Edith Evans

A

Adrienne Swartz

Timothy-
WOW! Thank you so much for that link! I'm getting a lot closer! My family migrated here from Wales around the late 1600s, early 1700s. In fact John Alden of The Mayflower fame is one of my ancestors. I can't rightly remember if he came here from England or Wales, but he was the Quaker who got kicked out of the colony
happy.gif
Anyways, they all came here around the same time that Robert Cadwalader did. Anyway, thanks again!
Adrienne

May 8, 2001
Adrienne. Hello fellow Mayflower descendant! Looked up your ancestor. Luckily he stayed clear of mine, but that is another story. Here is what I found... Just a little FYI.
JOHN ALDEN.—Born about 1599. Died in Duxbury, Mass., 22d. September, 1687. (Wow, look at his age!)
John Alden was the seventh and last surviving signer of the Mayflower Compact. (Edward Doty was #40)

He served in Captain Myles Standish's Duxbury Company in 1643, was governor's assistant from 1632 to 1640, 1650, and 1686; was deputy to the General Court in 1641, 1642, 1644 and 1649; a member of the Council of War in 1646 et seq.; and acting deputy governor, 1644 and 1677.

Interesting note: His house, built in 1653, is still standing and is preserved and owned by the Alden Kindred of America.

Marriage to: Priscilla R*L MULLINS b: 1601 in Dorking, Surrey, England
Married: <1624> in Dorking, Surrey, England.

===============================================
I will watch for him in my journey for Edward Doty. You mentioned he was kicked out of the colony... You should see my ancestor. He got in a sword fight almost the moment he got here with a man named Cooke and the colonists or court law decided to tie them up in the street, suffering with their wounds... Just one of many of the funny stories I have found about this character..... And one of my favorite people I have come across!
Luck to you in your research. When Phil's book comes out, you will get to see just how pretty she was!

A

Adrienne Swartz

Colleen,
Thank you for your info! I guess the Quakers weren't such pacifists after all
happy.gif
That does tell me where Standish comes into it. I've always been told we were related to him as well, but it's possible that the story got misinterpreted. The Alden side stories are actually pretty funny. We traced him through Flora Ross and Sarah Alden, who ended up having a grandson named Darias Alden who traveled with the Cole and Ringling circus. He was only 31 inches tall! They called him Tom Thumb! I can't wait until Phil's book comes out, I've read a lot about it just in this message board and it sounds like it's going to be great. I've always wondered what Edith looks like, as all the Evan's we've traced have the same features...high cheekbones and deep set eyes...that's where you really see it, is the eyes. Anyways, thanks again, good luck in your search for Edward Doty.
Adrienne

Phillip Gowan

Apr 10, 2001
Hi Adrienne,
Just back today from being a Slob in Slovenia--so I apologize for not responding sooner. Edith was a very nice looking woman and you are right that the eyes seem to be the outstanding feature. Both Edith and her sister Lena had piercing blue eyes and although they called themselves blondes, the hair of both appears to be more of a brunette color. Since neither attracted a husband in early life, I surmised they weren't good looking women but I was wrong. I do think that Lena is the better looking of the two but both were striking women that had a "presence" about them. In the photos I have they are well-dressed, wearing very stylish hats and have a regal bearing about them. You can easily tell they are sisters though they don't look exactly alike.

A very good obituary of their father appeared at the time of his death in the New York Times. You might want to get a copy if you don't already have it.

The book will be out someday! We're working hard on it--the trip to Hungary and the Balkans was an effort to get some good info. on some of the lesser known passengers. Gradually we're getting there!

Regards,
Phil

A

Adrienne Swartz

Phil,
All of the Evans' pictures I've seen seem to have a regal feel too. They give off this essence of royalty even if they aren't. I love to look at them. I will have to look up the obituary on Cadwalader. I've been using our college library's microfilm to look at the NYT. This all started because I am a history major and for my capstone paper, I chose to write about the Titanic and all of the symbolism that goes with her. I have always been facinated by the great steamer so this was the perfect opportunity for me. I hope you found a lot of good research on your trip. Did you get to see Hugh Woolner's house? I bet that was an experience!
Adrienne

May 8, 2001
Adrienne. Always glad to be of help, and thanks for the heads up about "General Tom Thumb". I would have never in my life connected that name. Interesting what happens when you shake the family tree! Lots of interesting characters, indeed!

A

Adrienne Swartz

Colleen,
Today I am headed to see the person who has done all the research on my family. She is the one who told me about Tom Thumb. She is going to teach me how to properly read a family tree
happy.gif
I am hopeless! But in any case, if she tells me anymore interesting stories about the Aldens, I'll let you know. I'm sure I will hear all of the misadventures of my ancestors...I just hope some of them are forgotten by now!
Adrienne

A

Adrienne Swartz

Collen,
Today was definitely an interesting day. On Miss Edith, I found that she is linked to my tree, but by her ancestors in Wales, so it is way way way back there, but still there all the same. We didn't find the exact link, but our geneologist, who is also a relation to the Evans' found a link on her mother's side through Ezekiel Roberts, son of Cadwallader Roberts. In other words, more work to come. On John Alden, I found out that he really wasn't Quaker, he was actually a sort of stowaway on the Mayflower, and he was a relation to the captain. That is how he got on. And not only is one of his decendents a dwarf..Darius aka Tom Thumb, but Darius' sister Melissa, was too and she was institutionalized along with their mother. I actually got to read her admittance records! Darius and Melissa also had 3 other siblings, but they were all normal size. It was a pretty fruitful day!

D

Dennis Foley

Does anyone know where Edith Evans was born? Was she American, Canadian, Brit?? Thanks. Dennis

Phillip Gowan

Apr 10, 2001
Hi Dennis,
Edith was born in New York City on September 21, 1875--therefore was American by birth. Some of her closer relatives, however, settled in France and their descendants are now French citizens.

Regards,
Phil

S

Sally Rothschild

Dear Phillip and Dennis,

I have evidence to suggest that Edith Evans did not actually exist!! Her name in fact was plucked from a newspaper article of the time connected with the Titanic. Popular belief was that she was the illegitimate daughter of a certain stevadore whose name has flown the nest of my memory!!!

A startling yet fruitful discovery methinks!

All the best

Sally

Phillip Gowan

Apr 10, 2001
Sally,
A strange claim--have never seen the newspaper article. But she did exist and was a member of a very well respected family and upon her death left only her spinster sister and cousins as survivors. As I mentioned above, descendants of her cousins are still living in France today. Her earlier life is fairly well documented and other Titanic survivors gave affidavits concerning her fate.

Regards,
Phillip

E

Edmund Turner

Hey, just after any information on my favourite passenger, Edith Evans. Was her mother still alive when she died? i know her father had died years earlier. also what became of her sister? And later, did Gracie ever voice any regrets about her fate? he was ment to be her protector,perhaps he felt guilty, im sure he did his best though.
Its frustrating there is no known photographs of her. Sad story
sad.gif
any info appreciated
happy.gif

Jan 22, 2001
Edmund,

Angeline Burr Corse Evans, mother of Edith and Lena Evans, died on June 11, 1909. At the time, they lived at 10 West 12th Street in New York. (This building is still standing). According to her obituary, she is buried in Westport, Connecticut.

Edith's father, Cadwallader Evans, a stock broker, died on January 20, 1880 at the age of 33. Their home was then at 100 West 11th Street.

In 1939, Lena Cadwallader Evans attended a reunion of survivors of the Blizzard of 1888. She was awarded a silver cup for an essay she wrote about the experiences she and Edith had during the storm. Lena described how she and her sister walked to school in "an enchanted city of trackless snow". She said "I accept this cup. I wish there was something in it with which to drink your health, but I toast you in spirit!" Lena was then 65 years old and lived at 50 West 45th Street. You can find the entire article in the New York Times of March 12, 1939.

Edith Evans is also one of my favorite pasengers. Hope this helps.

Carole

Kris Muhvic

Sep 26, 2008
Here is a quote, attributed to no one in particular, from the Logan Marshall " The Sinkiking of the Titanic..."

"Five women saved their pet dogs, carrying them in their arms. Another woman saved a little pig, which she said was her mascot. Though her husband is an Englishman and she lives in England she is an American and was on her way to visit her folks here. How she cared for the pig aboard ship I do not know, but she carried it up the side of the ship in a big bag. I did not mind the dogs so much, but it seemed to me to be too much when a pig was saved and human beings went to death."

I take this as some convuluted twist on Edith's pig... just thought it was funny!

Kris

May 12, 2005
Kris,

Will you stop with the gin and tonic!?! You've gotten your Ediths all mixed up! It's Edith Russell who saved the piggie.

But yes, this is one of several funny stories about that blasted pig. Edy having a husband is also funny!
happy.gif
And was this "Englishman" an early veiled reference to her purported fling with Ismay? Hmmm...

Randy

Kris Muhvic

Sep 26, 2008
Oh dear! How embarrasing! I wish it was a gin and tonic delusion...unfortunatly it's the Tylenol 3's for my bum leg that got me in trouble!

Sorry folks! Back to the heating pad for me!
K~

G

Glenda Bowling

Edith Evans has always been my favorite passenger. I would like to know more about her and her sister. Does anyone know what finally became of Lena Cadwaller Evans?