Edwardian Country House Alert for Aussies

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
The ABC has just started screening The Edwardian Country House, in which modern people recreate life in a large luxury home of 1905.

The house includes all the modern conveniences of the day, as it really was built in 1905, with electric light, telephone and so forth.

It's interesting to see how both the 'owner' and the servants cope with Edwardian times. The scullery maid lasted just two days. The 'owner', in real life a well-to-do businessman, finds it hard to adjust to the formality. In coming episodes, all must cope with formal dinners and other social functions.

Tune in at 7-30 pm every Sunday.

L

Lianne Christian

Hi all, I'm new to the board. Have been a Titanic nut since childhood. I've been watching the Edwardian House and am absolutely riveted. What an eye opener! Glad I'm not some Edwardian slave! LOL

Dec 8, 2000
Hello Lianne,

I'm riveted to the show too - those poor scullery maids! That chef definitely has a few roos loose, and I don't think I'd cope well with him either, even while admiring his abilities and dedication to his role.

I'm also feeling for the earnest Butler, caught in the middle of both worlds. How was the episode where he was talking about feeling like a father to those 'downstairs' and then they 'betrayed' him by skiving off to hide the day after the shindig as they had hangovers.

The tensions are very interesting - as illuminating as some of the comments in previous weeks from those 'upstairs' about how smoothly some of it was running and what jolly good fun. Last week more cracks appeared when the realities of limited options in Edwardian society began to set in.

I've watched all of the 'house' series and this is the most interesting to date through the complex personal dynamics and the strict roles. The 'storyline' and characters are a lot more interesting (and informative) than many of the dramas currently screening.

Edited to add: er, now that I've rabbited on about the show it's just occurred to me that this thread probably belongs in the Titanic Telly forum. Oops! Sorry, Shelley.

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
Pesonally, I'm a bit disappointed in the series. The people often don't enter into the thing fully. They bring along their 21st century concerns and hangups. Some are too educated for their jobs. If I wanted a scullery maid, I'd look in the local chicken boning works, or somesuch place. They wouldn't think the job was so bad.

The chef might have few roos loose, but he's one of the few that is used to real work under real pressure. That's what happens in a big restaurant. Without him, they'd be lost.

I'll still be watching on Sunday. Don't forget the informative web site.