Embarkation List of Chinese and a Mr. Ford

Manchild

Aug 6, 2018
Shanghai
Dear Respected Researchers,

Posted below is the embarkation list of alien passengers embarking from Southampton, but this list only includes Chinese passengers and a man surnamed Ford, who is traveling as 44 people.

I'm trying to figure out a few things regarding this list. Any feedback would be much appreciated.

1. First off, who is this But (sp?) Ford character? Why is he traveling as 44 people? Does anyone know of other passengers who had so many people under their name? Why is his name on a short list with only Chinese passengers?

2. Is there more to this list? Is this just the last page of this list? Is this all there is to the list because there is a list for each country?

3. I understand this next question might be a little esoteric, but on the left side of the list it shows the ticket #1601, and all the Chinese passengers boarded under this ticket number. It appears the common understanding is that the Donald Steamline bought this ticket #1601. I'm looking for evidence that confirms or denies that Donald Steamline bought this ticket.

I know lots of really specific questions here. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Happy researching,

P

Chinese List.jpeg

Manchild

Aug 6, 2018
Shanghai
Hi there, I think I just answered a couple of my own questions. I did find the rest of that passenger list through findmypast and the British National Archives. The list is organized by alien and non-alien passengers, and then into subcategories based on 1st, 2nd and 3rd class. Furthermore, "Brit (Bret) Ford" actually just means "brought forward", which is written at the end of each page. Mr. Ford is not a person. Whoops.

So, really the mostly relevant question of my last post is #3, but feedback on any of the questions would be great.