Ellen Bird

Shelley Dziedzic

Shelley Dziedzic

After a little further investigation this week, it would seem Ellen's brother William, and his wife Margaret, (whom he called Maggie)worked for a clothier in New Bedford called "Wing's"- on Purchase Street for many years as a salesman. An amusing place to work if one's name is Bird! The company is gone now, torn down but for the old wrought-iron gate. The Birds must have done well for themselves as William had a home in town which is still standing, and also a summer place down on Clark's Point. If Ellen's husband worked in Boston in the hotels, it may be he stayed up there during the week and Ellen was a live-in domestic. I have yet to find a home for the two of them in New Bedford or Newport and it may be they stayed on the weekend with William at either of his houses. I guess Tuxedo Park is the next field trip!

T

Tracy Joy Yarid

Re: Ellen Bird Dear Shelley Dziedzic, I would like to thank you for the wonderful research you have done, and wonderful articles you have written. I would very much like you to contact me, as there is information which I would like to share with you, and I hope there is some more information you have on Ellen. Although my information, is very little, it is a very interesting story. My Bird family only knew of her existance, and thought she went down with the ship. They knew she was family, and a maid, but did not even know her name was Bird. I hope you will contact me, Sincerely Tracy.

M.A.S.

M.A.S.

3rd class
I read that before getting in a lifeboat, Ellen was kindly given Ida's fur coat. :) I had been praying that fur coats would be given out to other passengers in need. (Not that I could change the past, but since I've been told that God hears all our prayers in His Present Moment, outside of Time as we know it. So, if that's true, God could've applied my recent prayers all the way back then). To find out it happened --at least that once-- warms my heart. I'm glad to think that Ellen would be less chilly, and I bet she thought of the Straus's selfless, bittersweet story every time she wore that coat, if it was salvageable after the whole lifeboat experience. Rest in Peace, Ellen Bird Beattie.

Jason D. Tiller

Jason D. Tiller

Staff member
Moderator's hat on:

Please leave religion out of the forum; it has no place here and can lead to a lot of nasty debates, which we would prefer to avoid.

Thank you.

Moderator's hat off

Reactions: Mark Baber