Edwardian Era Films

Feb 14, 2011
What was the name of the Lighthouse in Somewhere In Time?

One detail i loved in the film was the elegant mirror in Richard's room (the 1912 room that is).
Id like to find a mirror just like that one.

.."What you will Rollo, what you will"

Regards

Tarn Stephanos

Apr 11, 2001
Tarn- am trying to find my Making of Somewhere in Time book -will have the name of the lighthouse tomorrow. Cinefantastique magazine also had a "making of" feature back in 1980.
Kate, that gorgeous 1912 layered ivory gown Elise wore in the "Man of my dreams" soliliquy cost $30,000 -and was covered with handsewn bugle beads. It was stolen just after the movie wrapped. Now to collect those hat links!

Feb 14, 2011
Thanks Shelley!
That film was beatuful. Is the soundtrack still in print?

ps- Sandi McNiff and Kenny Olson- our mutual friends,and fellow Titanic,Lizzie Borden and lighthouse buffs wanted me to tell you they said hi!

Peace
Tarn Stephanos

Kate Bortner

May 17, 2001
Okay, so maybe I can't build a gown thaaaaat elegant!
wink.gif
I'd love to get the hat links. Thank you! And you went to millinary school?! You amaze me Shell. You next visit this way (Kentucky) you have to promise to visit and teach me all your tricks.

Apr 11, 2001
Well it must be ESP Kate- here we are Somewhere in Time together! Forgot to mention that it is possible to alter ready made hats to look like 1912. I recently bought a big-brim buckram chapeau at TJ MAXX and with judicious trimming with ribbon and veiling, it looks like the real thing. The crowns tended to be wide but not terribly deep-to accommodate those vast knots and chignons of The Crowning Glory. I found a huge collection of 1912 hatpins here in my little town -the shaft of each pin is over a foot long-the price is $25 each-a bargain.No- I did not go to milliner's school-just worked in a shop an learned some tricks of the trade. Also worked in the retail chain "Heavenly Coiffures" back in the 1970's which made fake switches and chignons of something called Dynel- a synthetic "hair" which was all the rage and available in every shade- #1 being black- all the way to #144-I stillhave some pieces (#5!) I like to plop on top. The Gibson girl look with love tendrils made a huge comeback in the 1969-1971 period-come to think of it -it looked ridiculous with those silly knee-high vinyl boots and mini-skirts! I will post some more hat links over at the fashion thread later.

S

sharon rutman

The Dvd was terrific---I especially enjoyed the behind the scenes blow-by-blow description of the director of the film narrating the how and why of how certain scenes were filmed the way they were. Did any one notice how closely Somewhere in Time parallels Jack Finney's Time and Again? The hero of that story also falls in love with a girl from the past while working for some mysterious government project involving time travel. The self-hypnosis technique was straight out of Finney as well. Also Finney's hero, Si Morley sacrifices life in the present to be with his lady love Julia in l882. If you loved Somewhere in Time you'll also adore Time and Again. Oh--the sequel to Time and Again, From Time to Time involves the Titanic!

Apr 11, 2001
Author Richard Matheson is a great fan of Finney. If you notice in the movie, the book called "Travels Through Time" which Old Elise has in her cottage, is written by- Finney! When Richard goes to his old college professor Finney (who is the author of that book), Finney regales him with his brief timetravel to Italy-which lasted only a moment. This character was loosely based on Jack Finney. Originally Matheson had set the novel BID TIME RETURN in 1896 at another Gilded Age hotel- The Hotel Del Coronado. The existence of power lines and heavy air traffic made filming impossible there. The film was shot, with the exception of 4 days in Chicago at Richard's apartment-on beautiful Mackinac Island where time does stand still-no cars allowed. Elise McKenna is based on Gilded Age sensation, Maude Adams- darling of J.M. Barrie and Lusitania's Charles Frohman. Her life is even more interesting than the fictional Elise. The webpage will be coming soon- OH NO the crowd groans- where will it all end?!

Apr 11, 2001
By the way- Time and Again HAS been made into a musical- I saw the off-Broadway debut at the Eugene O'Neill in New London about 5 years ago- it is brilliant. Hope it makes it to the bigtime.
Tarn- YES the soundtrack is still a HUGE seller. Even Walmart is never out of the tape or CD. The DVD, laserdisc, and VCR format are also on shelves nearly everywhere all the time. It has been included in many lists of "Most Romantic"films of all time- right up there with Casablanca, African Queen, Gone With the Wind, and oh dear..Cameron's Titanic! I might also suggest Two Worlds of Jenny Logan, Portrait of Jennie, and The Ghost and Mrs. Muir if you liked SIT. By the way the society paid for stars on the Hollywood walk of fame for Jane and Chris and have to date raised 11,000 for spinal cord research.

Tracy Smith

Apr 20, 2012
South Carolina USA
Shelley, you're on my wavelength with these romantic time travel stories.
happy.gif
Also enjoyed Two Worlds of Jenny Logan, Portrait of Jennie, and especially Ghost and Mrs Muir. There is also a book that goes with the Jenny Logan story, which my library fortunately has a copy of.

Apr 11, 2001
Second Sight by David Williams is the book Jenny Logan's based upon- I like it too Tracy! Portrait of Jennie is also a novel- the author's last name is Nathan. Would be great if we could collaborate on a time travel romance aboard Titanic- am SURE somebody out there has done it though somewhere! Maybe it could be an ET Board effort- hey- we'd get the DETAILS right!

Kate Bortner

May 17, 2001
I feel like I've died and gone to Kindred Spirit Heaven. . . you all are the best! The Ghost and Mrs. Muir is one of my favorites!!!!!!
The links are wonderful Shelley. Thankyou. Not sure what I'll "create" for Newport; only know I'm there!!! Still waiting for more details.
Thanks again.
Hey Tracy, what do ya need, maybe I can help with the sewing. I'm starting a new job in a few weeks, but if you give me some notice, I'd be happy to build something for you. Or you can do what Miss Kyrila did and mail me the fabric and pieces and directions and I'll assemble it for you. Drop me a private e-mail if you want to talk about it.
Boy have we veered off. What thread was this again??
wink.gif

-kate.

Apr 11, 2001
Tarn- the name of that lighthouse is just Round Island Light-there are currently nice prints of it by Nancy Phelps on Ebay.

S

sharon rutman

They're always talking about making Time and Again into a film--I heard somewhere that Robert Redford has the rights--but nothing ever comes of it. Is there any truth to this. It's a real shame this book was never adapted for either the big or small screen.

Tracy Smith

Apr 20, 2012
South Carolina USA
I've got a new movie for all you time travel and romance buffs. "Kate and Leopold", made last year and just released on tape and DVD. Has anyone seen this? I loved it and I think all of you will, too.

Here is a plot summary that I found:

Kate and her actor brother live in N.Y. in the 21st Century. Her ex-boy friend, Stuart, lives above her apartment and finds this space near the Brooklyn Bridge where there is a gap in time. He goes back to the eighteen hundreds and takes pictures of the place. Leopold, a man living in the 1870's, was puzzled by Stuart's tiny camera and decides to follow him and they both ended up in this century. Leopold is clueless about his new surroundings. He gets help and insights from Charlie who thinks that Leopold is an actor who is always in character. Leopold is a highly intelligent man and tries his best to learn and even improve the modern conveniences that he encounters. New York has a very fast pace to Leopold. Kate is climbing the corporate ladder in advertising. She symbolizes this fast pace. She meets Leopold who is a gentleman, a gorgeous man and they fall in love. When she finally gets to the top of the ladder, she is no longer interested in it. Leopold has made Kate reflect upon what is really important in life. (Summary written by Rosemea D.S. MacPherson)