Edwina Celia Troutt

M

Mauro Zungri

Joseph: Thank you very much to share with all we these memories of Edwina.
I dare to do a question to him. Edgar Andrew was fellow traveller of Edwina, she in at some time mentions something of. Thank you very much and I apologize again by English

D

Dorreen A. Benoit

Hi,
I just happen to come across this site and was SO excited!! I am one of several step-grandchildren of Winnie Trout MacKenzie. My grandfather was James MacKenzie. It is SO exciting to see that people are interested in information about my "grandmother."
Unfortunately, I do not live in California, so my interactions with Winnie were few. However, when I was a little girl I remember staying home from school to watch "Grandma Winnie" on TV whenever there was a Titanic special. I am not sure that you all are aware, but Winnie was the oldest living survivor of the Titanic before she passed away.
My family and I did go out to visit Winnie a few times. Unfortunately, I was not old enough to appreciate her at the time and did not REALLY listen to her wonderful stories. Then when I was old enough to WANT to know everything, it was her 100th birthday and unfortunately she had lost most of her abilities to tell the stories. However, I have an older sister who was very into listening to her stories and remembers all of them.
One story I do remember, that no one has mentioned, is the fact that Winnie was in lifeboat 13. That was, unlike most people, her "lucky" number. I remember her telling the story of being in the lifeboat (yes, I also remember the baby story which WAS depicted in a movie version of the Titanic a long time ago) and the other lifeboats were being lowered down as well. Her lifeboat was still attached to the ship and the lifeboat above her was coming down on top of them. I remember Winnie telling us about how the people were yelling to cut the ropes. If you saw the most recent Titanic movie, this was depicted in this movie.
My entire family and I (sister, mother, etc.) went to see the Titanic together. It was amazing to hear all the names of the people my grandmother had spoken about so long ago.
I want to thank everyone again for keeping my memory of Winnie alive. I will pass this site on to my mother and sister......they will be able to add much more detailed stories.

Kyrila Scully

Kyrila Scully

Welcome to the site, Dorreen. I hope you will stick around and learn more about the other passengers and crew. We have indeed kept up with all the survivors of Titanic - some of us since the 50's and 60's when "A Night to Remember" was released in theaters and television. Winnie is a favorite for her willingness to meet with those of us interested in Titanic at THS conventions, etc. and answer all our questions.

Kyrila

M

Mauro Zungri

Dear Dorreen A. Benoit very welcome to this wonderful site.
My name is Mauro and is of Argentina (South America) and hopes that in this site encuntres many of the answers that you look for. A passenger of my country was Edgardo Andrews and according to account history arrived to make friends very good during the passage.
Very welcome again.

T

Thomas G Herwer

Hello,
It was interesting reading Mr Baumgartner and Ms Benoit recollection of Edwina Troutt. I first knew winnie in 1955 when my Aunt Genevieve Corrigan Herwer father James Corrigan married Edwina in that same year. Even though the marriage last only two years (James passed away in 1957) Winnie stayed in touch with my Aunt until Winnie passed away in 1984. I remember Winnie would think nothing of driving 450 miles in her Pinto from Hermosa Beach to Los Altos to vist her nice (Ms Dukat). I also recall Winnies story about her Lindbergh ring. It was May 21 1927 Charles Lindbergh had flown from New York to Paris, this was quite a occassion for the time and winnie's first husband Alfred Petersen when out and bought Winnie a diamond ring and she called it her lindbergh ring from then on. I remember in 1963 when Winnie married her third husband James MacKenzie Sr. and at that time Winnie was 79 and James was 74. The last time I saw Edwina was at her 100 birthday party and it was a large turn out. When I walked in the door of Clark's stadium the first person I recognized was an old teacher from Narbonne High school it made me wonder what Miss Alice Sturdy was doing there. Come to find out Miss Sturdy and Winnie were long time friends. I don't think I met Mr Baumgartner family at the party, but we were all there for the same reason. Edwina was a great Lady and I mean Lady.
Thomas Herwer
Port Townsend, WA

Kyrila Scully

Kyrila Scully

Ironically I was at an estate sale the other day and picked up this People Magazine with a cover story about Paul and Linda McCartney from April, 1975. Behind the article about the McCartneys was an article about Edwina Troutt McKenzie! I was so excited! Only paid $5.00 for the issue.

Kyrila

T

Thomas G Herwer

Hello again,
There has been several inquires as to how many times Edwina Troutt has been married. This is what I have:
(1)Alfred Throvald Petersen B. 1879
M. 1 Oct 1919
D. 1944

(2)James Corrigan B. 5 Nov. 1878
M. 23 July 1955
D. 25 May 1957

(3)James Morrell MacKenzie B. 13 April 1889
m. 30 Nov. 1963
D. Aug 1967
There were no children from the three marriages. The closest living relative on Edwina side was a niece. Winifred Dukat who lived in Los Altos, CA
and she passed away at age 86 in Oct 2000. I hope this information helps.
Tom Herwer

A

Arne Mjåland

There was an obituary about Edwina in Times, Hermosa Beach Dec. 4 1984. According to the obituary, she died of kidney and respiratory failure in a South Bay hospital. It was also mentioned that she crossed the Atlantic two dozen times, by ship and then by plane. Just a week before her death she told Don Lynch in the Titanic Historical Society about being limited by not having a car. It was also mentioned that she was survived by a niece from the San Jose area and a nephew in Florida. None of her several husbands were mentioned. She was indeed a remarkable survivor. There is certainly more information about her to be found.
I have read in another place that Edwina had communucated a lot with the railway engineer Milling from Denmark who lost his life on the Titanic.

C

cindy christian

Thanks for all the information, my mom just recently gave me a copy of my family tree and I was researching Edwina Celia "Winnie" Troutt and came upon this site. Edwina was my great grandmothers sister, I didn't know much about her until now, she sounded like such a lovely fun loving lady, wish i would of know her!

M

Mauro Zungri

Welcome on board cindy: From Argentina the greeting and I request excuses to him by my English. I am to its availability by any doubt.

E

Ellen Jacobson

I am the grandniece of Edwina Troutt and would be happy to answer any questions. I knew her fairly well and wear the 2 carat diamond she was given by her first husband, Alfred. She led a very interesting life. ellen

M

Mauro Zungri

I am Mauro Zungri of Argentina and between the lives that always I am interested of the Titanic this the one of Mrs. Troutt. I would like to know if she sometimes I speak of the Edgardo Andrews from Argentinean or my uncle James Vivian Drew.
Sorry my English

E

Edwina Trout

Hello everyone. My name is Edwina Trout and I am so glad to have found this forum. My grandfather told me about the Titanic when I was a small child and I have always been interested in the ship and crew. In the 1970s I read an article written by Edwina Troutt and wrote to her. She responded and I have kept her letters. Winnie was the nickname my parents gave me as well. When I visited the Titanic exhibit in Kansas City, one of the staff found and gave me her name on my "boarding pass".