Esoteric Lusitania Question for the Experts

Daniel Stern

Aug 1, 2006
Hi all,

I am researching the Lusitania and have a question about a particular incident that occurred on June 24th, 1912. The Lusitania was making her way back to her home port on her usual run from New York to Queenstown when the crew detected signs of a serious problem with her center propeller. Captain Turner ordered that they reduce speed and, using her two remaining propellers, cautiously make the remainder of their journey back to port. She made Queenstown at 3:00 a.m. on the morning of the 25th, and as hoped, she was able to safely complete her voyage and offload her passengers, cargo and crew without incident.

My question is: anyone know what specific date she resumed her service after this incident?

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
Si. Checking out the table in Kent Layton's book~ a must have, BTW~ her next departure was July 6, 1912.

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
Daniel, one other thing: she had four propellers. You might want to re- examine your source from which you derived this information.

Daniel Stern

Aug 1, 2006
Hi Jim,

Thanks. BTW, the three-propeller reference is directly from the NY Times article that describes the incident. Good to see they check their stuff.
happy.gif
So, it would probably be more accurate to say "serious problem with one of her propellers".

The book you reference, is it "Lusitania: An Illustrated Biography of the Ship of Splendor"?

Thanks,

-Dan

Mar 27, 2004
New York State, United States
Dan,

Yes, that is the book to which Jim is [most kindly] referring.
happy.gif
It is available in both paperback (through retailers) and hardcover (through my site directly).

The June of 1912 incident (Crossing No. 141 West) was the start of a series of protracted difficulties that cropped up with the liner's turbines. A lot of information on these troubles are in my book. Hopefully you'll find what you're looking for in there. Take care!

Daniel Stern

Aug 1, 2006
I will indeed pick up your book...and thanks for the guidance regarding the date and the mechanical problems. Interestingly enough, another NY Times article (written not long after the one I referred to above) also mentions the Lusitania, with the operators making every effort to minimize the severity (and cost) of the turbine problems. I guess they were a bit optimistic!

Thanks,

-Dan

May 3, 2002
Wellington, New Zealand
That book is becoming the "Lusitania Bible" in the same way ANTR was for the Titanic until I saw Titanic :An Illustrated history.

If you don't have it and have more than a passing interest in the Lusitania then you really are missing something [IMHO]

Martin

Mar 27, 2004
New York State, United States
Martin,

I almost fell out of my chair when I read your post. Thank you for the distinguished comparison. To have one's work called a "Lusitania Bible" is high praise, indeed.

ANTR shaped my view of how a history book can be done in an engaging style to help history come to life, and it's always been my goal to achieve that same standard of readability without compromising historical facts, and while presenting new information to help deepen readers' knowledge of the subject. I just hope that I've managed to achieve that with my newer project, as well.

Thanks again, and take care, everyone!

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
I've worn my copy dog-eared these last few months. It's great to have all the reference material I need for the non-disaster details in one volume. So, yes, I second the "Bible" reference.

Jan 29, 2001
Daniel: I too have access to the N.Y. Times archives and found the article in reference to the center propellor. Also Oct. 10, 1912 the N.Y. Times reported...LUSITANIA TO MISS TRIP - Liner Sails for Liverpool and Will Be Overhauled There. "On arrival the ship will lay up for twleve days to undergo the annual overhaul and have a new port low pressure turbine shipped in place of the one that was disabled four trips ago".

ATTN: Quote is in part of a longer N.Y.T. column article.

Michael Cundiff
NV, USA