Empress of Ireland Passenger List

Eric Sauder

Nov 12, 2000
Hey, Geoff!

I'll go have a quick look. But if it's anything like your Lusitania lists, I know it will be spectacular!

Eric

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
Thanks to you and Craig for your generosity in sharing your work, Geoff! It's a much needed addition to the field of EoI studies.

Dec 17, 2006
I am looking for a list of children who survived the tragedy of Empress of Ireland or a list of families with children who were traveling.

Nov 22, 2000
Children who survived the sinking of the Empress of Ireland:

Josephine Helen O'Hara - born 16 December 1903
Florence Barbour - aged 8
Grace Hanagan - aged 7
Arvo Markkula - aged14

A full passenger list can be found on the Musee de la Mer (Rimouski) Website.

Geoff.

Dec 6, 2000
Hello Geoff,

I see a Charles Lindsay Claude Bowes-Lyon among the saved passengers. Any relation of the late Queen Mum?

Nov 22, 2000
Hello Lester,

Yes, there was a relationship of a kind - although probably so distant that they had never even met! They were a very large Scottish family.
The Bowes-Lyon luck ran out some five months later when Charles became a victim of World War One on 23rd October 1914.

Geoff

Feb 24, 2004
Hi, all!

I thought perhaps you'd enjoy reading this Empress-related article. Forgive me if I picked the wrong thread to post it. William Harbeck was, of course, a Titanic casualty.

Roy

MOTOGRAPHY, May 1911, p. 103:

Motion Pictures Cure Seasickness

W. H. Harbeck, of Seattle, official motion picture photographer of the Canadian Pacific railway, returned yesterday from Europe, where he took several thousand feet of views for the company, to be used on its theaterette cars.

On the voyage across the Atlantic on the steamer Empress of Ireland some rough weather was encountered, and a number of the first and second cabin passengers succumbed to the motion of the vessel. To draw their minds from their troubles, Mr. Harbeck put on a set of motion pictures of Canadian Pacific scenery in the salons, and while watching the peaceful scenes in the Canadian Rockies, at Seattle and Vancouver, the ailing passengers, Mr. Harbeck declares, forgot their seasickness and when the show closed had recovered their usual composure. "I believe this is the first time a motion picture show was ever put on for a deep-sea audience," he declared, "and I cordially recommend the method as a sure cure for sea-sickness."

carole thomas

Aug 3, 2006
My great uncle, Leonard Palmer, and his wife were passengers on the EoI and were fatalities. Family scuttlebut says there was a newspaper article about them which detailed Leonard going down with the ship and his wife, who was in a lifeboat, jumped in and died with him when she saw the boat going down. Does anyone know of this article please? My grandmother (Leonard's sister) only died four years ago and left me some mementoes from the ship (i.e. letters sent by him to his mother) and I am trying to research more about the tragedy.

Mike Poirier

Dec 31, 2004
You may want to contact Geoff Whitfield who is a member of this board. His profile is a few messages above.
Mike

carole thomas

Aug 3, 2006
Michael - thanks for Geoff Whitfield's name to contact.

Geoff - thanks for your message - am sending e-mail to you today to discuss further.

carole thomas

Aug 3, 2006
Thanks to Geoff Whtfield, who has given me so much information on the Palmers and the Empress of Ireland disaster. I don't know what I would have been able to accomplish in this research without his knowledge and generosity in sharing that knowledge. Thanks Geoff.

Brian Ahern

Dec 19, 2002
I see last year there was a discussion on Charles Bowes-Lyon and how closely he was related to the Queen Mum (nee Lady Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon). I finally got around to tracing this, and it turns out they were very closely related. Their fathers were brothers and only a year apart in age. They had a common grandfather in the 14th Earl of Strathmore (Charles B-L's other grandfather was also an earl).

Brian Ahern

Dec 19, 2002
Actually - correction: their common grandfather was the 13th Earl. The 14th Earl was the Queen Mum's father.

Charles Bowes-Lyon's other grandfather was the Earl of Balcarres.

Apr 3, 2006
Does anyone know what Merton Darling, the Grahams, and Joseph Cox-Edwards did that had them living/traveling from such foreign places such as China, Hong Kong, and Japan. Mr. and Mrs. Graham must have been frequent travelers because they were married in Japan.

Nov 22, 2000
Zach,

Walter Graham was a commission agent based in Hong Kong. They had lived there for several years.
Merton Darling and Joseph Cox-Edwards were both simply on business trips.

Geoff