Evacutation process near the bow

Chung Rex

Dec 25, 2006
Good morning,

I am curious about the evacuation process of the area on or near the bow, notably the first 5 watertight compartments and area above them. How were the people inside these areas evacuated? When were they evacuated and where did they go?

I was not sure whether the evacuation process was abruptly halted or not, when the forecastle deck was flooded such that any doors connecting the bow interior and upper deck were under water. Could anyone near the bow were left behind, say at about 1.40 a.m.?

Nice day,

Rex

TimTurner

Dec 11, 2012
To understand this, you need to understand the compartmentalization of the bow.

----------------------------------
The first compartment was mostly the chain locker for the anchor an such, so there wasn't anyone to really evacuate.

The second compartment was crew quarters all the way up to the top deck. The crew would have been either at work or helping handle the passengers. I imagine they were mostly self-evacuating, since they were up and about, running around the ship.

The third compartment was mostly cargo, with two decks of 3rd class below the watertight bulkheads. One of these decks was open berthing. Above the watertight bulkheads is Scotland Road running down the ship, and a two-story stair leading to the forward well deck.

The fourth compartment was the coal bunkers, the mail room, and one and one half decks of 3rd class men's berthing, which also open up into the same place as the 3rd compartment.

The fifth compartment was Boiler room 6 and 1 deck of third class men's staterooms.
-----------------------------------

Most of these people could have gone up a deck or two and had access to Scotland Road, from which they could get either to the forward well deck, or to the evacuation stairway at the aft of Scotland Road, leading up to the boat deck.

There are lots of big pockets where someone could have been trapped, if they hadn't evacuated quickly, when the crew went door-to-door and began waking up passengers.