Elevators (lifts) on the Titanic

Mar 18, 2008
Germany
There are dozens, perhaps even over one hundred, hotels, pubs, cafes, restaurants, club rooms, meeting rooms and private homes with claims to tables, chairs, shelves, windows and panelling that supposedly "was meant to be on the Titanic". 99% of such claims are complete and utter rubbish.

Belfast has also a lot of those items.
From a friend I hear that meanwhile this has become common for tools which was used to build Titanic...

Mike Spooner

Sep 21, 2017
You could well be right what Geoffrey Wheeler had to say. But it the old story if don't ask the question you will never know!

Seumas

Mar 25, 2019
Glasgow, Scotland
Belfast has also a lot of those items.
From a friend I hear that meanwhile this has become common for tools which was used to build Titanic...
Very irritating for people who actually do posses their Great-Grandfathers tools that were used to build the Olympic class monsters.

On a lighter note, I do recall from a number of years ago catching a clip of the BBC's "Antiques Roadshow".

A woman brought a couple of plates along "that were supposed to be delivered to the Titanic but never were". Ok then ...

The appraiser remarked that they were nice to look at and in good condition.

The only problem was they had the Cunard flag on them and the manufacturers mark on the back was from the late 1940s. :D

Well I laughed anyway !

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

JJAstorII

Mar 14, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
the mail room hoist had the machine room at the bottom floor , there is nothing unique about this as "bottom drive " lifts are quite common.
There were four lift attendants on the Titanic and all perished and only three of their bodys were recovered interestingly is when looking at the vid of the elevator foyer in David Cameron exploration the ropes of one of the passenger lifts can clearly be seen indicating the car was on a lower deck when the ship sank , one wonders were any one trapped in the lift.View attachment 75858
I can't quite remember "who" I was told did it, but I remember hearing James C. explaining he expected the cars to all be at the bottom floor when he was doing his exploration of the reception area; because I guess when it was sinking, either one of the attendants, or someone else, called all the elevators to the bottom to prevent usage during the sinking. UNLIKE Lusitania where people did indeed get stuck in the elevators as she went down. Shame is if we could just wipe off the reader in the reception lobby we could know for sure!

Seumas

Mar 25, 2019
Glasgow, Scotland
I can't quite remember "who" I was told did it, but I remember hearing James C. explaining he expected the cars to all be at the bottom floor when he was doing his exploration of the reception area; because I guess when it was sinking, either one of the attendants, or someone else, called all the elevators to the bottom to prevent usage during the sinking. UNLIKE Lusitania where people did indeed get stuck in the elevators as she went down. Shame is if we could just wipe off the reader in the reception lobby we could know for sure!
That's a myth.

There's an old thread on the Lusitania sub forum here on ET debunking that particular one.

JJAstorII

Mar 14, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Very irritating for people who actually do posses their Great-Grandfathers tools that were used to build the Olympic class monsters.

On a lighter note, I do recall from a number of years ago catching a clip of the BBC's "Antiques Roadshow".

A woman brought a couple of plates along "that were supposed to be delivered to the Titanic but never were". Ok then ...

The appraiser remarked that they were nice to look at and in good condition.

The only problem was they had the Cunard flag on them and the manufacturers mark on the back was from the late 1940s. :D

Well I laughed anyway !
Though I 100% agree with you, I will play the Devil's Advocate and say there are a FEW pieces of China that are authentically Titanic but not from the wreck. I have one of these. It was bought at auction years ago (and vetted) but turns out there were some of the lunch china that either 1) was stolen and taken off at Cherbourg or 2) was made and in storage until her return journey that never happened. Also, one more thing I know is that during her Sea Trials the Spode Lancaster cups were given out as a special souvenir to the top dogs of H & W in a lovely little box. I think my friends over at the WhiteStarMemories/British Titanic Society actually have one of these.

Seumas

Mar 25, 2019
Glasgow, Scotland
Though I 100% agree with you, I will play the Devil's Advocate and say there are a FEW pieces of China that are authentically Titanic but not from the wreck. I have one of these. It was bought at auction years ago (and vetted) but turns out there were some of the lunch china that either 1) was stolen and taken off at Cherbourg or 2) was made and in storage until her return journey that never happened. Also, one more thing I know is that during her Sea Trials the Spode Lancaster cups were given out as a special souvenir to the top dogs of H & W in a lovely little box. I think my friends over at the WhiteStarMemories/British Titanic Society actually have one of these.
Have you had the china verified by more than one trusted authority (such as "Cobwebs" in Southampton) on Titanic ephemera ?

As Ioannis correctly alluded to above, fake stuff "that was supposed to be on the Titanic" is actually really common in the antique market.

JJAstorII

Mar 14, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Have you had the china verified by more than one trusted authority (such as "Cobwebs" in Southampton) on Titanic ephemera ?

As Ioannis correctly alluded to above, fake stuff "that was supposed to be on the Titanic" is actually really common in the antique market.
Heya! Yes the China plate has been authenticated by very reputable sources before I purchased it at auction. But like I mentioned I completely agree with that statement of how antiques "that should've been on the boat" are fraudulently put on market. In fact, I see even MORE fakes with Olympic stuff especially coming out of the UK, but those are on Ebay and stuff which you always have to be careful... Buy from reputable sources with cemented provenances. I have a few trusted dealers I know, and all of them are attached to the societies.

Seumas

Mar 25, 2019
Glasgow, Scotland
Heya! Yes the China plate has been authenticated by very reputable sources before I purchased it at auction. But like I mentioned I completely agree with that statement of how antiques "that should've been on the boat" are fraudulently put on market. In fact, I see even MORE fakes with Olympic stuff especially coming out of the UK, but those are on Ebay and stuff which you always have to be careful... Buy from reputable sources with cemented provenances. I have a few trusted dealers I know, and all of them are attached to the societies.

Cool !

I won't ever get burned buying some fake Titanic stuff ........ because I don't have the money :D

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Nov 14, 2005
Such provinence is extremely dubious.

The lifts for the Titanic's first class and second class are there in black and white on the final approved deck plans and we know that they were all installed and running. There was simply no need to make any more.

Silly stories of "this was made for the Titanic you know, but they never installed it" are actually quite common. There are loads from years back archived on this forum.

There are dozens, perhaps even over one hundred, hotels, pubs, cafes, restaurants, club rooms, meeting rooms and private homes with claims to tables, chairs, shelves, windows and panelling that supposedly "was meant to be on the Titanic". 99% of such claims are complete and utter rubbish.

There are H&W experts alive today who can confirm whether something a) was made in their workshops and b) when it was made.
Yes agree with that. A lot like the amount of people that claimed to be on or missed the ship at the last minute...ect. Or relatives on the Titanic. Some are true but the vast majority were just family stories that were made up.

Reactions: 1 users