Edwardian evening gown

D

Dana Cantu

Hello all! I'm just wondering if anyone knows of any Edwardian evening gowns? I should probably say "Titanic era" of like 1911, 1912 or 1913. I've found many original gowns but they are all (as you can imagine) expensive or already sold. I'm kinda looking for a pattern. I know around the time of the '97 movie, patterns sprang up but I cannot find them now, just wondering if anyone has any ideas.

Thanks!

Apr 11, 2001
Simplicity and Butterick have some patterns in their costume section. For a ready-made dress, go to Victorian Trading Company. They have a nice one onsale at the moment.http://www.victoriantradingco.com/catindex/C2-3.html
I just got this one from this company for the upcoming TIS banquet.
124719.jpg

Another company which has amazing repro clothing in the 1850-1920 styles is Recollections. I have purchased many items from this company and they are fast, reasonably priced, and have amazing accessories.http://www.recollections.biz/
Click on Edwardian Era for 5 pages of pretty period items. Check out the clearance and sale links too to get some bargains. I love their hats too, although it is easy to trim up a hat you might already have with a large brim using ostrich feathers and lace and lots of wide ribbon. Ostrich feathers can be found super cheap on ebay.

124720.jpg

124721.jpg

Kyrila Scully

Apr 15, 2001
South Florida
You might as well buy that dress, because--trust me, I've made at least a dozen of them--you're going to spend at least that much in fabric and embellishments to make a decent gown.

Kyrila

D

Dana Cantu

Thanks Shelley! Wow, you bought that dress? It's beautiful! And I also love Edwardian hats! Thank you it was really helpful. And Kyrila you are right on that too, since Edwardian evening gowns are so extravigant in the first place it would cost about the same...Thanks!

Apr 11, 2001
That's so true about the price coming out the same in the end for ready-made versus do -it-yourself. You can save lots on making your own accessories and finding bits of jewelry, strap, low-heeled pumps and little beaded handbags, but the fabrics and trim bought by the yard at the store will break the bank. Often you have to shop in the bridal section. Lace overlays cost the earth! I learned this the hard way -not to mention the stress of sewing it yourself, trying not to waste fabric or make a mistake.
This one from the same company is a steal at 69 dollars and could be dressed up with a lace wrap, jewelry and some black ostrich feathers in the hair. They still have it in large or small at this price. Kyrila and I love our fancy duds!

124732.jpg

D

Dana Cantu

Thanks to both of you guys. It was really helpful. I'm going to see what I can do!

Thanks

Kyrila Scully

Apr 15, 2001
South Florida
You can save money on laces and trims by visiting your local GoodWill or Salvation Army thrift shops (or other thrift shops) for old wedding and prom dresses--dirt cheap! And then transfer them to your dress or hat project.

Kyrila

Chad Goodwin

Aug 2, 2006
If you ever get to the Dallas area there is a Vintage clothing store about 33 miles south that always has great edwardian clothing.....THE Kaufmans have been in business for almost 30 years.....they have even done costumes for movies......anyway I bought a great 1910-1913 evening gown from them for $20...the tulle needs to be replaced but it has incredible silver lace on it.....and I even bought the original silver shoes for $15....

Chad Goodwin

Aug 2, 2006
sure www.bontonvintage.com there may not be anything on their website but they have a huge 2 story building full of some of the best vintage...they have been voted the best in Texas several times......Barbara is the nicest person.....she has everything from patterns to bits and pieces of lace.......last time I was there she had an incredible bustle suit in a beautiful shade of blue......

Chad Goodwin

Aug 2, 2006
there is also a shop called vintage martini here in Dallas....they buy alot of their stuff from Bon Ton........then mark the price way up.....way UP!!!!!!! www.vintagemartini.com......I should dig the 1912 silver lace dress out and take a pic and post it........then there is the huge plumed edwardian hat....and the silver shoes......the black velvet motoring coat and hobble skirt.....part of my collection can be seen on my space page.....www.myspace.com/1969cubby

Kyrila Scully

Apr 15, 2001
South Florida
Wow, the shoes are in remarkable condition--yes I can see some tears but I advise you to spray them with an adhesive or clear fabric sealant and allow them to dry where dust or bugs won't stick to them in the process. This will prevent the tears from getting worse.

I'll have to post some photos of my gowns. Two of them were created from pictures of Lady Duff-Gordon original couture.

Kyrila Scully

Apr 15, 2001
South Florida
This gown was created from a 1916 design of Lady Duff-Gordon's Lucile Ltd. couture (source:Tom Tierney's Great Fashion Designs of the Belle Epoque)

dscn2426.jpg

I designed this gown using pieces from several patterns on hand, inspired by an illustration I found on RaspberryBeret.com

dscn2431.jpg

My own version of The Flying Dress using the Vogue pattern of the same.

dscn2435.jpg

This gown I designed using the "Simplicity Swim Dress" pattern. I made it for my daughter so it's a smaller size than the other gowns.

dscn2443.jpg

This is as close to an exact replica of a suit sold in a 1916 Sears catalog as my skills would allow.

dscn2447.jpg

One of my favorite gowns in TITANIC is the breakfast gown Kate Winslet wore when "Cal" overturned the table on the private promenade deck. So this breakfast dress is inspired by that one--and is one of my favorites in the collection. You'll notice I used the same fabrics as the "swim dress" I made for my daughter. Loved the fabric but didn't want to make identical gowns. The yellow print is the robe over the blue gown with white embroidery on both front and back bodices.

dscn2458.jpg

Inspired by Scarlett O'Hara, I call this one my "curtain gown." Underneath that is the same gown with the matching embroidered shawl.

dscn2461.jpg

dscn2462.jpg

This gown was inspired by the Ken Marschall painting of the Grand Staircase--there was a woman descending the stairs wearing a luscious red gown with black sash and flower on the shoulder. I later learned that Ken used an actual gown by Lucile Ltd. for that image!

dscn2468.jpg

dscn2471.jpg

One of my favorites, inspired by a Lanvin "at home dress" circa 1912. I was thrilled when I walked into the fabric shop and spotted this material almost identical to the actual Lanvin gown. I also designed a matching hat, pictured separately.

dscn2481.jpg

dscn2487.jpg

I didn't make this blouse. It's an actual vintage lace blouse from the Victorian era and I loved it so much. It was very exciting to win this in an auction.

dscn2512.jpg

I don't have a really good photo of my black beaded embroidery gown with velvet shawl, but I will post one as soon as I can. I didn't make it--actually bought it on sale at Macy's but it's perfectly Edwardian.

Kyrila Scully

Apr 15, 2001
South Florida
These are not gowns that I made, but part of my collection. This one is a vintage nightgown topped with a stage lifebelt.

dscn3534.jpg

Here is a detail of the embroidery on the nightgown.

dscn3536.jpg

Detail of the back of the nightgown.

dscn3557.jpg

My First Class evening gown (front)

dscn3550.jpg

(Back)

dscn3556.jpg

My velvet embroidered shawl to go with my gown.

dscn3543.jpg

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
Hallo Chad - always good to see another vintage clothing collector! My main area of interest is a bit later - primarily 1920s - although I do dabble occasionally in the teens and 30s. I've dealt online with Vintage Martini and have found them excellent - they recently had a great sale and I picked up a couple of cloches I was very pleased with, in addition to a 30s gown. I'll have to send an email to Bon Ton to see if they sell internationally. I'm way behind in the Ballyhoo thread, but I've been on an anti-Recession buying spree lately (in true 1920s denial and spenthriftlessness). One of my favourite recent buys is a House of Adair green velvet dress with with heavy pink beadwork c. 1922-23 and a matching pink silk opera cape. Also some fantastic evening cloches.

Love your gowns, Kyrila - Lanvin is one of my favourite designers from the Edwardian period, and possibly my very favourite of the 1920s. Do you have the lavishly illustrated Merceron coffee table book? Glorious. I don't have any of her earlier dresses, but do have one from 1932 that looks quite transitional - shorter hem with a training "peacock" hem, waist sitting quite low. It's in excellent condition - just a tiny nibble or two on the taffeta sash and one or two repairs in the lace - but I've only ever dared wear it for a quick couple of photos as I'd never forgive myself if it were harmed.