Engine Scenes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Bates

Aug 16, 2002
Were the engines real or c.g.? And how meny things did thay get wrong i can name 3.

no#1 when bell? is lowering the steam pressure if you look at the gauges and the small pipes they are soderd witch wasin't around in 1912.

No#2 why would there be pipes on the deck when the only pipes that big are the main steam pipes witch were overhead.

No#3 when the murdoc? rang full ahead, in the engine room for a few secends you can see a prop shaft in the back round why would this be in the forward part of the forward engine room it would be in the turbine engine room

And was the reversing seen right? i thought the engines had to stop before you reversed them?

Mar 3, 1998
Tom,

The engine room was done in miniature, the actors on a greenscreen set, and some views were shot in an engine room of a WW2-era ship. Some liberties were deliberately taken in order to provide a wide-angle view of the room; otherwise, the uninitiated wouldn't have gotten a sense of the space.

The engines did not have to be stopped in order to engage the reversing gear. None of what was shown concerning the reversing of engines is supported by eyewitness testimony...it is all conjecture.

Parks

M

Michael Re Grey

If someone had noticed in the movie the engines stopped for a few seconeds and then reversed.

Jun 8, 2003
What eye witness testimonyb can they get, as all those engine workes went down with the ship? sorry if im being thick here.
happy.gif

Kyrila Scully

Apr 15, 2001
South Florida
Maria, there are still reciprocating engines in existence as well as shipbuilders reports and engineering blueprints. They were not designed exclusively for Titanic. In fact, they were used on Olympic until she was scrapped.

Kyrila

S

Susan L. Romanyuk

Some of the engine room scenes were filmed aboard the Jeremiah O'Brien, a WWII Liberty ship that is home ported in San Francisco. I took the Memorial Day Cruise on the O'Brien in 1993 and we sailed for 8 hours. I went down in the engine room aboard the O'Brien and the engines looked a lot like the Titanic's except smaller. In 1996 they took her out on a bay cruise and did the filming there. If you are ever in the Bay Area and want to see engines and engine room that looks a lot like the Titanic, stop on in to see the Jeremiah O'Brien, or any WWII Liberty ship.

Jun 8, 2003
I still think it really did display the true beauty of the inner works of the ship. In that scene (take her to sea mr murdoch), what with the music and fantastic engine scenes, you really get a sense of the whole power and granduer of the ship...or is that just me?

Hilary Popple

May 28, 2003
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
I agree Maria - that's the best scene of all! Like many descendants of people on Titanic I have mixed feelings about the film but I have to say that this particular scene sends shivers down my spine every time I see it, particularly as my great-grandfather would have been down in those engine rooms. For me, it's incredibly sad but awe-inspiring at the same time.

Pat Winship

May 14, 1999
If I recall correctly, a member of this board whom we have not seen in a long time, due to his academic commitments, was in the Jeremiah O'Brien's engine room when her engines were filmed. Ilya McVey, we miss you!

Pat W.

Status
Not open for further replies.