Enclosed "A" deck promenade

Wesley Burton

Apr 22, 2004
I think the Olympics open promenade looked better. I didnt like the enclosed premenade on B-deck though. A-deck made Olympic look like a yacht.

I found the big davits on Britannic ugly. I know they saved deckspace on the ship, but Olympic looked far better even though it had less space.

Nov 9, 2002
Hey Everyone,

MILES YOU STOLE MY QUESTION! lol I was gonna ask thats same thing but I always forgot to get to it....personally I think Olympics deck was nicer...it made the ship look so much longer.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>How dare you disagree with what I said about Olympic’s appearance ! I demand a written apology now !!!<<

Would you settle for the gentlmanly art of dueling? Nuclear weapons at 10 paces!
evil.gif

>>But the paint on the white parts of the Titanic looked a bit murky when compared to Olympic. But I think most people will probably prefer the enclosed deck space.<<

Seriously, I'm not surprised. Freshly completed doesn't mean that the paint is going to look that way. The Titanic had been in the yards for close to a year fitting out and even with a fresh coating applied in drydock, there's plenty of time for it to start to look a bit ragged around the edges. The transit from Belfast to Southampton wouldn't have helped. A day or two of seaspray and you would be amazed at how much rust can appear. I've seen it often enough myself.

>>Actually just out of interest do you have a favourite ship — or just ships in general…Where do your particular interests lie ? You’re knowledgeable about wrecks I thought!<<

I'm a retired sailor and a maritime aficianado with a particular interest in Titanic and forensics issues surrounding that ship. I had quite a bit of training in shipboard damage control which tends to give me something of a leg up over those who don't have such training. However, there are several people here who know way more about it then I do, and I've learned quite a bit from them. Some of what I've learned translates very well into understanding other shipwrecks as well.

Jeremy Lee

Jun 12, 2003
>>I think the screens gave Titanic a more sleeker look but I still like Olympic's arrangment as well. I pretty much like them both.<<

No matter how, its still better than the modern 'floating apartment' cruise ships of today.
grin.gif

G

Guest (R17)

The Titanic was a beautiful ship ! I'm just asking what people prefer. I can well understand someone saying the Aquitania was the most beautiful ship - although really she was a bit more old fashioned looking with all those ventilators and clutter on her decks. Olympic was more modern with her simplicity. Ahead of her time ! But looking at other white star liner from the 10 or so years before her - Olympic sometimes just looks like a bigger version of these ships - with an extra 2 funnels.

But although both Titanic and Olympic were more or less the same - for me the open P.deck on A deck and the bold arrangement of windows below made quite a difference. But the little baboon brain is not understanding this - because they were almost identical ?

May 1, 2004
Pacifique du Nord
I prefer Titanic's enclosed forward A Deck Promenade. However, the passengers in the cabins looking out onto the enclosed promenade might'nt have been so pleased.

That said, on Olympic, B Deck's outside cabins looked onto an enclosed promenade.

Nigel Bryant

Aug 1, 2010
Wellington, New Zealand
Hi Jonathan,

I guess that was the another attraction, by extending the suites out to the sides on Titanic,it gave the most deluxe suites a view of the sea, whiile on the Olympic these luxurious suites were blocked by the enclosed deck.

Nigel

Steve Olguin

Mar 31, 2005
I wonder what Britannic would have looked like if they would have enclosed the entire A deck promenade deck? Hmmm.... another "what if?"...

I prefer Titanic's design, as it gave her a more sleeker look over Olympic. Although I think in the long run, it proved to be a good choice not to inclose the forward A deck on Olympic, considering the cluttered state of the boat deck after April 1912.

I can only imagine what the interior of the forward A deck promenade on Britannic would have look like with its enlarged screen windows....

May 1, 2010
I'm not exactly an old tar, but the enclosed promenade actually had a purpose beyond asthetics. At least I think so. The spray from the North Atlantic under certain blustery conditions could reach the promenade deck, dousing passengers. Didn't Andrews and Ismay come up that 11th hour decision for that reason. I have also heard that the Lusitania and the Mauretania were notorious for spraying the promenade deck and dousing the passengers, as the North Atlantic could be pretty rough sometimes. Oh yeah, and I think that it looks better.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
I don't know how "11th hour" the decision was, but I've seen photos of the Titanic taken in early February 1912 where the Ismay Screen was not present. My bet is that the final decision was made a few months prior to that. As this would have been a reletively simple modification, there wouldn't have been an awful lot of lead time needed for that.

Ben Lemmon

Oct 9, 2009
I think that I heard in a documentary that the reason the Titanic had a partially enclosed promenade was because on Olympic's maiden voyage, Thomas Andrews saw that the completely open promenade caused a vibration. I think it was because of a lack of support. That was why they put the Verandah Cafe in there. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I am pretty sure I heard something similar to this.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>I think it was because of a lack of support.<<

I seriously doubt that. The enclosure was not any sort of load bearing or strength type of structure so it would have little real effect on vibration. There was, however, something of an issue with sea spray getting up there and getting people wet, and that was the chief complaint. Hence, the justification for the "Ismay Screen" up on A-deck.

One of the reasons the B-deck promanade was enclosed was because a large portion of it was no longer a promanade, but space given over to extra cabins.

Nigel Bryant

Aug 1, 2010
Wellington, New Zealand
In terms of exterior design, I think both Titanic and Olympic were beautiful.I like them both. Titanic had more of a modern appearance with her partial enclosed promenade while Olympic had a more traditional design with her open promenade. They both were well balanced and beautiful liners.

Nigel

TitanicNerd

Jan 18, 2014
A Deck Promenade

I know the "Promenade Deck" was for first class passengers only, but how could you access it? And a door on it leads to the promenade on the forward bow, where the cabins were, was their a sign that said "Officers Only" where the staircase was that lead up to the officer promenade deck?

TimTurner

Dec 11, 2012
The boat deck (the topmost deck) was divided into sections. The forward most section was the Officer's promenade, the second section was the First Class promenade, there's a small section over the reciprocating engine room which was the Engineer's promenade, and after that was the second class promenade. When loading the life boats, the gates in the fences would have been opened to allow all passengers access to all boats. Third class passengers could get up to the boat deck via a staircase which ran down to E deck or thereabouts, just centerline of Scotland Road. These sections were separated by fences with gates in them. I believe the staircase your are talking about had a "Crew Only" sign. Low-ranking crew had to be able to go to the bridge in order to report to the officers.