Edith Russell had two cabins!

Mar 10, 1998
Hi Michael,
In answer to your question about the eeeeevil Pauline Gibson, I have good photos of her up until about the time of her death. Even as a younger woman she was "mousy" looking--Dorothy doesn't resemble her. Not really ugly, but somehow smug in appearance when she was in her 50's, 60's and 70's and when she got into her 80's she got fat and resembled an angry toad. Never smiles, but I guess that is a part of being eeeeeevil. She left only a nephew when she died and the family has died out now. She was estranged from them anyway (they appear to have been decent people).

I'll send one of her pictures to Phil H. so you can see what I'm talking about.

Regards,
Phillip

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Does anyone know how to contact the scattered cousins of Edith L. Russell?<<

Some might but this sort of information is not offered lightly if at all. You would be surprised at just how many families want nothing to do with the Titanic or anybody interested in same.

Jun 5, 2008
Michael--Copyright for a letter to Walter Lord (April 28, 1956) is still held by family members or her estate, and I'm interested in getting permission to reprint it. Any leads would be most helpful. Regards, Virginia

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Any leads would be most helpful. Regards, Virginia<<

Understood but the thing is, I don't get to make that call and the people who have that information may not be at liberty to discuss it. Hopefully, this thread will be seen by somebody who may be able to help you out with this.

andrew wilson

Oct 15, 2008
THE FOLLOWING IS TAKEN FROM CHARLES PELLEGRINO'S WEBSITE....DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY EVIDENCE TO CONFIRM OR DISPUTE THIS??

Following a stint as mistress to Titanic owner J.Bruce Ismay (a fact confided by her to Walter Lord in later years, and the basis for Walter’s admonition that, in Her Name, Titanic, I had probably placed too much faith in Ms. Russell’s defense of Ismay), she evidently came to regard marriage as belonging to the same crazy camp as airplanes. Thus, at age ninety-eight, she wrote that she had experienced every disaster except a plane crash, bubonic plague, and a husband.

Feb 24, 2011
Does anyone have any information about Robert A Wareham, the steward that is referred to in the post above penned by Randy B. Bigham and posted on Sunday, August 27, 2000 - 10:12 pm:..He talks about a woman who boarded the Titanic with the name Edith Rosenbaum who was a fashion writer, buyer, and stylist and later changed her name to
Edith Russell. In the post he talks about a conversation that she had with Wareham after the ship had hit the iceburg I have copied it in quotes here...
"Later on, after the iceberg had been struck and she was waiting in the lounge, trying to decide to get on a lifeboat or not, she says she saw her steward Wareham and asked:

"...Wareham, what about my dresses and things? Do you think they will transfer my luggage?"

His reply: "If I were you, I think I would kiss them good-bye."

It was then that she begged him to go and fetch her lucky "mascot," that now famous toy pig.

Does anyone know anything about Mr Wareham? I am working on my family tree and was hoping to find out anymore info..

Also, who is this Edith woman and what's with the pig?

Thanks Linda Wareham Benedict