Edwina Celia Troutt

• Thread starter Magda Natalia Piotrowska
  • Start date

M

Magda Natalia Piotrowska

Hi there!

Can anyone know info about Winnie Troutt, second class passenger's life (how many did she married?). I'm interested in what did she do at the Titanic board and other news too.
Regards,
Magda

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
Hi Magda.

An excellent source on information about Edwina Troutt, later McKenzie, is Don Lynch. He knew her for several years.

An interesting story about her was that, in 1915, she accepted a job in Bermuda, and during her trip there, the ship she was on encountered rough seas, probably trying to avoid a hurricane.
Anyway, upon disembarking the ship, another passenger made a remark to her, to the effect of, "I'll be that trip made you never want to get on another ship, ever".

Without elaborating, Edwina shrugged and said "I've been through worse".

In 1984, there was a big celebration planned for Edwina, at the Hollywood Bowl, and everyone sang "Happy Birthday", when she turned 100; Edwina had been involved with civic activities, later in life.
She died in late 1984.

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
Hi Magda.

Unfortunately, I never met Edwina, nor Ruth Becker Blanchard (both lived in Southern California).

Don Lynch can answer most, if not all, your questions, though, right now, I am not sure of his schedule (we have not spoken in a couple months, due to various factors; yes, both of us have non-Titanic commitments to deal with).
queasy.gif

S

saskia linders

Hello Magda,

As far as I know about Edwina Troutt, I can tell you she married four times. Her first husband was a baker in Southern California. She has lived in Beverly Hills. Later she lived in Hermosa Beach where she was known for her social activities.
Well, it's not much, but this is all I know about her.

May 7, 2006
Hello All:
I apologize for the delay in reading and responding to your 2003 messages regarding Edwina Troutt Mackenzie. I would like to add a few items about her. My parents, Otto and Mary Baumgartner were close friends of Edwina. During the 1950's - 1970's, they lived two blocks apart in Hermosa Beach, California. My father and mother would visit Edwina and take her site seeing. Occasionally, he would make repairs to her home on 6th Street. I was first introduced to her when my parents brought her to our home in Laguna Hills, CA in the late 1970's. I recall Edwina, at my father's request, telling my wife and I the first person account of the sinking, which she reiterated with dramatic elocution...especially when the passengers were being loaded into lifeboats. Winnie had decided not to get into a lifeboat, however she said that a man carrying an infant called out "who will save this child"? On impulse she responded "I will!" According to her recollection, crew members tossed both Winnie and the child to other crew members manning the lifeboat. She cared for the infant until they were rescued by the Carpathia and the child's mother located. Edwina also said that, while the lifeboat was being rowed away from the ship, Mr. Bailey, the crew member in charge of the boat, urged the passengers to sing a well known song, being that the sounds of the people in the water was very unnerving. As she reiterated the story on the lifeboat deck and in the lifeboat, I remember the hair standing up on the back of my neck. I believe that Edwina was 27 at the time and on her way to visit her sister in Massachusetts. It was her second trip to the US. She was from Bath, England.

Edwina was very prominent in the U.S. Titanic Historical Society and she loved to go to elementary schools and talk to the children about the Titanic. She was a very upbeat woman who said that she believed that God had saved her so that she could help others and to also be able to spread the story of the Titanic. For several years, each April 15th, Winnie would be a guest on the Johnny Carson show. She also can be seen attending a Titanic Historical Society function on the original National Geographic tape of the Titanic. In the late 70's, she invited my mother to go with her to Germany as her companion for a TV interview regarding the Titanic. They did not however make the trip.

My parents and I attended Edwina's 100th birthday party held for her by the City of Hermosa Beach at Clark Statium in July 1984. Presentations were made to her by the Mayor of the City of Hermosa Beach and the Mayor of Redondo Beach, as well as the Daughters of the British Empire. She was obviously in failing health at the time but appeared to be able to recognize people.

My father and I also attended Edwina's funeral some five months later in December 1984. It was held at Our Lady of Guadalupe Catholic Church in Hermosa Beach, where for many years she and my parents were parishioners. If I recall correctly, she is buried in Holy Cross Cemetery in the Los Angeles area.

I believe that she was married either three or four times over her long life, being married to each husband until their deaths.

Edwina drove a little red Ford Pinto until she was 96 years of age, when she backed into a wall pulling out of her driveway. Her housekeeper then hid the keys so that she wouldn't injure anyone. That severely curtailed her local travel and charitable activities, however she continued to make various other appearances as her health was still reasonably good.

All in all, I found Edwina to be one of the most interesting and exuberant people that I have ever met.

I want to thank Phil Hind for the many years of creating this, the most authentic and historical web site on the Titanic.

Regards,
Joe Baumgartner
Mission Viejo, California, USA

Kyrila Scully

Apr 15, 2001
South Florida
We do appreciate your input, Joseph. Without people like you to help us with our research, these memories would be lost forever. Now they can be shared to all interested in Titanic and her passengers and crew.

I had never heard about her appearances on the Tonight Show before. This is very interesting! I wonder if she appears on any of the videos available for sale?

Kyrila

Mauro Zungri

Nov 2, 2004
Joseph: Thank you very much to share with all we these memories of Edwina.
I dare to do a question to him. Edgar Andrew was fellow traveller of Edwina, she in at some time mentions something of. Thank you very much and I apologize again by English

May 9, 2006
Hi,
I just happen to come across this site and was SO excited!! I am one of several step-grandchildren of Winnie Trout MacKenzie. My grandfather was James MacKenzie. It is SO exciting to see that people are interested in information about my "grandmother."
Unfortunately, I do not live in California, so my interactions with Winnie were few. However, when I was a little girl I remember staying home from school to watch "Grandma Winnie" on TV whenever there was a Titanic special. I am not sure that you all are aware, but Winnie was the oldest living survivor of the Titanic before she passed away.
My family and I did go out to visit Winnie a few times. Unfortunately, I was not old enough to appreciate her at the time and did not REALLY listen to her wonderful stories. Then when I was old enough to WANT to know everything, it was her 100th birthday and unfortunately she had lost most of her abilities to tell the stories. However, I have an older sister who was very into listening to her stories and remembers all of them.
One story I do remember, that no one has mentioned, is the fact that Winnie was in lifeboat 13. That was, unlike most people, her "lucky" number. I remember her telling the story of being in the lifeboat (yes, I also remember the baby story which WAS depicted in a movie version of the Titanic a long time ago) and the other lifeboats were being lowered down as well. Her lifeboat was still attached to the ship and the lifeboat above her was coming down on top of them. I remember Winnie telling us about how the people were yelling to cut the ropes. If you saw the most recent Titanic movie, this was depicted in this movie.
My entire family and I (sister, mother, etc.) went to see the Titanic together. It was amazing to hear all the names of the people my grandmother had spoken about so long ago.
I want to thank everyone again for keeping my memory of Winnie alive. I will pass this site on to my mother and sister......they will be able to add much more detailed stories.

Kyrila Scully

Apr 15, 2001
South Florida
Welcome to the site, Dorreen. I hope you will stick around and learn more about the other passengers and crew. We have indeed kept up with all the survivors of Titanic - some of us since the 50's and 60's when "A Night to Remember" was released in theaters and television. Winnie is a favorite for her willingness to meet with those of us interested in Titanic at THS conventions, etc. and answer all our questions.

Kyrila

Mauro Zungri

Nov 2, 2004
Dear Dorreen A. Benoit very welcome to this wonderful site.
My name is Mauro and is of Argentina (South America) and hopes that in this site encuntres many of the answers that you look for. A passenger of my country was Edgardo Andrews and according to account history arrived to make friends very good during the passage.
Very welcome again.

Jun 4, 2006
Hello,
It was interesting reading Mr Baumgartner and Ms Benoit recollection of Edwina Troutt. I first knew winnie in 1955 when my Aunt Genevieve Corrigan Herwer father James Corrigan married Edwina in that same year. Even though the marriage last only two years (James passed away in 1957) Winnie stayed in touch with my Aunt until Winnie passed away in 1984. I remember Winnie would think nothing of driving 450 miles in her Pinto from Hermosa Beach to Los Altos to vist her nice (Ms Dukat). I also recall Winnies story about her Lindbergh ring. It was May 21 1927 Charles Lindbergh had flown from New York to Paris, this was quite a occassion for the time and winnie's first husband Alfred Petersen when out and bought Winnie a diamond ring and she called it her lindbergh ring from then on. I remember in 1963 when Winnie married her third husband James MacKenzie Sr. and at that time Winnie was 79 and James was 74. The last time I saw Edwina was at her 100 birthday party and it was a large turn out. When I walked in the door of Clark's stadium the first person I recognized was an old teacher from Narbonne High school it made me wonder what Miss Alice Sturdy was doing there. Come to find out Miss Sturdy and Winnie were long time friends. I don't think I met Mr Baumgartner family at the party, but we were all there for the same reason. Edwina was a great Lady and I mean Lady.
Thomas Herwer
Port Townsend, WA

Kyrila Scully

Apr 15, 2001
South Florida
Ironically I was at an estate sale the other day and picked up this People Magazine with a cover story about Paul and Linda McCartney from April, 1975. Behind the article about the McCartneys was an article about Edwina Troutt McKenzie! I was so excited! Only paid $5.00 for the issue.

Kyrila

Jun 4, 2006
Hello again,
There has been several inquires as to how many times Edwina Troutt has been married. This is what I have:
(1)Alfred Throvald Petersen B. 1879
M. 1 Oct 1919
D. 1944

(2)James Corrigan B. 5 Nov. 1878
M. 23 July 1955
D. 25 May 1957

(3)James Morrell MacKenzie B. 13 April 1889
m. 30 Nov. 1963
D. Aug 1967
There were no children from the three marriages. The closest living relative on Edwina side was a niece. Winifred Dukat who lived in Los Altos, CA
and she passed away at age 86 in Oct 2000. I hope this information helps.
Tom Herwer

Arne Mjåland

Oct 21, 2001
There was an obituary about Edwina in Times, Hermosa Beach Dec. 4 1984. According to the obituary, she died of kidney and respiratory failure in a South Bay hospital. It was also mentioned that she crossed the Atlantic two dozen times, by ship and then by plane. Just a week before her death she told Don Lynch in the Titanic Historical Society about being limited by not having a car. It was also mentioned that she was survived by a niece from the San Jose area and a nephew in Florida. None of her several husbands were mentioned. She was indeed a remarkable survivor. There is certainly more information about her to be found.
I have read in another place that Edwina had communucated a lot with the railway engineer Milling from Denmark who lost his life on the Titanic.

Jan 25, 2007
Thanks for all the information, my mom just recently gave me a copy of my family tree and I was researching Edwina Celia "Winnie" Troutt and came upon this site. Edwina was my great grandmothers sister, I didn't know much about her until now, she sounded like such a lovely fun loving lady, wish i would of know her!

Reactions: 1 user