ET Layout

Status
Not open for further replies.

Philip Hind

Editor
Staff member
Sep 1, 1996
England
Please report any bugs or problems with the new site layout. I'd also be happy to hear your comments and suggestions. I will be tackling the layout of the message board as well in due course but that is more tricky.

I hope the changes make the site a bit easier to use.

Hopefully also the biographies make a bit more sense with the database driven summaries and the static biographical text now combined.

Philip Hind

Editor
Staff member
Sep 1, 1996
England
Ha, well the overriding criticism I had before was that it was too cluttered!
happy.gif

Mark Baber

Jul 4, 2000
What? There's a web site associated with this message board?? I guess I'll have to take a look at it sometime.

;-)

Mike Poirier

Dec 12, 1999
Well, I am never one to fight change, but for some reason the main page looks cramped. Overall, I suppose it is for the best.

Jason D. Tiller

Aug 20, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
I agree with Mike, the main page does look a bit bare. Overall though, it looks great and so does the rest of the site, including the biographies.

Great job, Phil. ET just gets better and better!

J

Jeffrey Beaudry

I kind of miss the "recent message" thing. It helped me know if my post went through (then again, my computer isn't that good). Other than that, I like the new look. It looks more "clean."

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
I agree that the 'most recent messages' link should remain on the front page, as it's the first place that most of us want to go. But failing that, Jeff, you can get there by using the Discussions link and then, from the bottom of that page, the link to Last day

Philip Hind

Editor
Staff member
Sep 1, 1996
England
>>> Plenty of time to clutter it up again

Oh yes!

I have reinstated a recent messages link. May move it in due course but it is there.

Thanks for the comments they really help.

Mark Baber

Jul 4, 2000
Hey, Phil---

On the new MB "Last Day" index page, there's a white box in the gray background and, after reading a topic, the topic name and the authors' names turn a shade of light blue (?) which is next to impossible to see.

Ernie Luck

Nov 24, 2004
I don't like the very narrow posting area or the frequent pop-up's. Perhaps it's my resistance to change. "If it ain't broke, don't mend it"

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Hopefully the varying width of the posting area (exceedingly narrow in this thread at the moment) is a temporary hiccup while the new layout is being sorted. It seems that the Google ad block is pushing the post column to one side, but in some threads it's actually covering part of the topmost posts. Obviously not intended.

Philip Hind

Editor
Staff member
Sep 1, 1996
England
It's a little painful to rejig all this in public but the nature of the software limits how much can be done offline. I hope you'll be patient with me!

The only way the ads could distort the page that I can think of is if you were running your screen in low resolution...e.g. 800x600 or below. I would recommend running your screen at 1024x768 or above there should be no distortion.

However I will try a narrower ad box for the message board pages..

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
No worries, Phil, I know from experience that it's not easy to work on a site that's up and running - it's like servicing a car while it's on the move!

I'm using 1024x768, but right now my screen looks like it did years ago when I was on 800x600 (nostalgic, I'll admit). Just my preference, but I'd be inclined to place the Google additions above or below the posting columns (where they were before?). That way Google are happy because their messages can appear adjacent to the latest post, and I for one would be happy to get the full page width back for reading and posting.

Dave Gittins

Mar 16, 2000
Users of Windows XP can make it look even better.

Follow the sequence Start, Display, Appearance, Effects. There's a box marked "Use the following method to smooth edges of screen font."

Select Clear Type and click OK.

At 800 x 600, you'll see a screen that is very clear, even to my dodgy eyes. (Violin offstage)

Status
Not open for further replies.