Empress of Britain photos

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
From the Photo Dealers Associated photo contest "rejects" collection. The Empress of Britain, July 27 1932, as photographed by Mrs. E. Fox, of 611 Montague Street, Eccleshall Sheffield. Title: The Lady in White. Second of several from the collection.
77820.jpg

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
THE EMPRESS LEAVING SOUTHAMPTON, another rejected entry- this one by Mr. C. Brudemill of 72 Baker Street, Weybridge
77858.jpg

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
The photos I've posted on this and the other threads must have been from
the "considered but not chosen" lot. They were all carefully mounted in an album, along with many (in fact, mostly) non-nautical travel themed photos.

Aug 31, 2004
My grandfather, Captain Ronald Niel Stuart VC, became Commander of the Empress of Britain in 1934. This is a picture from a family scrap book. I have other pictures if anyone is interested.

91206.jpg

Liz Stuart

Aug 31, 2004
Dear Chris,

Here is another photo. Will try and look more out from the family archive but this may take a couple of weeks.

Liz Stuart
91268.jpg

G

Gavin Murphy

Hi Liz,

Are you familiar with the Canadian booked simply entitled Empress of Britain by Gordon Turner? I reviewed it for a Cdn. history magazine about 15 years ago.........lots of good pics, etc.

Also there is Robert Seamer's book entitled (I think) Burning Inferno about its tragic loss. This book was published in UK about 15 years ago too.

I hope this helps!

G

Eric Longo

Aug 13, 2004
Hello,

there is a lovely paperback book here by Clive Harvey that is just loaded with good illustrations and information on this vessel "Empress of Britain - and in a very well presented volume too. I was sent an early copy when Tempus was just changing formats to the nicer look they have now with better quality illustrations and matte covers. This is a very handsome book with a great cover design as well - made a good impression.

Best,
Eric Longo

Grant Carman

Jun 19, 2006
I'm updating this thread to find out if anyone knows if this book is still in print, and if so, can it be ordered on line.

Eric Longo

Aug 13, 2004
Dear Grant,

I forgot - I am sorry - despite numerous and repeated attempts to correct the problem, I don't get PM's from this site. Goodness knows what I have missed all these years. I have tried to have this fixed, as well as have my user ID corrected to Mauretania19061936, for years - but no one ever does anything about it. Please write me directly at [email protected]

Best,
Eric