Electricity During Sinking

Incony

Incony

Bill, in this photo looking from aft to fwd, one can see, the cross beam - port to starboard ( left to right ) that the provisions/ room end wall sits on above it.. if there was a platform above that beam centre point, and you know that the centre turbine prop shaft is below that beam.. then any ladder from such a platform to the generator walkways in view, or the passage floor.. would be visible... it would block the view of the stairs to the generator room we can see, with the man standing beside genny 4. ok we cannot see to that beams centre point above the centre of the turbine shaft.. but we can see the edge of the turbine shaft supports , which any platform above, would reach. were it there.

Attachments

• generatorportside.jpg
    generatorportside.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 54
Incony

Incony

And Bill, if we look down the other side... aft to fwd.. we can see the passageway beside the turbine shaft and nearly to its central point, Above we can see the beam supporting the provisions wall above the shaft.. and just behind the nearest light in view... At the end of the passageway we can see stairs up to the shaft maintenance platform... any stairs down from a platform attached to the provisions room beam centre would be visible in this image, they would block the passage view... they are not there. there are no stairs in this image between gennys 1 and 2, from above the turbine shaft down.. Bill you have a "map" i have this image... what do you see? ladders down or across ? point them out to me..

Attachments

• generator2folks.jpg
    generator2folks.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 51
B

Bill West

In post #554 your blue box is 2 feet inward from the dotted line that shows the platform outline and its curved corners. The drawings are showing the platform clearly while the photos are completely dark in the applicable area. In both pictures the platform would be entirely in the shadows beyond the provision room cross beam while the ladders from the engines to the equalizer platform are in the shadows between the 1st and 2nd of 4 handrail posts along the engine cylinders. While the pictures are too dark to confirm the platform they are not denying it either.

Bill

Incony

Incony

ok. Bill, the drawing is from something called " diagram 122" a hand annotated unscaled drawing of the first 16 feet to the electrical control room height.. , i used that diagram when i began working out the scale and positioning of things... my scaled drawings are a composite of several sources - a long time ago now.. it actually doesnt compare well with the photographs, and no, its not all dark up there, we can see the control room lights above the 16 foot level on the port side photograph... and on the starboard side we can see above the generator 1 walkway ... its not all black.. My problem with diagram 122 is its source, where did it come from... i dont dispute it... but i am not sure of its origin.. I doubt things i cannot source with contributory and supporting evidence, you say Bill, just because i cant see things , doesnt mean they were not there, , its a point of conjecture isnt it... but you cannot say a thing was there, or was not there, unless you can trace its supporting evidence as true as it possibly can be... ? so where does diagram 122 come from? and why doesnt it support the photographs, in the stair positioning it shows...? i.e if there were steps down to the 63 foot walkway, or even the generator walkways, why are they missing on diagram 122... ? and of concern why doesnt diagram 122 show the steps we can see from hull floor to control room? , That dotted line curved space in diagram 122, is as big as the generator steam engines - for what? the equaliser.. ? ha... yup ok.. go there show me.

B

Bill West

My reference to your blue box was to the left drawing in your post #554, the one that came from The Electrician.

Incony

Incony

Bill, ok. Diagram 122, that shows the dotted outline, comes from here - Fig. 122: Arrangement of Electric Engine Room (Schematic). The Shipbuilder (Midsummer 1911) p. 109. GGA Image ID # 10dcf7f38c and viewable still. Titanic Images - The Shipbuilder - 7: Electrical Equipment Of question are the dotted line segments within it, ( two squares and an X where the turbine shaft joint is... ... Be sure of your scale Bill, before you decide what those two dotted squares are supposed to be.. on that dotted surround.. my own foot scale says the main dotted " frame" is 11 feet wide - port to starboard with a centre line along the turbine shaft ( 5ft 6 inches port and starboard ) that " frame is according to my scale, 7 ft 6 inches, possibly 8 feet, depending on the provisions wall thickness.. long,, from the provisions wall, toward the control room the squares shown port and starboard within the frame, are according to my scale, 3ft square max, the x mark is therefore given my accuracy is to the nearest foot.. 5 ft x 3ft. and it may be the support for the turbine shaft joint... ive posted my scaled drawing before in this post..but i can post it again if there is doubt..

Attachments

• shipbuilder diagram 122.jpg
    shipbuilder diagram 122.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Incony

Incony

OK. lets be sure, given that we know the source now, is from 1911,, etc.. i scaled the plans, to nearest foot, given that we know the room heights and lengths etc... its not hard to make a 1 ft square accurate map... and it says to climb 8 ft on a 9 inch long step x 2ft wide minimum by 1 foot riser.. needs 8 x 9 inches which is 6 ft... it is possible to halve that distance, and make it 4.5 inches and make the riser smaller say 10 inches and overlap each step say an inch.. one would need 10 steps to climb 96 inches.. at 3.5 inches each step that still means a step base of 3 ft. ie the step ladder starts 3 ft away from where its climbing to.. IF you try and do that, on this scaled map, and then look at the photo`s we have, one appreciates we should see any steps between the generators and we can, but not where the frame is thought to be.

Attachments

• ft scaled dottted frame.jpg
    ft scaled dottted frame.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 51
B

Bill West

The keel frames in fig.122 are 3' spacing. The elevation view then scales the ladder to the equalizer platform as 5' tall. The end view scales it with about a 3-4' deep tread (or just a rung) and a 6-9" lean. The thinness and lean is why it can disappear in the shadow between the 1st and 2nd engine catwalk railing posts in the pictures.

Bill

Reactions: FreddyV1975 and Seumas
M

MarkHutchins

There is a very realistic scene in the "Night to Remember" movie in the 1950's where electricians are struggling to keep the main circuits closed on that huge panel as they snap open with "whangs" from shorted out distribution sub-panels