Empress Officer Inquiry by Descendant

Jul 1, 2005
I am the grand nephew of Charles Alwyn Moore, 3rd Officer of the Empress, who perished. I am trying to find out any further information about him, his service, etc. He was only 25, so he did not have a family of his own. He was born in England in 1889, probably Rotherham, but I am somewhat at a loss as to how to find out more. Any information or ideas are welcome.

Jul 1, 2005
Mike, No I haven't. Does it include info on particular crew and passengers other than the obvious, like the captain? Bob

Mike Poirier

Dec 31, 2004
Hi Bob
The book is fairly large and covers a wide spectrum of passengers and crew. Dave corresponded with quite a few family members in preparation for the book. If you send me your email, I'll pass it on to Dave and hopefully he has something on your relative.
Best
Mike

Jul 1, 2005
Mike, I apologize for not responding earlier; been on holiday. Am interested in corresponding with Mr. Zeni. If possible, would prefer to correspond thru this chatroom. Reluctant to put my e-mail address on this board for all to see.
Regards, Bob

Paul Rogers

Nov 30, 2000
West Sussex, UK
Bob,

If you wish, you can send a Private Message to Mike. Just click on his name in the above post, and then click the Private Message hyperlink at the bottom of the Profile.

Jul 1, 2005
Many thanks to Mike for putting me in touch with David Zeni, author of Forgotten Empress, which is the penultimate study of the tragedy. He was very accommodative and pointed me to several avenues of inquiry regarding background and officer information. By the way, his book has a photo of the memorial marking the burial place on the bank of the St. Lawrence where 20 named and 68 other victims are buried. I now know where my Great-Uncle (C.A. Moore, 3rd Officer) is buried.

Chris Hope

Feb 22, 2008
My grandfather's sister Maud Mary McGachen (nee Nicholson) and her children Gladys, Alice Mary Marjorie and an infant were drowned in the Empress of Ireland tragedy. I wonder if anyone knows any more about them? Maud was married in her home town of York and later moved to London with her husband, but I am not sure when she went to Canada. I am presuming that she was living there with her family, but cannot find any record of this, or of the birth of infant McGachen. Does anyone know where she and her daughters were buried or what became of her husband Howard Archibald McGachen who was not on board with them? (He had spent time living in Canada as a child.)

Nov 11, 2005
Well, to date, no one has been able to find out the infant's name or sex, but it is under the assumption through researchers that the infant was a girl under 6 months.
Also, the surname is recorded through all records as being spelt McGatchen.

I don't have my papers with me, but i do have some information on the family if you would like to e-mail me privately, my e-mail address is

pikku-suomalainen@hotmail.com.

I would be glad to help.