Edith Evans

A

Adrienne Swartz

Collen,
Today was definitely an interesting day. On Miss Edith, I found that she is linked to my tree, but by her ancestors in Wales, so it is way way way back there, but still there all the same. We didn't find the exact link, but our geneologist, who is also a relation to the Evans' found a link on her mother's side through Ezekiel Roberts, son of Cadwallader Roberts. In other words, more work to come. On John Alden, I found out that he really wasn't Quaker, he was actually a sort of stowaway on the Mayflower, and he was a relation to the captain. That is how he got on. And not only is one of his decendents a dwarf..Darius aka Tom Thumb, but Darius' sister Melissa, was too and she was institutionalized along with their mother. I actually got to read her admittance records! Darius and Melissa also had 3 other siblings, but they were all normal size. It was a pretty fruitful day!

E

Edith Teekivi

I have heard that there is no picture of Edith Corse Evans and we still don't know why she didn't went in the lifeboat while she had a chance...is that so?

p.s I am desperately looking for her photo

thank you

Phillip Gowan

Apr 10, 2001
Edith,
There is one photo of Edith Evans but it hasn't been made public yet--it will be in a book that Brian Meister and I are collaborating on. However, if you happen to be attending one of the Titanic exhibitions or gatherings sometime and I'm there, I'd be glad to show it to you. I took it to the British Titanic Convention last year and am taking it to the Titanic Exhibition in Bradford, England this week as well (though not for public display). I spent years looking for one in the New York/Rhode Island/Washington, DC areas without luck and it turned up in the most unlikely of places. Sort of like trying to find a previously unknown photo of Edgar Allen Poe in Boston and finally finding it in Kimball, Nebraska.

There are 2 photos of Edith's sister Lena in the "Gallery of Titanic Visages" under ET Research. There is a definite resemblance between the two but I have to admit that Lena was the prettier one. I had always imagined that the reason they remained unmarried far beyond the "marrying age" was that they were plain (or plain ugly!) but that turns out not to be the case. I think Lena was very good looking as a young woman and Edith could probably be classified as "pretty." That's just my opinion--if any of the people I've shown it to disagree I guess we'd just agree that beauty is in the eye of the beholder! Although no one living actually remembers Edith, there are those that remember Lena and she is said to have had some very peculiar personality traits and if Edith had some of the same traits, that may be a partial reason they remained single. For instance, Lena always complained of being cold--even in summer--and sometimes when visiting friends in France and Switzerland would insist on sitting in small hallways throughout the day where she found it warmer.

I hope this was at least of a little interest.

Regards,
Phillip

Mar 28, 2002
Well, Phil, it was a great delight to meet you in Bradford yesterday. Thanks for showing us the Edith Evans picture - very pretty indeed. A real treasure and we feel very privileged to be amongst the very few. Along with the rest of the people at your presentation, we were spellbound. All very interesting stuff.

Sorry we couldn't hang around for longer. We left just after 3, had to be be back in Dudley by 6. Look forward to seeing you in Southampton in April.

Cheers and thanks for a great time at Cartwright Hall.

Boz

Phillip Gowan

Apr 10, 2001
Boz-it was great to see you again and I was really glad to meet Patrick Mylon as well. I really appreciate you kind words about the passenger presentation--so far it has been received very well with one lady even complimenting me on my Irish brogue! And glad you like the photo of Edith. I've been telling the groups that attend the presentation that 99% of the people in the world that know what she looked like live in Bradford, England. Next stop for the exhibition will be Newcastle and then on to Stoke-on-Trent. It is a really good exhibition and I hope other Brits will make it to one of the venues to see everything.

Phil

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
quote:

I've been telling the groups that attend the presentation that 99% of the people in the world that know what she looked like live in Bradford, England.
Lol! And something like .05% of the remainder were honoured with a glimpse at the BTS convention, eh? It's not often that a photo lives up to the mystique of certain historical personages, but your shot of Evans doesn't disapoint.​

E

Edith Teekivi

So I guess I would never get a chance to see her photo :-(

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
Edith, if you read Phil G's response of the 9th Feb, you'll see that he clearly states the following:
quote:

There is one photo of Edith Evans but it hasn't been made public yet--it will be in a book that Brian Meister and I are collaborating on. However, if you happen to be attending one of the Titanic exhibitions or gatherings sometime and I'm there, I'd be glad to show it to you.
As Phil and Brian intend to use the photo in their upcoming publication, I'd say you will get a chance to see it (even if you can't get to one of the exhibitions or gatherings to which Phil refers).​

E

Edith Teekivi

But I live like a really small place and I doubt that I am able to buy the book here....of course then I can even have a chance to see it, when they also publish it in the web.
Anyway,thank you all for replying to my question!

Sep 19, 2006
Hello Phil - I have been researching Edith Evans for the past year and have been unable to find a picture. the one you posted with the quarter over the face is that her? and if so how was this photo obtained?
Many thanks,
Jack