Edwardian evening gown

Chad Goodwin

Aug 2, 2006
hi Inger I collect later stuff too...my fav is the 1950s.....i have a small collection of poodle skirts and 50s prom dresses
50s_tulle_formal_copy1.jpg

Kyrila Scully

Apr 15, 2001
South Florida
I hadn't heard of that one, Inger. My interest is more Victorian and Edwardian, so my collection of books about historic clothing are narrowed to those eras. Although I would love to have something on Coco Chanel. Charles Worth is one of my favorites, as is Lucile Ltd. But I also love Paul Poirot, Doeuillet and Drecoll. I have a friend here who collects Edwardian gowns and has a gorgeous Charles Worth that her daughter wore in the documentary, TITANIC REVEALED. I was wearing my red gown in the photos featured in that same documentary.

How many gowns do you have, Chad? Are you registered with the guild in Hollywood? Costume designers are always looking for sources for authentic period clothing when costuming films.

Kyrila Scully

Apr 15, 2001
South Florida
Tom Tierney illustrated a "paper dolls" book called NEWPORT FASHIONS OF THE GILDED AGE which actually features two gowns worn by Mrs. George Widener (a reception gown from 1890 and a 1913 "at home" gown) and a day dress worn by the widow Mrs. John Jacob Astor in 1913 at a sporting event following the birth of her son. In fact, Madeleine's outfit is featured on the back cover of the book, while Mrs. Widener's black velvet reception gown is on the front cover--featuring a rope of her famous pearls dangling almost to her knees.

The Vanderbilts are also featured among other Newport hostesses. It is interesting to note that Tom Tierney included a bit of trivia regarding the Widener's Newport home, Miramar, being designed by Julian Abele, the first major African-American architect.

Chad Goodwin

Aug 2, 2006
oh my collection isn't what it use to be......at one point I had over 300 hats,400 dresses,200 pairs of shoes and over 4,000 pieces of antique jewelry...and that was my personal collection....not including my store stock......at the time I had a 3 bedroom house.....one of then bedroom was converted to a closet.........about 5 years ago I decided to sell a few pieces.......i am down to 150 dresses,60 hats,and 15 pairs of shoes....i can't seem to get rid of the jewelry......i have it all over the place.....love the way it sparkles

Inger Sheil

Feb 9, 1999
That sounds like an absolutely magnificent collection, Chad - I imagine that what you've saved must be some of the absolutely choice pieces? I haven't done an inventory on my collection in a while - I'm behind in updating my acquisitions files - but the conservation boxes are filling up all the available places. The pieces you linked to in this thread look like quintessential classics...absolutely book-worthy.

I'm fond of a bit of sparkle myself! One reason why I've built up a bit of a collection of late teens/early 20s diamante bandeaux...and why I have a deep and abiding affection for the beaded and sequinned dresses of the 20s.

Kyrila, you'd love the Merceron book on Lanvin's work - it extends back to her Edwardian beginnings. Some of the millinary work in particular is breathtaking (remembering that she began her design career as a milliner).

I only have a couple of books on Chanel - there's The World of Coco Chanel which is an interesting look at her in her cultural context (some of the earliest Edwardian photos of her are absolutely fascinating) and Chanel: The Couturier at Work.

How about Elegance: The Seeberger Brothers and the Birth of Fashion Photography? Nicely illustrated, covering Edwardian fashion through the 30s.

I've seen the Tierney books advertised (I was particularly chuffed to see he did an Annette Kellerman paper doll) but have never seen one "in the flesh". The Worth dress sounds absolutely fantastic - I'm a bit of a fan of both Charles Frederick Worth (1825 - 1895)and his sons, Gaston and Jean-Phillipe. Absolutely classic style You're probably familiar with Poiret's early work with the Worth brothers?

Kyrila Scully

Apr 15, 2001
South Florida
Chad--your collection isn't what it used to be, but it's still immense! Hollywood costumers would love to have your phone number! Do you have a website with photographs of your collection on display? If not, you should. It's also a good way to inventory your items for insurance purposes.

Inger--Yes, I would love those books! Most of my books on costuming are the Dover Publishing collections of antique catalogs, the Peacock chronicles, the Tierney paper doll books and such that feature a number of illustrations of various designers and eras. Purpose of the collection of books was to guide me as a theater costumer. I would love to start getting books about individual designers, and these titles are making me salivate! Hopefully I can find a new job soon so I can put those in my shopping cart.

Chad Goodwin

Aug 2, 2006
Kyrila I was at Barns and Nobels the other day and they have an incredible book about the 20s-40s designers....My Favorites are Adrian and Dior...my fav design of Dior is from 1948...this incredible strapless velvet and silk tulle with cabbage roses that required 110 yards of material in the skirt.......Edith Head is another fav.......

Kyrila Scully

Apr 15, 2001
South Florida
Their website has all the books Inger mentioned, but I'm not in a position to purchase them right now. I've been out of work for a few weeks. (Thanks to Wachovia, for wiping out my employer!)

Chad Goodwin

Aug 2, 2006
sorry to hear that........i recently had an finacial change in my life too.........left a cheating lying abusive man and 200k a year security....but life gets better.....don't let it get you down

Chad Goodwin

Aug 2, 2006
I went to a huge Estae sale this weekend......bought a killer pair of black leather shoes with little rhinestone buckles..old store stock.....was looking at them and found the date may1912....paid $8 for them......also bought a pair of ladies feather fans($5)and a huge plastic tub of mens ties.....300 of them...anyway thought you guys might like to see the shoes