Eric Sauder's Lusitania Books

Brent Holt

Jun 23, 2002
I am also quite pleased to see that a new book on the Lucy is coming out. I am assuming from the title that there will be much about her career, instead of a focus on her sinking. Her nearly 8 years of successful service is often overlooked because of the tragedy.

Brent

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>> I am assuming from the title that there will be much about her career<<

I would be greatly surprised if there wasn't. Eric Sauder is nothing if not thorough. His 64 page book was an excellant study on the subject. Since this one is going to have 144 pages, I expect we'll be seeing a lot more.

Inger Sheil

Feb 9, 1999
If what I've seen of the material he's working on is indicative, it's going to have a broader focus. Can't wait for it.

May 3, 2002
Wellington, New Zealand
You're fast on the ball.

I just checked one of the Amazon sites and they list it as released. phew!
I thought I might have jumped the gun as one site had the word October in its data.

"I'm sure it'll be worth the wait."
Of that, Michael, you can be certain.
His previous book was not large , less than 50 pages yet he packed so much within that that makes me wonder what will fill 144 pages. And I haven't even considered the photo/ art work that will be in it.

martin

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Frustrating to see that, but delays in the publishing world aren't a great unknown these days. Lots of new books and magazines out there and not quite enough printing outfits to do it with. This tends to create logjams in the publishing process.

Inger Sheil

Feb 9, 1999
Don't want to speak out of turn, but the delay wasn't caused by a log-jam at the publication end.

Eric is a perfectionist. Most others would have been happy to let the ms go to the publishers as it was to meet the original deadline, and it would have been a superb book. Eric, however, is working to very exacting self-imposed standards! This is what has caused the delay - he's not willing to compromise on the quality of his work. From what I can see, he has a very good relationship with Tempus, and they're content to let him do what he feels is necessary. I'm happy to wait for it, knowing that he's not rushing the process - it's going to be a tremendous book.

May 3, 2002
Wellington, New Zealand
Thanks Inger.

I wondered if he might have been behind it?
A friend of mine here wrote a book on A sea disaster here (Wahine sinking) and was set to publish when he came into possession of some jaw dropping color photos taken on the ship, The book was delayed on this count.
I guess I just want to see this book.
"They who are patient will prevail"

Martin

Inger Sheil

Feb 9, 1999
It's going to be worth the wait, Martin! I read the ms before Eric made his latest round of amendments, and it was already rivetting (obligatory pun!). Can't wait to see it all come together - text and images.

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
No, Martin. Neither Mike nor I have anything to do with Mr. Sauder or his work. We are, however, working on Lest We Forget Parts Two and Three, which will appear on ET later this summer in twenty five page increments, and the whole maritime section of the album will be "donated" to ET at that point. There are the Lusitania exterior shots, plus those taken aboard various Canadian Pacific and P&O Liners, and the Lusitania souvenier photos. Following the completion of the Lusitania project, there are several long articles about interesting but obscure wrecks in the works for which we are compiling photos and interviewing survivors. A few segments from that project are being donated to another good cause for 'hard' publication in 2006.

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
97656.jpg

Inger Sheil

Feb 9, 1999
Hallo again Martin -

As Jim indicates, the delay has nothing to do with collaboration issues (although Eric engages with many other researchers, this is pretty much a solo flight!). Earlier this year, Eric decided he wasn't satisfied certain elements of the ms - most of these were points of style. Most authors would have gone ahead anyway, but he decided to seek input from colleagues and rework portions of his text.

The emphasis in this work is the graphic/illustrative side of his research - the text is great, but the images and their captions are what make it outstanding. He has another work in progress where that emphasis will, in a sense, be reversed.

Looking forward to seeing more of your work being published here too, Jim!

May 3, 2002
Wellington, New Zealand
Thanks Inger
I look forward to seeing any works imminent from Jim, Michael and Eric just someone please tie me to the deck grate as I can't wait to read/see it.
happy.gif

All these years this ship has been limited to a few line in this history book or that and now since the early 90's we have seen a flood of material on her.
I sense some of the best is just around the corner.

My thanks to those who are able to do the primary research by virtue of geography.

from

Martin

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
Thanks, Martin and Inger. Speaking for Mike and myself, we both look forward to reading your respective works on the Wahine, and Titanic officers.

We also look forward to submitting more work here. The amount of new information which came (and continues to come) our way, via survivor and victim families who found our article, was both surprising and heartening. I can say, with complete confidence, that anyone who is working on some Titanic or liner-related project could find no better a place to 'preview' it than on ET- the amount of feedback one receives, frequently from those directly involved in the event and their kin, is amazing. The next installment will contain a section of amendments to the first article- the kin of one survivor offered a major (and appreciated) correction, and several other previously unknown (to us, anyway) facts regarding those profiled will be brought forth. When one submits an article here, it is instantly available to everyone in the world interested in one's topic (those with internet access, anyway) and the amount of help received can shave years of research off a project- we can vouch for that.

Thanks again for the kind words.