Edward John Smith

Missy

Feb 24, 1999
At which pottery did Edward Smith, (father of Edward John Smith, captain of the "Titanic") work before he became a shop-keeper?

Sep 18, 2010
i also forget to add that, he was born in my area. i live in stoke-on-trent and i am proud to say that he is from stoke-on-trent. he will never be forgotton and was such an honourable person. he is a true hero and should not be forgotten by anybody, may he rest in peace where ever he be, i hope he is resting knowing that nobody will forget him especially nobody from stoke-on-trent. R.I.P captain Edward John Smith, born sunday 27th january 1850, died 14th april 1912 aged 62 years. you will never be forgotten and remember as a true hero! <3

Tori (615)

Mar 11, 2011
It wasn't the captain that was in charge of receiving the messages from other ships. Whoever was in charge of getting the messages, ignored six warnings saying that they should beware of the ice. The captain didn't know of the ice because the person who got the messages was not doing his job. Captain Smith isn't the one to blame.

Chrisolama

Jul 9, 2011
Your right. I'm 11 years old and I'm mature enough to know that. I know a lot about the titanic. e.g. Did you know that there was a fire on board the ship lasting 3 days in the 5th Water tight compartment?

Helen (1461)

Oct 23, 2012
I would like to know about Edwards siblings (if any) and their names. I have just met someone who has been told that his Grandmother was Edwards sister or uncle?? can anyone enlighten me

spaceunicorn

Oct 26, 2012
wow...... i didnt know he was in so many newspapers.......well.....i guess thats right since he was the Titanics captain but.........wow......just wow

GabbyGibby

Jan 27, 2013
Edward John Smith was born on 27 January 1850 on Well Street, Hanley, Staffordshire, England[3] to Edward Smith, a potter, and Catherine Hancock, born Marsh, who married on 2 August 1841 in Shelton, Staffordshire. His parents later owned a shop.Smith attended the Etruria British School until the age of 13, when he left and operated a steam hammer at the Etruria Forge. In 1867, aged 17 he went to Liverpool in the footsteps of his half-brother Joseph Hancock, a captain on a sailing ship.[4] He began his apprenticeship on Senator Weber, owned by A Gibson & Co. of Liverpool.