Elizabeth Cutler

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

elizabeth cutler

Hi everyone i am new to this message board business even new to computers. Now my claim to fame is that i am the niece of Robert Hichens quartermaster at wheel when the ship struck the ice. I have learnt many things about the past from this site .I have found a grand daughter of Robert Hichens living in Southampton i think that makes her my 2nd. cousin. Her mother was the daughter of Robert Hichens. My father was the brother of Robert Hichens. Wondering if there is any descendents of other crew members out there. ELIZABETH CUTLER (nee Hichens}

Mar 10, 1998
Hi Elizabeth,
I'll answer your e-mail to me privately. Thanks for getting in touch. I've done extensive research on Robert Hichens over the past 18 months and am in contact with most of his descendants. The granddaughter you mentioned in Southampton is a delightful lady and we enjoyed meeting her and her family at last year's British Titanic Convention in Southampton. All the Hichens children are dead (though no one is sure what became of the oldest daughter)--but there are 10 grandchildren living and one daughter-in-law still survives. Through contact with most of the descendants, I've put together a fairly good mosaic of Robert's later life and even located a couple of good later life photos of him and one of his wife. I'm in the process to writing an article on him which I hope the Atlantic Daily Bulletin will see fit to print next year. Good to be in touch with you.

Regards,
Phillip Gowan

E

elizabeth cutler

Hi Colleen, i'm so excited, thank you so much for the welcome,it's amazing how quickly the response has been, i've already had a reply from Phillip, and i just can't wait for further information, the photo i recieved from my 2nd cousin of uncle Robert, was so teary for me, he looks so much like my dad. I never ever met him, and only these recent times have I discovered anything about him, and thats only because we stumbled on this site. I now realise I have so many cousins i've never met, it's just wonderful to me, thank you. We as a family migrated to Australia from Cornwall in 1950, actually it's 51 years 1st Dec. My dad, (Roberts brother)skippered his own boat, The GOODWILL PZ12 at Newlyn. There were 4 other brothers, and i think they were all involved with boats and fishing, one brother Sid was on the Goodwill with dad. Wow i am getting carried away, i'd better sign off, and save news for next time, So till then, bye for now, thank you again. God Bless, regards Elizabeth. P.S. if you read this Phillip, i had a letter from Brenda in Southampton, and she told me what a lovely person you are.

George Behe

Dec 11, 1999
Hi, Elizabeth!

Welcome to the ET board -- I'm sure you'll enjoy yourself here. :)

As for Phil Gowan, you couldn't have found a better (or nicer) person to help you research your family history. I hope you and Phil will be able to supply each other with further details about the background of the Hichens family.

All my best,

George

Inger Sheil

Feb 9, 1999
G'day Elizabeth, and welcome to the board. You're an Australian? I'm a Sydneysider, so am all in favour of more antipodeans at ET ;-)

Your uncle has provided fodder for some fascinating threads of investigation and speculation in this forum and, thanks largely to the work by Phil Gowan and Brian Meister, participants on the board have been able to move somewhat away from the canonical interpretation of the man. I know I've had some of my own assumptions and preconceptions about him challenged by new material.

I'm interested in all the crew, although I've only done fairly elementary work on your uncle - accessing his RNR records and collecting a few newspaper accounts for example. One interesting and sympathetic interview with him in 1912 had an excellent description of how he visited the family of a friend and shipmate who went down with the Titanic. Hichens wanted to tell the man's loved ones about when he had last seen him, not too long before going on that final watch.

~ Inger

E

elizabeth cutler

Thank you Inger and George, this is so lovely being welcomed so generously, it's quite overwhelming, but greatly appreciated. What suburb Inger? i'm an ex Sydney sider myself, now on the mid north coast.Where are you George? It's now 11.45pm and guess i go to bed.it's been 8 hours here on this computer. Good night. thank you. Elizabeth..

Inger Sheil

Feb 9, 1999
I'm living in the UK at the moment, but hail from Newport Beach (not far from Palm Beach) on the Peninsula. There are some top Titanic folk in Oz - in Sydney, there's Andrew Rogers and Daniel Klistorner who would probably love to meet up and talk Titanic with you if you get down to Sydney again anytime soon, and we also boast Dave Gittens and Fiona among the population down there (and quite a few others whom I've probably insulted by not mentioning...).

Charmaine Sia

Nov 25, 2001
Welcome here Elizabeth, I've seen you around in a few threads. Hope you'll find this place as informative as I have!

Regards,
Charmaine

E

elizabeth cutler

the only threading I know is to thread the sewing needle, excuse my ignorance i,m new to this game,WHAT IS A THREAD?? Thank you Elizabeth

E

elizabeth cutler

If you are there in april Inger may catch up with you. Now we are friends my friends call me LIZ.ELIZABETH.

Jason D. Tiller

Aug 20, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Hi Elizabeth,

Welcome aboard! This is the best Titanic site on the web, and their are a lot of friendly people here who are willing to help.

A thread is a certain topic that is in one of the folders. It's good to hear from you and I look forward to your posts.

Best regards,

Jason
happy.gif

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
"Thread" is internet speak for a specific topic in a discussion folder. The Introduce Yourself folder is the place where people can post messages about themselves. A thread is a topic within the folder dealing with a specific subject.

Example, the Elizabeth Cutler thread which may be found in the Introduce Yourself folder.

Welcome aboard, Liz!

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

E

elizabeth cutler

Thank you Michael,i am sure if i stay on this board with all your help i will become an expert do you think thats possible here i am 67 yrs. young and never turned one of these darned things on till six weeks ago.thank you all.LIZ

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Liz, you're never too old to learn until your dead, and you ain't dead yet.
wink.gif
This site has a lot of articles and resources as well as links to more on the web. The Titanic Inquiry Project...which has the complete transcripts of both inquiries...can be accessed through a link on the index page and are an invaluable primary resourse.

Best of all, it's free! (You can buy printed copies from verious sorces, but as Dave Gittins has pointed out, they cost a bomb!)

You'll find a lot of noted and respected researchers and authors who hang out here as well. As Titanic resources on the web go, Encyclopedia Titanica is the best of all possible places to be. I've learned quite a bit since I came here.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Status
Not open for further replies.