Edwardian Decorating

Status
Not open for further replies.
I must advise anyone who decides to try out Mackinac Island for the day...become a "fudgie"...please don't step in the exhaust.

-- David G. Brown

smile.gif
I have to smile. You have been to the place that I ~dream~ of going someday!
Went to the INSITE website, and for any Somewhere in Time fan... PLAY THE GAME!!! I made it to the end, proudly, but almost "took a 79 Lincoln back to reality". Haven't laughed so hard in a long time.
The 2000 get together was one I wish I could have gone to. Did you attend it?
Lots of good ideas around in just examining the surroundings. Watched the movie "Anne of Green Gables" last night.
Look out Martha Stewart!
smile.gif

Michael Standart has taken this as a cue to increase his Lowes stock option real quick! Went there 4 times last month alone. Pretty soon they'll know me by name!

HELLO AGAIN! Not to be deterred, I am back!
I have been paying close attention to some of my favorite movies, and have noticed something about the walls. (Forewarning, you may cringe at the lack of knowledge in my terminology!) For prime example, the movie "Somewhere in Time" (
smile.gif
) the walls are divided. they are dark on the bottom, divided by a "rail" light on the top, and there is a crown on the very top between the ceiling and wall. In one of the bedrooms, (the one Richard finds himself in, in 1912)the wall had 2 dividers, wood on the bottom, a divider, wallpaper in between, another divider, cream colored paint to the top and I believe a crown on top. That style architecture has caught my eye, and I would like to look into this much closer, but could anyone tell me if this particular style has a name?
Many thanks!

Shelley, you might have mentioned also that www.operagloves.com is an excellent source for locating fabulous photos of Classic stars of the Edwardian period - or maybe you have on another thread and I'm having a senior moment.

Kyrila

Colleen-
I can't remember the exact film depiction, regarding rooms, but I think you are referring to the woodwork. To give a little 101 here, I'll start from the floor: Floor molding, or baseboards, attached to the plaster with a "heel" (that little rounded stick that runs along covering the crack between). From here we could have "wainscoating", or paneling with a bevel (Arts & Crafts design pretty much dispenced with the bevel) that might go all up the wall in any pattern, or just a few feet up ending with a molding that mimics the baseboard, or "chairail" (so chair backs don't marr the walls). There could be a space for papered walls here (doors and windows would be outlined in some kind of wood treatment), that would lead up to the ceiling, where one would find the "crown-molding". This could be quite heavy; running some points across the ceiling, maybe into separate wood or plaster patterns all across the ceiling, culminating to a center piece where the light ficture would hang.
Now, there could be all sorts of variances on this theme; woodwork on the interior is old as an oak tree, used originally for insulation, then gradually lapping into the decorative. It was a way a cabinetmaker could strut his stuff- the more he strutted, the more money was spent, the more money...well, you get the idea. Also, I believe that a room, let us imagine devoid of any furnishings, artwork, etc., that is beautiful empty- well, decorating is already half done! So there is also a practical side to the interior structure.

Just be careful not to wear out that feather duster!
Kris-

Hi Kris. Yes, that is exactly what I am looking into. Does the style have a "name", so I can further research it in books and on line?
>>>>>across into separate wood or plaster patterns all across the ceiling, culminating to a center piece where the light ficture would hang.<<< Is that called sconces, and medalians?

>>>Also, I believe that a room, let us imagine devoid of any furnishings, artwork, etc., that is beautiful empty- well, decorating is already half done!<<< 100% agreed! It is just pulling apart the elements that together make it beautiful, that is challenging! But, quite enjoyable!

Colleen-
A style? Well, to be honest I don't think a name other than "decorating" can apply. Maybe Decorative Terms, or Encyclopedia Interioria (haha!) is where one would look under. Apart from my little bits above, there is so much more to the historical aspects that it could be quite overwhelming.

Medalian is probablly the fit term to what I was talking about; sconces are generally light fictures jutting from the walls, or from candlesticks ("esconse": French for screen or to hide, in the old days a lantern). Now, a carved motif on the wall with a sconce or lighted ...anything...hey! Why not?! As long as it fits in the setting, or at least compliments it. I don't really wan't to get too much into 1900's lighting, only because most didn't have that much!

Back to the wood, I wish I knew a generic word for this study. Paneling (basement den), Woodwork (8th grade woodshop), Trim (diets), Decor (a gazillion magazines)...the original meanings loose out to modern renderings. How about this: look at everything...then go with your gut! Just as long you can LIVE with it, you'll do fine!

Was that a Martha meets Vila moment or what?
Kris

Titanic's smoking room, I seem to recall from a postcard, had a coffered ceiling- which is an enhancement giving a 3-D effect and can be done with wood panels and beams or plaster moldings. I love the look of it and it can be achieved fairly easily today with faux stuff. I just bought a faux medallion at Home Depot for the foyer chandelier- looks great! Here is a coffered ceiling, and also a cove ceiling which is rounded near the top of the wall- this one is ornately painted in a fabulous William Morris type arts and craftsy pallette.
59240.png
59241.png

The morning room at Beechwood was imported from France and looks like a Wedgewood teacup- complete with rounded corners and applied white wall motifs. This is fairly easy to reproduce using bought pre-carved wooden embellishments found in the home decor stores. Caroline, JJ's Mama, would receive her visitors under a rose central ceiling medallion. Her social secretary, Ward McAllister, called her The Mystic Rose, and all gossip was told "sub-rosa" or under the rose, which meant it was not to be repeated!
59252.png

So beautiful. Almost a lost art in todays world! What an eye catching color of blue. (It appears this room includes the afore mentioned wainscoting and chair rail.) Is this how the house appears today?

Status
Not open for further replies.