Enclosed "A" deck promenade

Nov 5, 2015
The A-deck Ismay screen

Hello

I would like to bring back up the discussion on the distinctive screen on forward part of A deck and why it was there.

The general story usual goes that Ismay heard passengers complain about wheather on A deck and that he then ordered the enclosement of it but I do think some related matters needs to be pointed out to expand this story.

Early drawings and paintings of the Olympic class ships showed two fully open promenade decks, i.e. both A and B deck. At the time, the idea of glassed in promenade decks was upcoming and subsequently the final designs of the ships sported an almost fully enclosed B deck promenade.

During the Olympics early voyages, Andrews (and Ismay?) noted that the B deck promenade wasn't very much used by passengers and that the space could be used for more and larger 1st class cabins. This idea was fully incorporated into the Titanic after her launch, during summer of 1911.

However, and here is my point, due to the fact that the enclosed promade space (on B deck) was actually removed from Titanic, they needed to give passengers that service somewhere else and hence, the forward promenade on A deck was enclosed.

If the "windiness" of the A deck promenade had been a big problem, then the Olympic should have got it enclosed as well sooner or later. But she didn't need one since she always had an enclosed promenade like it on her B deck.

What do you think?

CollinSearls

Aug 20, 2018
Trying to look for the answer to the original question. The link Nigel first posted isn’t working. Was the enclosed part of the Promenade/A-Deck simply steel window frames fitted into the original beams of the forward open promenade windows?