Edwina Celia Troutt

M

MARK BRAY

DOES ANYONE KNOW ABOUT HER FAMILY, IF SHE EVEN HAD ONE LIKE CHILDREN, I DO KNOW SHE WAS MARRIED. IN THE PICTURE ET PROVIDES IN HER BIO, WHO ARE THE PEOPLE WITH HER? IS ANY OF HER FAMILY LIVING TODAY?

MARK BRAY

PLEASE HELP ANYONE!!!!!!!

M

Mark Bray

I am sorry about the caps. I just like writing in them. I understand it indicates yelling, sorry again, but thanks for replying.

Mark : )

Roselle Zubey

Apr 28, 2000
To anybody who might know-I am doing research for a historical novel about the Titanic disaster. For my research for this novel I am wondering if anyone knows what role second class survivor Edwina Troutt McKenzie played in the reform of maritime law. I'd really appreciate knowing about this because I think working on the reform of maritime law would be something good for my fictional female survivor to do. If anyone has any information that might be of help they can either respond to this post or email me privately at the e-mail address above. Thanks in advance. Roselle Zubey

R

Rolf Vonk

Hello,

I've read somewhere that Edwina Trout brought her marmalade machine with her on board as bagage. I want to know if this is true, because I can't find that back in the cargo list. Is there anyone who can tell me something about a kind of bagagelist from Titanic??

Greetings Rollie
happy.gif

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
If it was a peice small enough to be packed inside the baggage, it's not the sort of thing you would see listed on the cargo manifest. Unwanted baggage was identified as to owner and placed in baggage stowage, but the contents wouldn't have been inventoried.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Philip Hind

Editor
Staff member
Sep 1, 1996
England
Wonder who the mystery curator is?

An important six-page TLS to the curator of a Historical Society, giving extraordinary details about her experiences and the experiences of others the night the Titanic hit an iceberg and sank. In part: "...I shall remember it the rest of my days. I can never forget what I call the 'Scream of Death' which happened the moment the Titanic gave up life and 1,500 people hit the icy water at the same moment..." Signed, dated and titled in blue ballpoint ink at the top of the 1st page, in full: "1979. The experience of a Titanic passenger named E.C. Troutt. April 15, 1912. Saved in lifeboat 12. Mrs. J. MacKenzie." A phenomenal memoir.
It is interesting to note that there was almost no interest in autographed material of Titanic survivors until the late 1970's, by which time most survivors still living were too young at the time of the disaster to remember much, if anything. Mrs. MacKenzie was one of a very few old enough to remember and write a first-hand account in 1979.

http://search.sothebys.com/browse/viewLot/lotDetail.jsp?LOT_ID=3G8H7

M

Magda Natalia Piotrowska

Hi there!

Can anyone know info about Winnie Troutt, second class passenger's life (how many did she married?). I'm interested in what did she do at the Titanic board and other news too.
Regards,
Magda

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
Hi Magda.

An excellent source on information about Edwina Troutt, later McKenzie, is Don Lynch. He knew her for several years.

An interesting story about her was that, in 1915, she accepted a job in Bermuda, and during her trip there, the ship she was on encountered rough seas, probably trying to avoid a hurricane.
Anyway, upon disembarking the ship, another passenger made a remark to her, to the effect of, "I'll be that trip made you never want to get on another ship, ever".

Without elaborating, Edwina shrugged and said "I've been through worse".

In 1984, there was a big celebration planned for Edwina, at the Hollywood Bowl, and everyone sang "Happy Birthday", when she turned 100; Edwina had been involved with civic activities, later in life.
She died in late 1984.

M

Magda Natalia Piotrowska

Thanks, John!
Do you know did Winnie has children?
Regards,
Magda

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
Hi Magda.

Unfortunately, I never met Edwina, nor Ruth Becker Blanchard (both lived in Southern California).

Don Lynch can answer most, if not all, your questions, though, right now, I am not sure of his schedule (we have not spoken in a couple months, due to various factors; yes, both of us have non-Titanic commitments to deal with).
queasy.gif

S

saskia linders

Hello Magda,

As far as I know about Edwina Troutt, I can tell you she married four times. Her first husband was a baker in Southern California. She has lived in Beverly Hills. Later she lived in Hermosa Beach where she was known for her social activities.
Well, it's not much, but this is all I know about her.

M

Magda Natalia Piotrowska

In which lifeboat was Edwina Troutt rescue? In many sources I found different boats: 13, 16 or collapsible D. Please help me!

George Behe

Dec 11, 1999
Hi, Magda!

Don Lynch (who knew Edwina and the details of her story better than anyone else) believes that she was in Collapsible D instead of boat #13. Don once told me that he'd like to write a brief essay for my website detailing the evidence pertaining to Edwina's lifeboat, so I'll let the ET board know when (or if) he gets around to writing the article in question.

All my best,

George

Jul 20, 2000
Hi George, Manda, Manuel,

I believe that Winnie was in boat 16. Althought I no longer recall her exact wording; I remember Winnie saying to me that the man in charge of her lifeboat was the Master-At-Arms, Mr Bailey.

Hope that helps,
Lester

George Behe

Dec 11, 1999
Hi, Lester!

Edwina told me about Bailey, too. (When Don and I visited Bailey's daughter in England, she also mentioned that her father was in #16.) I don't know everything that Don knows about Edwina, though, so I'll wait to see what he has to say about the matter.

All my best,

George