Edith Corse Evans

Nov 14, 2005
443 adult women were on broad, out of 715 survivors, how many were women? I agree, not many women died compared to the men.

1- 1700 men, 443 women

2- women had first proity.

3- men were expected to die.

So I understand what op means
74% of women, 52% of children and 20% of men survived. Sounds like blatant age and sexual discrimination to me...:rolleyes:

Reactions: 1 user

Aly Jones

Dec 15, 2019
Australia
Sounds like roughly 400 women survived, and only 43 died to me. And Around 1700 men were on board, sounds like 1450 men had perished. A rough guessed estimate.

The women deceased compared to deceased men is like looking for a needle in a haystack. Like the op mention, JC had too many deceased women in the movie.

It was back then: a tough life for men in some ways. Like stated above, and going to wars and dying

Nov 14, 2005
Yes. Approx. The numbers that Ioannis posted are what I go by. You can start from there and do the math. But like most things Titanic you probably get an argument over the numbers. Its been debated a lot. You can look at the link below if your interested. It has numbers and statistics but even some of them are presented in a misleading way. But not a bad overview.

Aly Jones

Dec 15, 2019
Australia
Yes. Approx. The numbers that Ioannis posted are what I go by. You can start from there and do the math. But like most things Titanic you probably get an argument over the numbers. Its been debated a lot. You can look at the link below if your interested. It has numbers and statistics but even some of them are presented in a misleading way. But not a bad overview.
ok I took a look. Thank you.

So roughly 300 (give or take ) men were saved from 1800 men. Not good. That means 400 (give or take) in those lifeboats were women and there were only 443 adult women on board. Should only be roughly only 40 womens bodies in the water.

Arun Vajpey

Apr 21, 2009
Don't let it worry you. My wife has been rubbing it in for the last 42 years (in 2 days it will be 42 years; must remember to get her a gift)

Apr 24, 2020
Sounds like roughly 400 women survived, and only 43 died to me. And Around 1700 men were on board, sounds like 1450 men had perished. A rough guessed estimate.

The women deceased compared to deceased men is like looking for a needle in a haystack. Like the op mention, JC had too many deceased women in the movie.

It was back then: a tough life for men in some ways. Like stated above, and going to wars and dying
Actually it's been statistically proven that in most ship wrecks Men have a higher change of surviving than Women. In many sinking ships such as SS Arctic in 1854 or the SS Atlantic in 1871 all women on board died and only men survived. Even in the sinking of the Lusitania in 1915 many men survived while many women died. It seems that when a ship sinks it's every man for himself.

Titanic seems to be the only famous exception were The women and children first rule was enforced and as a result most women survived and most men died, but in most other ship sinkings it's the men who are usually the lucky ones to survive.

The whole Women and Children first thing on sinking ships seems to be just a Maritme myth along with the saying that ''The Captain Always Goes Down with his Ship'' The captain of the Costa Corcodia in 2012 didn't seem to follow that rule.

You would not want to be a lady on a sinking ship.

Cam Houseman

Jul 14, 2020
Maryland, USA
A pox on all you people on Encyclopedia Titanica and Nitpickers !!!!!!!!!....I keep going back to my DVD to find all the stuff of which you come up with.

Seriously....thanks to all :)

Here's what I think (using closed gates, and the weird E-Deck, since it's in-universe)
She woke up, as a Second or Third Class Passenger. lets say, F-Deck near the Stern. She heard a commotion, and headed out on Deck. But, she took a wrong Way, ended up going in a circle on E-Deck, then found her way to the stairs to the Third Class Open Space. However, the gates were closed. She wailed at the gate, wishing someone would come to her rescue. Eventually, water made its way up from F-Deck, and she waded away aft, losing her slippers. She managed to find her way to the elevator landing, and found the Grand Staircase. She climbed up, and made it to the boat deck. But, she got lost in the crowd and could not make it to Collapsible C. When the crowd went aft, and saw that the boats were all gone. She was in despair.

She went back to her F-Deck cabin, amidships, and put on her best dress she owns. She came back, its around 2:13. She goes to the Grand Staircase, sits with Benjamin Guggenheim, who doesn't notice her because he's talking to JJ Astor. She sits on one of the benches. Minutes later, water comes rushing up A-Deck stairs. She screams, and with everyone else, runs. But, she ran into the Reading and Writing Room, noticed it was a dead End, and ran towards the First Class Lounge.

The Floor is tilting. A couch pins her between the wall, knocking the wind out of her. She dies there when the water rushes into the room. The couch floats free, and so does her body.