Engines working in opposite directions

Mike Spooner

Mike Spooner

I presume you mean engaging the astern gear when you say "about 2 seconds, Mike? Ringing the telegraph takes about 2 seconds. ;)
Yes you are right after the telegraph message from the bridge and reply back to bridge via telegraph to do so.

B

Bags

Ok, so secondary query...When Titanic engaged reverse, did that drive the middle screw backwards as well?

B

Bags

I was on the SS Sheildhall last Sunday down in the engine room and asked about the reversing. It takes about two second flat at 75rpm. OK the engines are considerably smaller than Titanic had. The steering gear as to Titanic design was quick to with two steam motors doing the work
I took a video of the working engines. The noise, heat with escaping steam in places was great stuff. But my video needs a bit of editing sort out before I show it.
Thanks for that, I look forward to seeing the video too!!

Jim Currie

Jim Currie

Ok, so secondary query...When Titanic engaged reverse, did that drive the middle screw backwards as well?
No, Bags, the center prop only ran ahead and was disengaged when the rpm fell below 50 so as th shi sowed down the center prop free-wheeled