection. There was a nice large portrait of Edgar with "Lost On the Titanic" written on the back. Another album had a small picture of Edgar's daughter.

However, the photos are quite expensive to order. It was very strange to review the old family albums --- like delving into the personal lives of people, and finding out that when you see their innermost, personal sides, they are much like you and your own family. Edgar's name was Edgar Joseph Meyer. He was named after grandfather, Joseph Newmark. Elise was the only child of Edgar's sister, Rosalie. His other sister, Elise Hortensa Stern, had married Abraham Stern, Sigmund's brother. Abraham apparently died. Then, Elise married some Brazialian ambassador, named De Souza Dautre. There was a note to Elise from U.S. Supreme Court Justice, Felix Frankfurter. When I was ordering copies of pictures I told the librarian, "You know, these are extremely valuable pictures." She just ignored it and said: "Well, you know, they say that once they're in a museum they aren't worth anything."

(Message edited by jcnielsen on April 6, 2002)

(Message edited by jcnielsen on April 6, 2002)

J

Jan C. Nielsen

Has anyone heard of an "E. Pillsbury"? I know that the Marvins were related to the Pillsbury family in Minnesota -- but this one is in San Francisco.

J

Jan C. Nielsen

Do any of our N.Y. members know if 135 Central Park West still exists? Can someone send me a photo, please?