Elizabeth Anne Wilkinson (aka Mrs. Harry Faunthorpe)

Gavin Bell

Dec 12, 1999
Anybody out there know what became of Elizabeth Anne Wilkinson "Faunthorpe" after the disaster?? Please contact me.

Thanks

Cameron

J

Jeremy Watson

This is a very hard question so bare with me. Elizabeth Anne Wilkinson was said to have been married to a guy named Faunthorpe. Come to find out she was his misstress. After the disaster she went to live with her cousin in Brooklyn. Then I heard that she was married to another man. That supposedly was her real last name. If anyone could shed some light on this I would appreciate it very much.

-titanic1912

Phillip Gowan

Apr 10, 2001
Jeremy,
Wilkinson was Lizzie's married name. She didn't stay in New York though--returning to England where she later married again and died there.

Regards,
Phil

Dec 6, 2000
Hi Phil,

The question of Elizabeth's married name is of interest to me. In her biography on this web-site it is said that her father was WH Wilkinson. Is that information correct? Because if Elizabeth's maiden name was Wilkinson, then unless she married some one of the same name then I do not understand how Wilkinson can have been her married name.

You say that after she returned to England she later married again. Was this after the death of her first husband? The reason I ask this is because.
The American Red Cross Report contains the following: - [While the passenger is not named [none are] all agree that it refers to Elizabeth]
Case No 138: (English) The beneficiary in this case was travelling with a man, who was lost, and claimed to be his wife. After the disaster she went to the home of her cousin in Pennsylvania ................... it was later learned that she had a husband in England. He agreed to receive her back, and after she recovered her health she returned to him. ...

Is that information correct?

Regards,
Lester

Phillip Gowan

Apr 10, 2001
Lester,
You seem to have it all correct. I've not been able to track the first husband (actually I haven't tried)--I suspect there was a divorce. She doesn't fit the mold of the loving, loyal housewife :). He may have been willing to take her back but probably regretted that decision--

My best,
Phil

Dec 6, 2000
Hi Phil,

Thank you for that. So we are back to square one, whereby we simply do not know what Elizabeth's married name was when she sailed as Mrs Faunthorpe.

As a point of interest who was her 2nd husband? Thanks again.

Regards,
Lester

Apr 3, 2006
Does anyone know when Lizzie died?

An article in the Philadelphia Inquirer gives her name as Elizabeth Ann Fox Wilkinson.

I found a marriage between an Eliza Ann Fox and a Samuel Wilkinson. Her age at the time of her marriage seems very close to that of Lizzie Wilkinson (Faunthorpe).

mary frances

Jun 16, 2014
I have just been read a postcard a friend has. It is from Harry Faunthorpe to Ms. Wilkinson three weeks after the Titanic went down. Shall have to post a more thorough description of this.

mary frances

Jun 16, 2014
not sure if this was signed "Harry" or who the Wilkinson is he sent it to?
it is postmarked May 2 ,1912

IMAG0385.jpg
IMAG0384_BURST002.jpg

IMAG0384_BURST002.jpg

IMAG0385.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

mary frances

Jun 16, 2014
Regarding Elizabeths marriage or non-marriage to Faunthorpe, I ran across the official papers online that authorized her as able to file for monies from the White Star line regarding the loss of Faunthorpe. Don't know English law, but wouldn't she have had to be married to him in order to be able to receive compensation for his death?

mary frances

Jun 16, 2014
No problem. I'll work on retracing my steps as I found the papers last week online thru a simple search which anyone can do. When I find them again I wil post a link.

In addition, newspapers around the world published the clip below which refers to Elizabeth as his wife.

A TITANIC SUIT

Toronto Daily Star

Wednesday 28th August 1912

Widow of Man Drowned Last April Wants $10,000

Canadian Press Dispatch

Philadephia, Aug. 28 -- Mrs. Elizabeth Faunthorpe, widow of a Titanic victim, and herself a survivor, has sued the White Star Company for $10,000 in the Federal Court, for the loss of her husband.

Mr. Faunthorpe's body was recovered at sea and more than $1,000 worth of jewelry was taken from his clothing.

p.s. As an aside, found the story below on the website Lost Cousins from the newsletter of 2/26/12:

Titanic stories
In the last newsletter I asked whether any members had family links with the Titanic, since the centenary of the disaster is fast approaching. Mary in the US directed me to Encyclopedia Titanica, a site that collects information about all of the passengers and crew who were aboard that fateful April night.

Dave in Canada related an interesting tale about his 2nd cousin twice removed Harry Bartram Faunthorpe, who travelled with his wife Lizzie - or rather, he travelled with Elizabeth Anne Wilkinson, who he passed off as his wife. Whether they were planning to marry isn't known, but it seems that after the disaster she reverted to her maiden name, though not before claiming the money and jewellery that was found about Harry's person when his body was recovered. Dave tells me that she also attempted to sue the White Star Line, owners of the Titanic for $10,000 as compensation for the loss of her husband - though nobody seems to know whether the suit was successful. I wonder whether she stayed in the USA (she had an aunt in Philadelphia) or returned to Manchester, where her family lived?

mary frances

Jun 16, 2014
the papers are digitized on the novascotia.ca website at the link shown below. They are issued by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania in the County of PA. They show many signatures from a judge on down. They are described as "exemplified copies of letters of administration of the estate of Harry Faunthorpe" naming Lizzie Faunthorpe as Executrix.

Nova Scotia Archives - RMS Titanic - Titanic Fatality Reports

Hope this clarifies things for you MAD.

Mark Baber

Dec 29, 2000
Thanks for the link, mary frances. Very interesting.
Hope this clarifies things for you MAD.
1. I'm not mad, just questioning. 2. None of those documents establishes that Ms. Wilkinson was married to Faunthorpe, just that she claimed to be.

mary frances

Jun 16, 2014
Oh my lord, i meant to say MAB which is your signature on the bottom. Heavens, I would hope you wouldn't be mad.

No, it isn't a marriage certificate but as I said before, I would hope that a judge and the state of PA would have some system of documentation before declaring someone essentially Next of Kin.

jtdecoff1027

Mar 7, 2020
This may sound weird; however, a while ago I had a past life regression done and I got the name Anna Wilkinson. I had done a report on the Titanic in high school and the movie had just come out so when I received the fact that I was in the disaster but lived I was not impressed. I thought the info came from my subconscious; however, the passenger list in the small book that I used as reference for my high school report did not have her name. They released a new updated passenger list in a anniversary series hard cover book, and the name was in there; however, mis-represented as Anna Wilkinson. It stated that her name changed while on board. Then I search off the cuff roughly 22 years later and I see that her name did change as she was trying America's favorite past time of law-suiting her way to high society... So it would seem. I know for sure that I was her; however, I am unsure of how miserable she was whence her lie was uncovered and she was forced to return to someone she did not want to be with and grew apart from.. Even if was due to a worldwide catastrophe the like we would not see again until 911.

Anybody out there know what became of Elizabeth Anne Wilkinson "Faunthorpe" after the disaster?? Please contact me.

Thanks

Cameron

Jun 5, 2020
This may all be a coincidence, but I almost have the same name as Elizabeth (Mine is Elisabeth Anne), she was on life boat 16, (my favorite number has been 16 since I've learned how to count) I was also obsessed with the Titanic since 1st grade, and only Titanic no other famous sunken ship, and she married a guy named Samuel (My bestfriend's name is Samuel) So it may all be coincidental, and it's a long stretch, but maybe I was Elizabeth in my past life.