ET articles published elsewhere

Status
Not open for further replies.

Senan Molony

Jun 28, 1998
Dublin
At least they are credited to their original authors - which just makes me angrier about the insidious plagiarists out there who tout barefacedly purloined material as their own.

Mark Baber

Jul 4, 2000
A site where material from ET and elsewhere is being passed off as other people's work is titanic.com; quite a few of the messages on that site's message board are lifted directly from ET, Great Ships, HMHS Britannic and other web sites without attribution. Several emails by me to the owner of that site have thus far resulted in only one article---Senan's J. Dawson article---being removed. Otherwise, the owner of that site has been unconcerned about the piracy and palming off going on on his board and has refused to remove any of the offending material.

Jun 12, 2004
Since they are copyrighted, they can't be ripped off. You have the legal advantage here. The question is: Do you want to press charges?

If it means anything: The fact that they absconded with so many from this site is evidence that the articles are of high quality, otherwise they wouldn't have bothered. In a way, even though I'd be angry, too, the writers - and this site - should feel flattered. However, I realize that that isn't the most important point.

What gets me is how certain people could have acquired the boldness to assume that they can take obviously copyrighted works and get away with it. Talk about arrogance!

Well, I wish you luck in your endeavors to rectify the situation, Phil. You have many supporters here behind you.

A

Allison Lane

You wouldn't have to persuade me to write anything for ET, at the very least--I still can't believe you accepted my paper in the first place.
happy.gif

What do you plan on doing?

-Allison L.

Dec 7, 2000
Phil,

It's interesting to note that none of the PDF formated articles are copied by that web site. Despite the problems that some people had with downloading the pdf articles, they really were the safer choice!

Daniel.

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>You have the legal advantage here. The question is: Do you want to press charges?<<

Like to...yes.

Unfortunately, I'm not swimming in the cash need to press a lawsuit. Worse yet, that's exactly what people like this count on. The internet is something of an untamed wilderness when it comes to that sort of thing. I wonder what else on that website was nicked from elsewhere?

>>Plan B. Involves some leather straps and a box of matches.<<

Ahhhhhh...."gentle" persuasion. I like that!
evil.gif

Oct 28, 2000
Notice to all-- I have sent the following message to the offending web site.

--------------

The web site http://www.titanic-nautical.com/titanic-contact.html of which you are webmaster has violated U.S. and international copyright law by publishing my copyright materials without permission and/or the payment of the required royalties. Writing is my way of earning a living, so what you have done is effectively theft of livlihood. This is a serious matter.

You are hereby notified to immediately cease publication of any and all of my copyright material by electronic means or any other method. "Immediately" means by 7:45 p.m. Eastern Standard Time (U.S.) February 10, 2005.

Second, I shall expect payment for your illegal and unauthorized use of my copyright material in the amount of $100 per day that it has been available on your web site. You will deliver to the e-mail address shown below a full accounting of: a.) the first date on which the material was posted; and 2.) the total number of days the material was available on your web site. I will then invoice you for the use of my material, with payment in full expected within 30 days.

If you do not remove all of my copyright material, I will take additional legal actions as necessary to protect my legal ownership of my intellectual property. As my copyright is properly filed, I am entitled punitive and compensatory damages in addition to compensation for any costs which I incur in enforcing my copyright.

Sincerely,
David G. Brown
"The Last Log Of The Titanic"

Philip Hind

Editor
Staff member
Sep 1, 1996
England
I do licence the deckplans and animation for free distribution as long as they are credited. So that isn't a problem. The articles definitely *are* a problem.

Dan Cherry

Dec 14, 1999
It would appear the aired concerns worked, as virtually none of the links mentioned above work anymore.

This is why I hesitate putting any of my written material on the internet, sadly.

Frank McElroy

Dec 31, 2003
Phil,
You did the Job, While all other links seem to be working This link "Titanic Articles" does not work any more.

Also the Deck plans are attributed to ET as well.

Titanic Deck Plans
Click on each Thumbnail to view.
© Encyclopedia Titanica (www.encyclopedia-titanica.org) 2003

Jul 7, 2002
Phil, Daniel has a good point: they didn't take any of the articles in pdf format (which have a copyright notice on them). I know converting the html articles would take time, but it might help you avoid this problem in the future.

As a college instructor I find plagiarism of any kind loathsome, even if it is a form of flattery.

I hope Phil and Dave have scared the crap out of these guys!

Cathy

Philip Hind

Editor
Staff member
Sep 1, 1996
England
We went over to PDFs in the first place because of this very problem but I changed the system back because the PDFs were so unpopular with readers. Many people stated that they didn't bother to read the articles because they were in that format.

Status
Not open for further replies.