1. Welcome to Encyclopedia Titanica
    or subscribe for unlimited access to ET! You can also login with , or !
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site with our social media, advertising and analytics partners who may combine it with other information you’ve provided to them or they’ve collected from your use of their services. More information
    Dismiss Notice

Engine Specifications as per the "engineering notebook"

Discussion in 'Engine Room Engines & Propulsion Systems' started by A. Gabriel, Jun 13, 2018.

1. A. Gabriel

A. Gabriel Member

Greetings to all fellow enthusiasts of the RMS Titanic. I am a newcomer from the Philippines intrigued by the particulars surrounding this magnificent ship, specifically the numbers behind it. Specifications, blueprints, mechanisms, all the minutiae, these fascinate me (among other reasons, because I desire to craft a model of the ship when I have the means and the time).

Coming across the esteemed article by Mark Chirnside, I was immediately taken by the wealth of information suddenly available for not just the propellers of Titanic and Olympic, but their engine specs as well. Copied below are the numbers for the Olympic-class liners, lifted directly from the "engineering notebook" of said article.

Propellers (for 401)
    wing propellers: 23'6" diameter, 35' pitch, 120 sq.ft total area, 3 blades
    center propeller: 17'0" diameter, 14'6" pitch, 120 sq.ft total area, 3 blades

Engine Details
    "stm. pipe": 20 1/2 "
    piston rod: 14", LP cylinder 11 3/4 "
    piston rod screw: 11", LP cylinder 9 1/4 "
    ????? pin: 16 1/2 ", LP cylinder 13 1/2 "
    "crnk. pin": 27 3/4 "
    crank shaft: 27"
    guide(?) shoe: 4'-0 3/4" x 3'-9", LP cylinder 3'-7" x 2'10"
    reversing gear style: Brown

Assistance in deciphering the unclear headings in the original, as well as the terminology/meaning of said headings (I am not an engineer) is appreciated.

2. Mike Spooner

Mike Spooner Member

Hi A.Gabriel,
    If you want a good basic book on Titanic speciation I recommend a book. RMS TITANIC Owners Workshop Manual by Richard de Kerbrech and David Hutchings.
    Cylinders dia. LP 97in x two.: IP 84in :HP 54in. Stroke 75in.
    Cheers.

3. A. Gabriel

A. Gabriel Member

Cheers, Mr. Spooner. Lamentably being in the Philippines renders me fairly impeded in the ways of procuring said book til I find myself employment — though from the preview pages I have found online, there is even information there concerning the Parsons turbine of the Britannic, an excellent find indeed.

Edit: something perplexing, that book says that there were 6 stages of expansion in the Parsons turbine, but a photo of the rotor of the turbine seems to hint at only three, with no space to fit the missing rows of fixed blades. A little light on the matter would be appreciated.

I did make headway in determining that last garbled heading: the part I marked ????? was “CRHD.” in the notebook, which I have taken to stand for “crosshead”. The unknown heading is then apparently the specification for the crosshead pin for each piston/crank assembly, though not being an engineer I still wonder at the difference between the crosshead pin, the piston rod screw, and the crank pin.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018 at 3:35 PM
  4. Rancor

Rancor Member

5. A. Gabriel

A. Gabriel Member

Many thanks Rancor. This clears up matters considerably while I go on the hunt for more material and plans to seek out.