Ellen Toomey

C

Colleen Toomey

Recently I discovered that there was a woman by the name of Miss Ellen Toomey on board the Titanic. I am very interested in finding out if she is a relative of mine, since my family name is Toomey. I was wondering if anyone could give me some direction as to where I should begin looking for information on her. Thank you for your help.

Colleen Toomey
Reading, PA

M

Mary Butler

Does anyone have any information on Ellen Toomey?

Mary Toomey Butler

Phillip Gowan

Apr 10, 2001
Mary,
Ellen Toomey continued on to Indianapolis and remained there the rest of her life, dying in 1933. She never married. She had one sister in Indianapolis who was a nun and another who married and had a family. She has a 101 year old niece and a 95 year old nephew still living in Indianapolis and a bunch of great-nieces and nephews.

M

Morgan Henn

Cam. I'm doing a reaserch paper on Miss Ellen Mary Toomey. She died on Dec. 23 1933. She is buried in the Holy Croos Cemetary. If you want to know more. E-mail me!
Morgan :)

S

Stephen Toomey

Can any person help me with finding a place I can contact in Indianapolis, Indiana. There was a Miss Ellen Toomey rescued from the Titanic, she was traveling to the above place. I think by all reports that I have obtianed that she must have been a NUN. Because she spoke of going to mass every day, also the names of three preists.

Phillip Gowan

Apr 10, 2001
Hi Stephen,
Ellen Toomey was never a nun. After her experience on the Titanic, she was shaken physically and emotionally to the point that she sequestered herself in a convent with The Little Sisters of the Poor where she remained the rest of her life and is buried on a cemetery plot normally reserved for nuns. She never married but left a sister, Catherine (Mrs. Michael Delaney) who has living descendants still in Indianapolis--including a 102 year old granddaughter and a 97 year old grandson.

Regards,
Phillip Gowan

P

Pat toomey

can anyone tell me how to find information on Ellen Toomeys family history? I am researching my Toomey ancestors and Ellen is a common name amongst them, I would love to find out more about her. thank you

Phillip Gowan

Apr 10, 2001
Pat,
Ellen Toomey was born in 1864 in County Cork, Ireland, daughter of John Toomey and Mary Brandon. She had two sisters living in Indianapolis including Catherine, Mrs. Michael Delaney. Ellen went back to visit her mother and other relatives in Ireland in November of 1911 and was returning to Indianapolis on the Titanic when the disaster occurred. She continued on to Indianapolis but was so disturbed over her experience that she sequestered herself in a convent and stayed the rest of her life, though she did not become a nun. When she died she was being cared for by the "Little Sisters of the Poor" and was buried in their plot.

Catherine and Michael Delaney had a number of children. One of their granddaughters just died about a year ago and was well past 100 and so far as I know there is still a nephew of Ellen Toomey living in Indianapolis who will be 100 next year. And of course there are lots of great-nephews and nieces.

As I mentioned earlier this morning on the thread about Ellen Shine, there is good biographical information on Ellen in "The Irish Aboard Titanic" by Senan Molony which you should be able to order from one or more on-line bookstores.

Regards,
Phil Gowan

S

Stephen Toomey

Dear Philip Gowen
I still have all your report to me from the year 2001,that were on the massage board.
They changed the name of the place where Miss Ellen Toomey, was buried,it is now called ST, Augestines in Indianapilis. I otained all this from a Great Grand neice, Debbie Matthews, plus a write up from THE Indianapolis, Star, dated April 25, 1912.
Debbie, has Miss Ellen Toomey, dying at the age of 72, and buried like you siad in a Plot of The Sisters of the Poor. I will leave it at this but it throws her Birth-day out of wack;
Debbie sent me about three pages from a Microflim.
Take Care and GOD BLESS
Sincerely
Stephen Toomey

Phillip Gowan

Apr 10, 2001
Thanks Stephen! I have three different birthdates for her and haven't proven which is correct. Out of curiosity, when I was in touch with members of the Delaney family a few years ago, Ellen had a very elderly niece and nephew still living. Do you know if they are still alive?

Regards,
Phillip

May 8, 2001
Stephen. Isn't Indiana genealogy FUN?!?! (sarcasm there!) Do you have many ancestors located in the Indianapolis area, and if so, how long were they entrenched there? (Mine, about 100 years worth.)
Phil, I understand your frustration regarding Indianaoplis. I believe St Augustine is on my list of stops to locate elusive Collier family members, when I get back to Marion County. If you don't beat me to it, I will keep out a watch for Titanic people as well.