Edward Minahan

• Thread starter Scott Richard Maedke
  • Start date

Jeanne Biebel

Oct 31, 2006
Thanks, Jason, for your welcome and congrats, and thank you, Brian for pointing out my error on the date of the autograph. For clarification, the autograph of William Edward Minahan that I have was from June 4, 1889.

I spent some more time today at the library and also at the Neville Public Museum in Green Bay. I was able to authenticate the signature as that of William Edward Minahan, as the museum has a copy of his signature in their records.

I am considering donating the autograph book to the Neville Public Museum, but I would like to know if William Edward Minahan's signature is of any monetary value. I have no idea where to obtain this type of information. Besides ebay, does anyone have any suggestions? Regardless of the value, donating the autograph book to the local museum seems the appropriate thing to do, so everyone can see it.

In 1998 the Bay Area Genealogical Society of Green Bay compiled a spiral bound book titled "MINAHAN, Early Green Bay Family." This book is in the History Department of the library downtown. It contains a lot of interesting details. Some of the information concerning William "Will" Edward Minahan, M.D. includes the following:

"Years before his death, a fortune teller had told Dr. Will he would die on his second trip to Europe. It was treated as a joke, but Dr. Will took out life insurance of $130,000 for the Titanic voyage."

"A friend, Col. John Jacob Astor, from Green Bay, was also on the Titanic. His body was also recovered."

"Will married Mary Elizabeth Digman in August, 1893. They divorced shortly after their daughter, Maude Olive, was born."

"Will married Lillian Thorpe February 3, 1903."

"Notes for Mary Elizabeth Dignan: Mary Elizabeth was a graduate of Oshkosh Normal (school) in Wisconsin and of Columbia University in New York. Following her graduation, she taught for 35 years in the New York City high schools. Mary was living in Green Bay, WI at the time of her death in 1952. She is buried in Allouez Catholic Cemetery in Green Bay."

"Notes for Maude Olive Minahan: Maude Olive was born October 15, 1894 and died March 26, 1961. Maude never married. She was living in New York City when her mother died. She is buried next to her mother in Allouez Catholic Cemetery in Green Bay."

"Notes for Lilliam Thorpe: Lillian was the second wife of William Edward Minahan, and she was a survivor on the S.S. Titanic disaster. She later moved to California and married again."

"In 1987, vandals shattered the Minahan mausoleum vault at Woodlawn Cemetery. They entered the crypt and tore off the front of the coffin, removing his skull, some teeth and a plaque. The vandals were later apprehended, and the skull was returned to the vault."

William Edward Minahan's mausoleum vault overlooks the Fox River from the bluff at the rear of the cemetery. There is now a heavy chain lock bolting the door of the vault. Riverside Drive runs between the back of the cemetery and the Fox River. I have driven past the Minahan vault many times, and you cannot help but notice it as you drive by. It is the only gravesite prominently positioned on the back bluff of the cemetery. I took a couple of photos that I will try to post here.

minahan_w.e._001_copy1.jpg

minahan_w.e._002.jpg

Brian Ahern

Dec 19, 2002
Thank you, Jeanne, for sharing that info and the beautiful photos. Sounds like Mary went to Columbia after her divorce. I didn't know Columbia took women back then (I probably never thought about it).

Your confirmation of his daughter's middle name strengthens the possibility that the photo I posted the link to is indeed a photo of Will's daughter. How many Maude Olive Minahans could there be? And I'll say again that she looks like him.

Still curious about the family finances, and the relationships between Maude, her father, and stepmother.

Regardless, one thing that's very striking about the Minahans is how accomplished they were as a family.

Jeanne Biebel

Oct 31, 2006
Brian - As my time permits, I will be doing some more in-depth reading of the spiral bound book, "MINAHAN, Early Green Bay Family." If I come across any further information regarding family finances, Dr. W. E. Minahan's daughter, Maude Olive, and her relationship with her father and step-mother, I will let you know.

What type of information are you interested in regarding family finances? The Minahans were a very accomplished family and I am sure in the highest tier of Green Bay society and financial status.

The photos you found are priceless! Maude Olive was a beautiful young woman and would have been 19 years old in her photo. I agree, the resemblance to Dr. William Edward Minahan is uncanny! And yes, how many Maude Olive Minahans can there be, let alone more than one sharing approximately the same age?

Maude Olive Minahan also bears a striking resemblance to Dr. Robert E. Minahan, older brother of Dr. John Roger Minahan and Dr. William Edward Minahan. Dr. Robert E. Minahan was the first in the family to become a physician, followed by Dr. John Roger Minahan, then Dr. William Edward Minahan. Dr. Robert E. Minahan was also a lawyer and Mayor of Green Bay, serving as Mayor 1904-1907. You can check out Dr. Robert E. Minahan's photo on this website:

http://www.ci.green-bay.wi.us/geninfo/mayors_past/mayor_minahan_o.html

Once a very prominent and influential family in Green Bay, there is no longer anyone named Minahan that I am aware of living in this area. I imagine they would be pleased to know they are remembered with great respect.

And some people think all we have here is a football team! (smile)

Jason D. Tiller

Aug 20, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
You're most welcome, Jeanne.

Those are terrific photos, thank you for sharing them; plus the information. I noticed that the photos are not in their respective biographies, so perhaps you might be interested in submitting them to the site. If so, just follow the links in their bios.

quote:

And some people think all we have here is a football team!

Well, perhaps this will change all that.
happy.gif

Brian Ahern

Dec 19, 2002
Sorry I didn't answer your question, Jeanne. I didn't log on all weekend. I guess when trying to get a sense of the life of anyone connected to the Titanic, how much cash they had matters. For me, it would answer a lot about how much freedom was enjoyed by Daisy, Lillian and Maude. I've always wondered what kind of home Daisy maintained, was she dependant on her brothers, how did she manage the move to California? I'm curious as the breadown of Will's will.

Thanks for posting that page on his brother! In spite of their success and obvious influence, I wonder about the position in Green Bay that the Minahans would have occupied. In many cities in 1912, being Irish, Catholic and of humble origins would have been a big strike against them. But cities that were newer and/or smaller weren't as particular.

Feb 12, 2007
My records: Lillian E. Thorpe, Born 2-7-1875 in Fort Wayne, IN. Died in 1962. Married William Edward Minahan on 2-3-1903 in Arkansas City, Kansas. Lillian had a total of 4 husbands: Edward Minahan, Paul Lawrence, Lee P. Kaull, an C. D. Danielson. Here is a newspaper article from The Daily Commonwealth newspaper in Fon du Lac, Wisconsin, on May 2, 1912. I am heavily researching Edward's brother, Dr. John R. Minahan. Any information is greatly appreciated!
<table border=1>[tr][td]
mime_msword.gif
Physician's Body Lying in Morgue
The Daily Commonwealth - Physician's Body Lying in Morgue.doc (21.0 k)[/td][/tr][/table]​

Mar 30, 1997
I have John born in Sep 1862 in Wisconsin. His wife's name is Mollie born in Aug 1874 in Wisconsin and with at least 2 children John and Robert.

May 24, 2001
I have just found this Message Board and I find it most interesting. Dr. William Edward Minahan was the son of William Burke Minahan and Mary Shaughnessy (from Ireland). Mary Shaughnessy was the sister of my great-grandfather William Shaughnessy who came to Australia from where I am writing today.

I am a keen genealogist and the information posted seems to be very accurate. ( John Roger Minahan was born on 6 September 1862 and married Mary B Bertles in Green Bay in 1899.)

Jun 24, 2008
Very interesting discussion site. Many of you may know more about this aspect of my family than I do. Did you realize the Minahans would not have been on the Titanic if Daisy hadn't gotten appendicitis while in Europe. We have a letter where she explains the delay in their travel but that they would now have the opportunity to sail on this wonderful new ship...

I'll try to get this letter and some other relevant materials scanned and available.

Dec 14, 2019
United States
Hello cousins!

I am Jeanne Minahan Robinson. My grandfather was Dr. John James Minahan, William E. Minahan's and Daisy Minahan's first cousin. My great-grandfather was also named John Minahan and was William B. Minahan's brother and Roger Minahan's son. My family's information says that my great-grandfather was born on South Inishkea Island in County Mayo, Ireland, although there is some discussion that it may actually have been North Inishkea Island. If any of you have information on this issue, please chime in. We also celebrate Roger Minahan as a "pirate", as he was organizing his fellow fishermen to stop the English ships transporting food out of Ireland during the Potato Famine. The "Robin Hood of the Irish Coast". (I think every family needs to have a pirate.) My father grew up in Chilton, WI in which there is a "Minahan Road". As a child, I did see the "Minahan Building" in Green Bay (since torn down) and William E's mausoleum.