Estonia Disaster 10 years ago today

M

Mikael Jonsson

It's hard to believe that 10 years allready have passed. I was only 12 years old when Estonia sank, but I remember it like it was yesterday.

I think everybody knows where they were or what they were doing when they heard the news about the disaster.

It is hard to believe that such a huge disaster could happen in modern time. Estonia was never built for open sea when it was built in Germany, but this was forgotten after so many years in service.

852 people lost their lives in the disaster. The victims were mostly Swedish and Estonian people.
Only 137 people survived.

I have put up a memorypage for all the people who lost their lives:
http://www.titanicnorden.com/skepp/estonia.html

It is in Swedish, but please sign the guestbook and write a tribute to the victims. Many people who lost their relatives read this guestbook.

best regards, Mikael

A

Alex McLean

I'd just like to call everyone's attention to the significance of today. Ten years ago, the ferry Estonia went down with great loss of life in the country heading to Sweden. May we all remember the tragedy that occurred and the lives of those involved and those who have been touched by this modern shipping disaster.

Alexander McLean

H

Harriet Collingham

Rest In Peace those who perished. I hope those touched by it have rebuilt their lives as best they can.

Jason D. Tiller

Dec 3, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Hi Mikael,

I moved this thread into here, where it's more appropriate.

Hi Alex,

Since there is an existing thread on this subject (which I'm assuming you weren't aware of), I moved your post and also Hattie's into this thread.

Lest we forget this modern day disaster.

A

Alex McLean

Jason,
No, I didn't realise there was already a topic, sorry about that. I was brought to attention to the significance of today by an Estonian girl on exchange in Brussels, who, understandably, was finding today very difficult to cope with.
In such a small country such as Estonia, when disaster hits, everyone is effected, and I am sure it is and was the same you you, Mikael.
I just hope we never again let the mistakes that occured happen again.
My best,
Alex

M

Mikael Jonsson

Jason: Thank you for moving the thread. I was aware of that was a Estoniasection in the forum, but I couldn't find it since it was movied into "ferries".

Alex: It is time same in Sweden as in Estonia. More than 500 of the 852 victims were Swedish. Sweden has a population of 9 million so quite many was affected by the disaster. Maybe Estonia was even more affected since there only live 1 million people.

On my homepage I have a votepoll where You can answer to the question "Did you know anybody who died in the disaster or do you now anybody that was affected". 44% of 2600 people have answered YES. The disaster is still very much discussed in Media and now when it is 10 years ago Estonia has been everywhere in the news. There have been memorialservices everywhere and there have been lots of articles about the survivors and those who lost their relatives.

I hope something like this will never happen again. The ferries today have got better lifeboats than before, but if there is a storm like the one on the 28th of september 1994 it is hard to put them in the sea. The main cause why so many people lost their lives when Estonia sank was that it sank so fast.

Martin: There are many many books in Swedish so there must be at least a couple translated into English. Try google or look at amazon.com

I was trying to attach a photo of Estonia, but nothing happens when I press the "Upload Attachment" so I guess this function has been disabled.

best regards, Mikael

Jason D. Tiller

Dec 3, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
You're welcome, Mikael.

As far as I know the upload feature is working, but you may be having problems due to the site issues that have been going on. If it's not over 20KB, you should be able to upload the image.

rob scott

May 4, 2004
strange to have something not made for sea crossing the big wide Baltic (sea? Sea!) to Stockholm every day.
(?)
sad.gif

I don't know where I was because that news so far away never came to me, but I recently saw the site with all the findings, and some front ramp design together with some neglect for not securing and check-list checking of things can go a long ... way ... down.
I guess the big loss of life was from the stairway passages being designed for two people, not hundreds ...
a sad day,
and the water rushed in,
in the early 90s
when will we learn?

M

Mikael Jonsson

Estonia would never have sank if the french Bureau Veritas had been accurate with their investigaion. They investigated the ship one month before the disaster and approved it to go for open sea eventhough the front ramp was heavily damaged
sad.gif

Very sad that the Bureau Veritas didn't do any better investigation.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>strange to have something not made for sea crossing the big wide Baltic (sea? Sea!) to Stockholm every day.<<

Well, maybe not so strange. These ships are everything they need to be in order to do the job intended which is to ferry people and vehicles from one coastline to another in a reasonable amount of time. As it happens, the ships used for cross channel and for use in the Baltic are not only fairly sizable, they tend to be very seaworthy designs. Considering how downright vicious these waters can be...especially the English Channel...they have to be. For all that, they are just as vulnerable to the sort of carelessness and negligence that comes with human nature as Titanic was. When you get down to it, human fallibility is the common denominator in just about every accident that's ever happened.