Edith Evans

J

Joseph Kendrick

HI
Is there a picture of Miss Evans? If so can anyone please post it.

May 12, 2005
There’s a very good reason for hard-working researchers to keep their material to themselves when others less ethical and studious are ready and waiting to use the information without credit and even to pass it off as their own work.

A lot of time and money goes into locating documents, not to mention finding living sources, which is the case with Edith Evans.

Sep 19, 2006
Hello Phil - I have been researching Edith Evans for the past year and have been unable to find a picture. the one you posted with the quarter over the face is that her? and if so how was this photo obtained?
Many thanks,
Jack

G

Glenda Bowling

Jack,
Phil Gowan is the owner of the photo of Edith Evans in question and plans to publish it and others in a biographical book in the not too distant future.
He went to extraordinary lengths to find it several years ago and it was thought to be the only one that existed. More recently, though, he found the motherlode of Evans family photos and now owns the originals and also has a painting of her done for her mother on her 15th birthday. As Grant has pointed out,that would have been 116 years ago. I've seen scans of the painting and a photo of her at 15 that is very similar to the painting. And I've seen the original of her at the approximate age of 34. It is stunning. She was a classy woman. You'll be able to see the painting next year for sure as it is going to be published in one of the Titanic quarterlies but I can't remember which one.

I hope this answers some of your questions.

Glenda B

T

Timothy Trower

On Saturday, my wife and I were able to view not one but two actual photographs of Edith Evans as well as a copy of a colored drawing of her. The story of their discovery is fascinating, and will be worth the wait once you are able to see them.

I guess this is just one more advantage of having Titanic Branson in my own back yard!

L

Lynda Franklin

What a nice picy of Edith any chance we have of seeing the whole face ? In a book or even a magazine ?

T

Timothy Trower

I doubt that Phil will even see these most recent postings ... but I've seen two of the pictures of Edith Evans as well as the painting done of her at age 15, and when they are published you will not be disappointed.

Kerry Clare

Apr 5, 2007
There is one photo of Edith Evans but it hasn't been made public yet--it will be in a book that Brian Meister and I are collaborating on
Has this book been published yet, and if so what are the details please?

Trevor Powell

Aug 22, 2005
The Titanic International Society's current issue of Voyage (Volume 68, Summer 2009)carries an excellent article on Edith Evans by Mike Poirier accompanied by a color image of the pastel painting done of Edith Evans when she was 15 years old. It is a beauty and was worth the wait.

Mike Poirier

Dec 31, 2004
Thank you Trevor. It was nice that as we close in on the 100th anniversary, this kind relative sent us the picture for publication so people can witness, in print, what she looked like.