Effect of Economic Downturn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Russo

Apr 10, 2006
With the downturn in the world economy, is there any word yet on downsizing or bankruptcies of cruise lines? Any predictions on what ships will be sold off or retired?

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Several of the smaller lines have gone under and there are some of the divisions of NCL which have been in trouble for some time now. Cruise Critic is a good source to watch since they tend to find out about somebody going under almost as soon as it happens. Keep an eye on the news stories I post in the New Age Of Passenger Liners thread since I call attention to it as soon as I find out about it.

Joe Russo

Apr 10, 2006
This was posted by Carnival today.

Carnival Corporation & plc Statement on Reinstatement of Fuel Supplements
quote:

At the time we suspended fuel supplements we reserved the right to reinstate them if the price of light sweet crude oil, according to the NYMEX, should increase above $70 per barrel. While we have now exceeded that threshold, in light of the economic crisis and resulting consumer weakness, we presently have no plans to institute a fuel supplement. We will continue to monitor the situation in the markets and review our position as the situation warrants.

Updated: 06/10/09

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Don't be too terribly surprised if Carnival's restraint evaporates if the price of oil keeps trending up more then it goes down. The present rise may not hold up if the present optimism takes a dive, but sooner or later, there will be a real recovery.

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
From Cruise Critic:

Will Cruise Line Fuel Surcharges Return?
quote:

Remember way back in 2008, when cruise lines made passengers foot the bill for skyrocketing fuel costs? After months of cheaper gas -- and surcharge-free cruising -- the price per barrel has crept up to nearly $72, a new high for 2009, and oil's recent ascension has the Cruise Critic message boards all abuzz.

Today, the message for concerned cruisers is that there is no intention to reinstate surcharges -- at least for now.
More at http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=3262

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
From MSNBC:

Attack of the monster cruise ships
quote:

Hey cruisers! Are you bored with bingo? Had enough of art auctions and pain-inducing performances of “Eye of the Tiger”? Not to worry. Over the next few months, the cruise industry will roll out some of the most innovative ships to hit the high seas since the RMS Olympic set sail in 1911 with a swimming pool and Turkish bath.
More at http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32544025/ns/travel-rob_lovitt_columns/

Comment: I guess when they going gets tough, they just builds them bigger anyways!​

Status
Not open for further replies.