Ellen ObDwyer any relatives here

Oct 26, 2006
Hello all,

I have been tracing my family tree for a year now, and have only just received information about my Irish ancestors. My grandfather Timothy O'Dwyer was born in Emly, Co. Tipperary in 1911.

I have since been in touch via email with his sister's granddaughter.

She contacted me this morning with news, that Ellen "Nellie" O'Dwyer belonged to our branch of the family, but I cannot find a connection at present. I was hoping that there may be other relatives on this site who could fill in the blanks for me?

Regards

Julia Tompsett (nee Dwyer)

[Moderator's notes: 1. This thread, originally posted in another topic has been moved to here. 2. The title has been revised to better reflect what is being discussed. JDT]

Maria Marsh

Jul 23, 2004
Hiya Julia,
I learned 22 years ago that Nellie O'Dwyer was my Auntie. This came about due to visiting an Titanic Exhibition in Liverpool. I have since from time to time been finding out other little snippet's about her, through family, friend's and this site. My biggest break through was joining ET as this took me on my greatest journey of discovery. I am more than happy to chat about Auntie Nellie. As for the connection you have with the family I am not at all sure but am willing to try and help. My connection is paternal. My Dad's Mum was related to Nellie but we are not exactly sure how as my Nanna's maiden name was O'Dwyer (married name Heffernan) and one of Nanna's cousins was also an O'Dwyer. If that makes any sense.
Hope to chat again. Take care. Maria Marsh (Nee: Heffernan)

J

Julia Ryan

Hello to both of you.

Julia,(Funnily enough, my name is Julia too!)-- what is your grandfather, Timothy's sister's granddaughter's name? I might know her.
(Funnily enough, my name is Julia too!)

This is my story of how I'm related to Nellie-
Nellie is my great-grandmother on my father's side of the family. My grandpa, Thomas, is one of two children she had (twin boys) with Dennis Ryan, her husband. She had the twins in 1915, but died in 1917 during childbirth with a third child.
Actually, my grandpa never even told anyone in his family (except for his wife, my grandma) that his mother, Nellie, survived the Titanic, until the movie, "Titanic", came out. Sadly, my grandpa died in February 1998, a few months after the movie came out.

Maria, my connection to Nellie is paternal, too, because Nellie is my father's father's mother. Maybe we're long lost cousins...?

I love to find out new information about Nellie, my most interesting ancestor, and I hope to chat with both of you again.

Sincerely, Julia

Maria Marsh

Jul 23, 2004
Hiya Julia, Fancy you both being called Julia. We were led to believe Auntie Nellie never had children. So you are truely a huge surprise. I have known about Auntie Nellie since I was 18 yrs old (22yrs ago) I am so very pleased to hear from you. Yes maybe we are long lost cousins. Where are you? I live in a little town called Mold in North Wales. My e-mail address is [email protected] I would love to be able to chat a lot more about Nellie if you are interested please let me know.