Edith Evans

May 8, 2001
....I was hoping Phil wouldn't have internet access to rub it in...... Now I am really depressed......
smile.gif

Come back with the dragoman, Phil!
Enquiring minds want to know!!

George Behe

Dec 11, 1999
Hi, Phil!

I hope you're having a terrific time, old chap! (I envy your being able to travel the world tracking down those last few passengers and crewmen who have thus far eluded your net; my appetite for your upcoming book has just been whetted to a keener edge.) :)

Please give Kalman my very best regards -- you couldn't have chosen a better friend and researcher to accompany you during your travels.

In closing, though, I have one word of advice to offer you while you're wandering in that neck of the woods:

"Keep off the moors after sundown. . . ." :)

All my best,

George

Kalman Tanito

Jul 9, 2002
Hi all,

Just wanted to let you know that you will have to wait only some 24 hours to have Phil give you an account of the best of our journey - me perhaps chiming in once in a while to fill in some of the details. I still have so many memories that I have to sort them out before posting more in detail... but rest assured, we experienced some very interesting things indeed...

George, I talked about you with Phil quite a lot, and so wished that especially you could have been with us. You know, old chap, even if I am a lousy letter-writer, I miss you quite a lot, and look forward to sending some interesting tidbits - just give me some more time!

Kalman

T

Timothy Brandsoy

I was trying to do a little research before on Miss Evans. You may want to expand your search to EDITH WHARTON EVANS also.

> 42. CADWALADER6 EVANS (MANLIUS GLENDOWER5, CADWALADER4, MARGARET3
> FOULKE, ELLIN2 ROBERTS, EDWARD1) was born 1847 in Philadelphia, PA,
> and died 1880 in New York. He married ANGELINA CORSE, daughter of
> ISRAEL CORSE. Children of CADWALADER EVANS and ANGELINA CORSE are:i.
> LENA7 EVANS.ii. EDITH WHARTON EVANS.

Gwynedd is a Friends (Quaker) Meeting (Church).
Her great-grandfather left Gwynedd in 1812.
He was the Speaker of the PA House of Representatives.
He became as wealthy man (President of the the
Philadelphia branch of the Bank of the United States).
Gwynedd was a moderately prosperous rural community.
There are many distant relatives left here.
The fellow who wrote the history of Gwynedd township
in 1897 knew of her. He is the source of the middle
name Wharton and was a distant cousin of hers.
Her mother's line (Corse) has some prominent New Yorkers in it.
For instance, colonial Governor Lewis Morris (who was also
the grandfather of Gouverneur Morris of U.S. Constitution fame.)
The mother's line is not Quaker.

I hope this helps a little.

G

Glenda Bowling

Now Colleen, You know that Phillip would never "rub it in" ;-)

Geez Phillip I wish you would come home....I miss you.....

Nov 22, 2000
"Won't you come home Phil Gowan
won't you come home
she moans the whole night long"

I feel a song coming on!

Hey Phil, pity you didn't take Behe with you - you would have been immortalized as the guy who put the pest in Budapest!

Geoff

A

Adrienne Swartz

Timothy,
Thanks for the info you posted, it really helped. My next question is if her great grandfather was quaker, which generation immigrated here? Does anyone know of her European heritage? Because while she was born in New York, her family had to have originated somewhere in Europe and more than likely the English portion if they were Quaker, and the Evans name is Welsh so it had to be somewhere in there. I just need to find the generation.

May 8, 2001
>>>>>pity you didn't take Behe with you - you would have been immortalized as the guy who put the pest in Budapest!<<<<

Behe would have definitely been the man to know how to eliminate the pest in Budapest!
shy.gif

....By the way Behe,what kind of a pest is a Buda?(Says she, feeling like she is leaving the door wide open for a reply about Whitfield!):)

George Behe

Dec 11, 1999
Hi, Colleen!

>By the way Behe,what kind of a pest is a Buda?

It's the little statue that you see in Chinese gift shops. (You know, the one depicting a smiling Geoff Whitfield with a protruding belly that you rub for good luck....) :)

Thanks, Colleen -- I owe you one. :)

All my best,

George

A

Adrienne Swartz

Timothy-
WOW! Thank you so much for that link! I'm getting a lot closer! My family migrated here from Wales around the late 1600s, early 1700s. In fact John Alden of The Mayflower fame is one of my ancestors. I can't rightly remember if he came here from England or Wales, but he was the Quaker who got kicked out of the colony
happy.gif
Anyways, they all came here around the same time that Robert Cadwalader did. Anyway, thanks again!
Adrienne

May 8, 2001
Adrienne. Hello fellow Mayflower descendant! Looked up your ancestor. Luckily he stayed clear of mine, but that is another story. Here is what I found... Just a little FYI.
JOHN ALDEN.—Born about 1599. Died in Duxbury, Mass., 22d. September, 1687. (Wow, look at his age!)
John Alden was the seventh and last surviving signer of the Mayflower Compact. (Edward Doty was #40)

He served in Captain Myles Standish's Duxbury Company in 1643, was governor's assistant from 1632 to 1640, 1650, and 1686; was deputy to the General Court in 1641, 1642, 1644 and 1649; a member of the Council of War in 1646 et seq.; and acting deputy governor, 1644 and 1677.

Interesting note: His house, built in 1653, is still standing and is preserved and owned by the Alden Kindred of America.

Marriage to: Priscilla R*L MULLINS b: 1601 in Dorking, Surrey, England
Married: <1624> in Dorking, Surrey, England.

===============================================
I will watch for him in my journey for Edward Doty. You mentioned he was kicked out of the colony... You should see my ancestor. He got in a sword fight almost the moment he got here with a man named Cooke and the colonists or court law decided to tie them up in the street, suffering with their wounds... Just one of many of the funny stories I have found about this character..... And one of my favorite people I have come across!
Luck to you in your research. When Phil's book comes out, you will get to see just how pretty she was!

A

Adrienne Swartz

Colleen,
Thank you for your info! I guess the Quakers weren't such pacifists after all
happy.gif
That does tell me where Standish comes into it. I've always been told we were related to him as well, but it's possible that the story got misinterpreted. The Alden side stories are actually pretty funny. We traced him through Flora Ross and Sarah Alden, who ended up having a grandson named Darias Alden who traveled with the Cole and Ringling circus. He was only 31 inches tall! They called him Tom Thumb! I can't wait until Phil's book comes out, I've read a lot about it just in this message board and it sounds like it's going to be great. I've always wondered what Edith looks like, as all the Evan's we've traced have the same features...high cheekbones and deep set eyes...that's where you really see it, is the eyes. Anyways, thanks again, good luck in your search for Edward Doty.
Adrienne

Phillip Gowan

Apr 10, 2001
Hi Adrienne,
Just back today from being a Slob in Slovenia--so I apologize for not responding sooner. Edith was a very nice looking woman and you are right that the eyes seem to be the outstanding feature. Both Edith and her sister Lena had piercing blue eyes and although they called themselves blondes, the hair of both appears to be more of a brunette color. Since neither attracted a husband in early life, I surmised they weren't good looking women but I was wrong. I do think that Lena is the better looking of the two but both were striking women that had a "presence" about them. In the photos I have they are well-dressed, wearing very stylish hats and have a regal bearing about them. You can easily tell they are sisters though they don't look exactly alike.

A very good obituary of their father appeared at the time of his death in the New York Times. You might want to get a copy if you don't already have it.

The book will be out someday! We're working hard on it--the trip to Hungary and the Balkans was an effort to get some good info. on some of the lesser known passengers. Gradually we're getting there!

Regards,
Phil

A

Adrienne Swartz

Phil,
All of the Evans' pictures I've seen seem to have a regal feel too. They give off this essence of royalty even if they aren't. I love to look at them. I will have to look up the obituary on Cadwalader. I've been using our college library's microfilm to look at the NYT. This all started because I am a history major and for my capstone paper, I chose to write about the Titanic and all of the symbolism that goes with her. I have always been facinated by the great steamer so this was the perfect opportunity for me. I hope you found a lot of good research on your trip. Did you get to see Hugh Woolner's house? I bet that was an experience!
Adrienne

May 8, 2001
Adrienne. Always glad to be of help, and thanks for the heads up about "General Tom Thumb". I would have never in my life connected that name. Interesting what happens when you shake the family tree! Lots of interesting characters, indeed!

A

Adrienne Swartz

Colleen,
Today I am headed to see the person who has done all the research on my family. She is the one who told me about Tom Thumb. She is going to teach me how to properly read a family tree
happy.gif
I am hopeless! But in any case, if she tells me anymore interesting stories about the Aldens, I'll let you know. I'm sure I will hear all of the misadventures of my ancestors...I just hope some of them are forgotten by now!
Adrienne