Elevators fore & aft

L

Lawrence P. Cappe

Has anyone ever seen a photograph of the Titanic`s elevator cages? I`ve only seen one 'illustration' but it lacked detail. I know there location fore and aft and have seen their lifting mechanisms on the boat deck but no specs or photography from either Titanic nor Olympic.
Further where are the lift boys bios in the crew manifest? They were all young, sixteen or so and all lost. Appreciate any wisdom you might impart.
Larry.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
I don't know if any photos were ever taken of the Titanic's lifts. If they were, they're either in private hands or are no longer extant. Some photos exist of the Olympic's lift machinary.

The bios of the Titanic's Victualling Department, to which the lift stewards would have been assigned, can be found HERE.

Individual bios on the 1st Class lift stewards can be found HERE, HERE, and HERE.

The 2cnd Class lift steward can be found HERE.

Mar 3, 1998
Photographs of Titanic's -- well, Olympic's -- elevators were converted to 3D for the "Ghosts of the Abyss" movie. They have an entire page devoted to them, with both "then" and "now" comparison shots, in the companion book. The photos come from Ken Marschall's collection.

Yes, even in a British ship like Titanic, the conveyance for passengers was called an "elevator"...the term "lift" was used to describe the conveyances for victualling items and cargo. One of the photos in the GotA book shows the "B Deck Elevator" lighted sign, both then and now.

Parks

Reactions: 1 user
Mar 3, 1998
Addendum to my last:

<font color="#000066">the term "lift" was used to describe the conveyances for victualling items and cargo

"Hoist" was also used.

Parks

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
There's a photo of one of the stores lifts in The Shipbuilder Vol VI of 1911. It's online somewhere. I fancy it's really one on Olympic

B

Brian Hawley

Here is a photo from a pre war magazine that shows a view of Olympic's elevators at the D deck level. I don't know about others here at ET but I have not seen this view before. The article mentions that Messrs. R. Waygood & Co. built the lifts on Olympic, Adriatic, Laurentic, and Megantic. The article goes on to mention that the cabs are each capable of holding 9 people. I lament the new lower size limitation for images here at ET. Otherwise I could have posted this image nearly double its current size.

Brian
53330.jpg

L

Lawrence P. Cappe

Thank you, Brian Hawley, for that great photographic view of the 1st Class elevators on Olympic Class ships. The wrought iron and carved woods` detail work is magnificent!
The cage`s interior decor appears to conform to 1st class passenger corridors. Is that true?

Thank again, Larry

Dec 7, 2000
Brian,

I did end up getting that magazine, and all thanks to your heads up! The elevator cab interiors have an Empire theme happening and it is not the same as the 1st class corridors. According to other info, the lifts could fit 9 people and the 10th being the operator. Actually I assume the 10th is the operator as I have seen another source state that the lift could carry 10 people.

Daniel.

Reactions: 1 user
B

Brian Hawley

If these elevators are like many small older lifts I have been in here in NC, I suspect 10 folks would be very crowded.

Glad you got this magazine Daniel it needed to go to a good home. When you get a chance get back to me about what images I should order.

Brian

L

Lawrence P. Cappe

I`m still having trouble placing these beautiful creatures (the elevators) on board Titanic. I`m told they were forward of the magnificent staircase on A Deck. Where did they open onto the reception area on D Deck?

S

Scott R. Andrews

Lawrence,

The elevator shafts continue down in the same position and open into a vestibule which was located forward of the staircase; essentially, they are "around the corner", so to speak, from the foot of the staircase. Follow this link to the ET deckplan for D deck:

https://www.encyclopedia-titanica.org/deckplans/deckplan_d.shtml

While this deck plan has no markings for some reason, the elevator shafts are easily spotted. Look for the three little square "rooms" located against and immediately forward of the staircase in the 1st class Reception Room.

Regards,

Scott Andrews

Nov 9, 2002
Hey All,
Wow, what a great picture from the Olympic, never saw it. Well I just wanted to say that in a picture of either the Titanic or Olympic's Grand Staircase, I believe to have seen one of those electric hanging location lights saying Elevator in a book. It was cut off some though but I always thought it was a neat find.

Sahand

sam mcmillan

Dec 4, 2007
Because the elevator doors and wrought iron what would you see looking into a shaft when there was no elevator there would in be metal or wood?