Empty Cabins and Missing Passengers

R

Ray Burhop

Perhaps my grandfathers experience with the Titanic may shed some light on why some cabins were unoccupied on its first voyage. My Grandfather, Arthur Cunningham, was a cabinet maker and worked on the Titanic at Belfast. Work was not completed at time of qualification trial and intitial sailing to Southhampton. He and other workers remained on board to finish work. At Southampton work was still not complete and he and others were asked to stay on board on first trip to New York to finish work. Arthur Cunningham did not take up on the offer as he did not want to leave his family back in Belfast. He either got off at Southampton or Queenstown. As a cabinetmaker he would have been involved in finishing work on the ship. It appears the request for him to stay on board may explain why some rooms were not occuppied.

G

George Pastarmatzis

Hi all! Has anyone else thought that the Titanic would travel with much fewer passengers had it not been for the coal strike and the transfer of many of them there from other liners? Any more info? Thanks!

Michael H. Standart

Michael H. Standart

George, IMO, the Titanic would have probably traveled with more passengers were it not for the coal strike, if only because traffic would have been at normal seasonal levels rather then lows caused by shortage of anything that could get underway.

If the ships can't move, the tourists can't get "over there" and if they're not doing that, there won't be a lot of tourists to go home.

M

Michael Ridge

Were there any empty cabins on C and A Deck? If so, were they next to anyone's occupied cabin?

Mike

K

Kristjan Peterson

Yes I think there was empty cabins but I am not sure

Kristjan Peterson

[Moderator's Note: This message and the one immediately above it have been moved from a new, separate thread to this pre-existing one. MAB]

Michael H. Standart

Michael H. Standart

>>Yes I think there was empty cabins but I am not sure<<

I'm not quite sure what you mean by that. First you ask if there were empty cabins, then you state that you *think* there were empty cabins...let me help you out on that one: There were plenty of empty cabins. The Titanic was considerably undersold in terms of her actual capacity by at least a third so plenty of cabins were never occupied.